Medical Subject Headings (MeSH®) in MEDLINE®/PubMed®: A Tutorial
Most concepts cannot be adequately described with a single MeSH term. Coordination is the use of a combination of the appropriate MeSH headings, subheadings, and check tags to index a concept as specifically as possible.
Coordination can be accomplished by:
- Using a subheading to describe a specific aspect of a MeSH heading
- Using two MeSH headings
- Coordinating subheadings on two or more headings
- Coordinating a major (asterisked) MeSH heading with a non-major (non-asterisked) MeSH heading that further describes the concept
- Coordinating a heading with one or more check tags
- Indexing a "pre-coordinated" MeSH heading which combines two concepts into one
The following pages show examples of each type of coordination.