Automatic Term Mapping (continued)
Again, the first place PubMed looks for a match for your search is in the MeSH Translation Table. This table contains:
- MeSH Headings
- Publication Types
- Entry Term mappings (also known as synonyms) for MeSH terms
- Mappings derived from the Unified Medical Language System® (UMLS®)
- Supplementary Concepts and synonyms to the Supplementary Concepts
1. If the term reconstruction is searched, PubMed will find a match for this in the MeSH Translation table.
2. Reconstruction is a synonym for the MeSH term, Reconstructive Surgical Procedures.
3. PubMed will search using the MeSH term as well as the term originally entered. In addition, both the entered term and the "mapped to" MeSH term will also be searched in All Fields. [Show Me]
PubMed automatically searches the MeSH headings as well as the more specific terms underneath that heading (if there are any) in the MeSH hierarchy. This is referred to as exploding the term.