Clinical Queries: Clinical Study Categories
This specialized search query is intended for clinicians and has built-in search "filters" based on research done by R. Brian Haynes, M.D., Ph.D. at McMaster University in Canada.
Five study categories or filters are provided: [Show Me]
- Therapy (default)
- Clinical prediction guides
Two scope filters are provided: [Show Me]
- Broad: Sensitive search – includes relevant citations but probably less relevant; will retrieve more (default)
- Narrow: Specific search – will get more precise, relevant citations but less retrieval
Click the Steps to run the demonstration.
Using the rash fever example, let’s change the default filters on the Clinical Study Categories to Diagnosis with a Narrow scope.
- Step 1: Select the Category, Diagnosis
- Step 2: Select the Scope, Narrow. Notice the decrease in results.
- Step 3: Click See all to run the search in PubMed.