CatfilePlus and Serfile in XML Format
Last modified: November 29, 2004
This document is prepared for those who lease CatfilePlus in XML and Serfile in XML from NLM, as well as other interested parties. Other sections will be added in the future and revisions will be made as needed.
- CatfilePlus in XML and Serfile in XML Element Descriptions and their Attributes
- Additional Sources of Information
CatfilePlus in XML and Serfile in XML originates from MARC 21-formatted bibliographic data from NLM's LocatorPlus online catalog. LocatorPlus records meeting the appropriate selection criteria are exported; the data is manipulated to more closely match the format of the MEDLINE bibliographic citations and then output into XML.
The LocatorPlus fact sheet is available at http://www.nlm.nih.gov/pubs/factsheets/locatorplus.html.
All files of Catfile in XML and Serfile in XML are distributed to licensees via ftp.
The basefiles contain all records meeting the appropriate selection criteria in LocatorPlus as of the end of the previous production year. Multiple files will be required to obtain the basefiles; specifics will be provided at the start of the new year to all licensees.
The monthly update files contain records meeting the appropriate selection criteria in LocatorPlus and which were added, maintained, or deleted during a single calendar month. Records are selected and exported from LocatorPlus on the first day of the following month. However, those picking up monthly files are advised to wait until at least the third day of the month, in case the posting of the files has been delayed. File names carry the date the file was created. If multiple files are obtained and loaded into a database at the same time, they must be loaded in chronological order, starting with the oldest file.
With rare exception, all records for a given month will be in one file, but those picking up files should be aware of the possibility of multiple files. A web-based Update/Documentation Chart summarizing the contents of monthly Catfile in XML and Serfile in XML updates is in development.
During November and December there may be schedule changes and/or a hiatus in distribution as NLM makes the transition to the new year's Medical Subject Headings (MeSH®) within LocatorPlus. Any hiatus will be announced to licensees in advance, along with information about the resumption of distribution. All adds, updates and deletes accomplished in LocatorPlus during the hiatus are tracked for later distribution to licensees.
ADDITIONAL SOURCES OF INFORMATION
Refer to NLM's web page for prospective licensees at http://www.nlm.nih.gov/databases/leased.html and the page for existing licensees at http://www.nlm.nih.gov/bsd/licensee/. These pages contain links to items including:
* the License Agreement required for leasing CatfilePlus (in MARC 21 or XML format) or Serfile (in MARC 21 or XML format), as well as MEDLINE and other NLM products and databases
* instructions on how to lease CatfilePlus, Serfile and other databases from NLM
* the NLMCatalogRecord.dtd used for CatfilePlus in XML and Serfile in XML, as well as other NLM DTDs
* descriptions of the data elements and attribute values applicable to CatfilePlus in XML and Serfile in XML
* sets of sample records for CatfilePlus in XML and Serfile in XML, as well as sample sets of XML records from other NLM products and databases
* the character set used in the XML versions of CatfilePlus and Serfile
* the MARC 21 language codes (see: http://www.loc.gov/marc/languages/langhome.html) and country codes (see http://www.loc.gov/marc/countries/) which are used in all NLM catalog records distributed in either MARC 21 or XML format
* announcements to licensees