Common Data Element (CDE) Resource Portal
CDE Resources can be categorized by the subject areas of their CDEs. Descriptions of each subject area can be found below.
Subject areas for NIH CDE Initiatives or NIH CDE Tools and Resources are arranged in tables so they can be easily compared.
To see the particular Domains found in selected CDE Resources, visit the Domains page.
Subject Area Descriptions
- Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Substances - Prior and current use of alcohol, tobacco, and other non-therapeutic substances.
- Anthropometrics - Physical measurements of the subject's body.
- Biospecimens - Materials taken from the human body for diagnosis or analysis.
- Cancer - Cancer screening, diagnosis, and treatment, and family history of cancer.
- Cardiovascular and Circulatory - Health, diseases, and conditions of the circulatory system. Also includes the lymphatic system.
- Demographics and Patient Contact Information - Basic characteristics such as sex, age, and race as well as more detailed information. Address, phone number, email address, and other contact details for subjects.
- Diabetes and Other Endocrine - Diabetes screening, diagnosis, and treatment, and family history of diabetes. Also health, diseases, and conditions of the endocrine system.
- Environmental Exposures - Prior and current environmental and occupational exposure to carcinogens and other hazards.
- Excretory - Health, diseases, and conditions of the excretory system.
- Gastrointestinal - Health, diseases, and conditions of the gastrointestinal system.
- Infectious Diseases and Immunity - Prior and current infectious diseases. Also includes assessment of the immune system.
- Laboratory Tests - How tests and exams were conducted during the study as well as the results.
- Medical History - Prior and current medical status, including general health and diagnoses of any diseases or conditions.
- Medications, Devices, and Treatments - Prior and current medications, devices, and other treatments.
- Neurology - Health, diseases, and conditions of the nervous system, including neurological and neuromuscular diseases.
- Nutrition and Dietary Supplements - Prior and current nutritional status, including eating habits and dietary supplements.
- Ocular - Eye health, diseases, and conditions.
- Oral - Oral health, diseases, and conditions.
- Physical Function - Physical function including activity and fitness.
- Physical Symptoms - Manifestations of physical symptoms such as pain and fatigue.
- Psychiatric - Psychiatric health, diseases, and conditions.
- Psychosocial - Assessment of psychological and social health.
- Reproductive - Health, diseases, and conditions of the reproductive system. Also includes sexual function and reproductive history.
- Respiratory - Health, diseases, and conditions of the respiratory system.
- Skin, Bone, Muscle and Joint - Health, diseases, and conditions of the skin, bones, muscles, and joints.
- Social Environments - Social environment, including support networks as well as socioeconomic details that could affect health.
- Speech and Hearing - Health, diseases, and conditions associated with speech and hearing.
- Study Details - Experimental design and the compliance of subjects in the study.