Skip Navigation Bar

Grants and Funding: Extramural Programs (EP)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

FAQ Pages

Extensions, changes and reports

Q: Can I extend the period of my grant?

A: The grant's project period can be extended without additional funds for a period of up to 12 months beyond the original expiration date as referenced in the Notice of Award. Effective October 1, 2011, grantees must use the No-Cost Extension feature in the eRA Commons to notify NLM when they exercise their one-time authority to extend the final budget period of their grant. NLM will no longer accept these notifications via other means. See The Program Officer may request a progress report to cover the final budget period that preceded the extension. In extending the final budget period through this process, the grantee agrees to update all required certifications and assurances, including those pertaining to human subjects and animal welfare, in accordance with applicable regulations and policies. All terms and conditions of the original award continue during the extension period.

Q: What kinds of changes require pre-approval by NLM staff?

A: Changes such as change in work scope, change in key personnel, change of grantee organization, etc. always require prior approval by NLM Program Staff. Prior approval is required to rebudget funds awarded for trainee stipends as well as tuition and fees on NLM training grants or from patient care costs on traditional research grants. In most cases you may rebudget funds from one category to another without prior NLM Program Staff approval. However, there are some budget categories that do require prior approval to changes. For a complete list and explanation of actions that require NLM Program or Grants Management Staff prior approval. Refer to for specific information.

Q: What documentation is needed to make changes to my grant?

A: A request for a change of principal investigator is made via a countersigned letter (signed by the principal investigator and the administrative official listed on the face page of the grant application). Most other changes can be negotiated through electronic communication with NLM staff assigned to your grant. If using e-mail, follow the guidelines described at for requesting changes that need prior approval.

Q: If I change institutions during the grant, can I take the grant funding with me?

A: You can change institutions in most instances. A request for a change of institutions must be submitted to the designated Grants Management Staff and must be accompanied by a Relinquishing Statement (PHS 3734) and a Final Invention Statement (HHS 568) as well as an application (PHS 398) from the proposed grantee. It is strongly recommended that you consult with your Program Officer if you are considering a change of institutions. For additional information, see

Q: What if I need more money?

A: Budget supplements may be allowed, depending on the priority of the project and the availability of funds. Contact the NLM Program Staff responsible for your grant to discuss the availability of a budget supplement.

Q: My Notice of Grant Award says the grant is subject to Streamlined Noncompeting Award Procedures (SNAP) - what does that mean?

A: If your grant is subject to SNAP, some reporting requirements for your annual progress report are relaxed. See for details.

Q: If I invent something during my grant, who owns the invention?

A: If research findings result in inventions, grantees have the right to retain title to these inventions, as long as they abide by the provisions of the Bayh-Dole Act of 1980, as implemented in 37 CFR 401, for their utilization, commercialization, and public availability. NIH requires that some form of public access be provided the results and accomplishments of activities that it funds. See for more specific details.

Q: Who owns the equipment and material purchased with grant funds?

A: The grantee owns equipment and material purchased with grant funds unless the Notice of Grant Award specifies something different.

Q: What kinds of reports are required during the grant period?

A: A progress report is due two months before the end of each year of grant-funded activity, and your program officer may request a progress report at any time. Progress reports for non-competing grant periods use PHS Form 2590 at Progress reports may exceed the 2-page guideline specified in PHS 2590.

Q: What kinds of final reports are required after the grant ends?

A: Three reports are due when grant funding ends: a Financial Status Report (SF 269A) or (SF 269), a Final Project Progress Report, and a Final Invention Statement. The forms for these reports are available online. See the listing of reports and forms at Final progress reports, since they report on the entire grant project, usually exceed the 2-page guideline.