History of Medicine
Education: Higher Education
The Healing Elements: A Native Hawaiian Perspective
Class 5. Kanaloa Kaho‘olawe: Land, Identity, and Health
This fourth case study reviews the history of the island, Kanaloa Kaho‘olawe to examine the interrelation of land and identity in the collective health of Native Hawaiians. Issues involving the island of Kanaloa Kaho‘olawe served as a catalyst for the Native Hawaiian cultural renaissance and sovereignty movement. The objective is for the learners to demonstrate a basic understanding of the efforts of Native Hawaiians to perpetuate their cultural practices as integral to their identity, health and well-being.
- McGregor, Davianna. Kua‘āina: Living Hawaiian Culture. Honolulu: UH Press, 2007: 249-285.
- Lum, Burt. “Kaho‘olawe and the Makahiki Ceremony: The Healing of an Island.” Special issue (Hawai‘i), Californian Journal of Health Promotion 1 (2003): 25-33. Available online at http://www.cjhp.org/Volume1_2003/IssueHI-TEXTONLY/25-33-lum.pdf (accessed on 3/6/2013).
- “Kaho‘olawe — a Sacred Island Restored.” Kaho‘olawe UXO Clearance Project. Filmed circa 2002-2003. YouTube video, 9:56. Posted February 7, 2009. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gXxb9RpOQQ (accessed on 3/6/2013)
- Alvarez, Damien. “Kaho‘olawe April 2008.” Kaho‘olawe Island Reserve Commission. Filmed April 2008. YouTube video, 9:57. Posted April 16, 2008. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-eQgWxBnM4&feature=fvwrel (accessed on 3/6/2013)
- “13 Things I learned at Kaho‘olawe.” The Pinky Show. YouTube video, 7:06. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6iVUNHLJBw&feature=related (accessed on 3/6/2013)
- Ishii, Jenna and Ryan. “Journey to Kaho‘olawe.” Filmed May 2009. Vimeo vodeo, 29:30. Posted August 5, 2010. http://vimeo.com/13535018 (accessed on 3/6/2013)
Students read McGregor and Lum, and view videos available online.
Teachers provide an overview history of Kaho‘olawe, including images, and lead the students in a discussion of the following questions.
- Historically, what role did the island of Kanaloa Kaho‘olawe play in the training of navigators and in wayfinding voyages between Hawai‘i and Tahiti?
- What role did the island of Kanaloa Kaho‘olawe play in the renaissance of Hawaiian culture?
- What role does Kanaloa Kaho‘olawe play in the health of Native Hawaiians?
- Why is Kanaloa Kaho‘olawe such a powerful icon for Native Hawaiians and for Native Hawaiian health?
- What are examples of places which define the identity of Americans of various ethnicities and communities?
- Do these places play a role in the health of these ethnic groups and/or communities?
Back to top