History of Medicine
Darwin for Children and Youth continued
15. Manning, Mick and Brita Granstrom. What Mr Darwin Saw. London: Frances Lincoln Children’s, 2009.
This illustrated book is written in diary form and details Darwin’s journey on the Beagle.
16. Markle, Sandra and Zina Saunders. Animals Charles Darwin Saw: An Around-the-World Adventure. San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 2009.
This book focuses on the many animals encountered by Darwin on his journey around the world on the Beagle.
17. McGinty, Alice B. and Mary Azarian. Darwin. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2009.
This picture book is a biography of Darwin that uses his own words to show how he developed his ideas of survival of the fittest.
18. Meyer, Carolyn. The True Adventures of Charley Darwin. Boston: Harcourt Children’s Books, 2009.
This book tells the story of Darwin’s life and adventures, focusing especially on his young life.
19. Moore, Heidi. Charles Darwin. Chicago: Raintree, 2009.
Part of the Great Naturalists series, this book presents a biography of Darwin.
20. Nardo, Don. Charles Darwin. Farmington Hills, MI: Lucent Books, 2005.
This biography profiles Darwin and includes information about his voyages, discoveries, writing, and personal life.
21. Nardo, Don. Origin of Species: Darwin’s Theory of Evolution. San Diego: Lucent Books, 2001.
This book provides a biography of Darwin and details his work on evolution, as well as views on evolution both before and after his theory.
22. Parker, Steve. Charles Darwin. London: Belitha, 2002.
This book is a biography of Darwin detailing his young life, his journey on the Beagle, and his theories of evolution.
23. Patent, Dorothy Hinshaw. Charles Darwin: the Life of a Revolutionary Thinker. New York: Holiday House, 2001.
This biography focuses on the scientific parts of Darwin’s life, tying his work on natural selection into medical challenges that still exist today and debunking several myths about him.
24. Pollard, Michael. Giants of Science—Charles Darwin. Farmington Hills, MI: Blackbirch Press, 2002.
This book provides biographical information about Darwin, emphasizing his scientific work.
25. Schanzer, Rosalyn. What Darwin Saw: The Journey that Changed the World. Washington, DC: National Geographic, 2009.
This book traces Darwin’s voyage around the world on the Beagle, leading readers through the entries in his journals.
26. Senker, Cath. Charles Darwin. Austin: Raintree Steck-Vaughn, 2002.
This biography provides Darwin’s life story, explains his theories of evolution and natural selection, and discusses his contributions to the field of science.
27. Sis, Peter. The Tree of Life: A Book Depicting the Life of Charles Darwin, Naturalist, Geologist & Thinker. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2003.
This illustrated biography of Darwin uses passages of his own words to present his life story.
28. Weaver, Anne H. and George Lawrence. The Voyage Of the Beetle: A Journey Around the World with Charles Darwin and the Search for the Solution to the Mystery of Mysteries, as Narrated by Rosie, an Articulate Beetle. Albuquerque: U of New Mexico P, 2007.
Darwin considered the presence of the variety of living things, each suited to its environment, the “mystery of mysteries” and began developing the theory of natural selection while aboard the Beagle to solve this mystery. This illustrated book takes the reader on this voyage, guided by a beetle named Rosie, and gives clues to help the reader solve the mystery.
29. Whiting, Jim. Charles Darwin and the Origin of the Species. Newark, DE: Mitchell Lane Publishers, Inc., 2006.
This book describes Darwin’s voyage on the Beagle and his theory of evolution.
30. Wood, A. J. Darwin’s Notebook. Dorking, GB: Templar, 2009.
Presented in an illustrated notebook form, this book contains information about Darwin’s travels aboard the Beagle and his theory of evolution.