Skip Navigation Bar
 

Objects of Art: Models of NLM Buildings

Location: Lower lobby of Building 38A

Four models of the NLM buildings

These models of former residences of the National Library of Medicine were designed in the early 1960's and presented to the Library under the Gillmore bequest. They are (from left to right):

(1) The Riggs Bank Building, 15th and Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Washington, D. C. where the Library was shelved in the front parlor from 1862 to 1866 and the small building on the left was the headquarters of the Surgeon General from 1862 to 1888;

Riggs Bank Building from the 19th century

(2) the Ford's Theatre, first permanent home of the Army Surgeon General's Library (1866-1886)

Ford's Theater

(3) the Library building and Army Medical Museum on the Mall, Seventh and Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C., designed by Dr. John Shaw Billings, the first director, where the collection was housed from 1887 to 1961;

Library building and Army Medical Museum on the Mall

and (4) the National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, Maryland, completed in 1962, the current home of the Library

National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, Maryland

[ Back ] [ Table of Contents ] [ Next ]