History of Medicine
Images from the History of Medicine (IHM)
Question: How do I use Advanced Search?
Use the Advanced Search option to perform complex searches or to search for specific database terms, where you do not know their exact spelling.
- Select a specific data field from the drop down menu to search in.
- Enter search terms in one of 3 search options:
- “find all these words” – will search for all the words in any order, similar to using “and”. The search results will contain only those images containing the terms you entered. For example, if you select the data field “Subject (MeSH Term)”, and enter the terms “health education”, the results will be limited to images with the terms health AND education in the Subject (MeSH Term) data field.
- “find any of these words” – will search for any of the words, similar to using “or”. For example, if you select the field “Title” and enter the terms “AIDS SIDA”, the results will be limited to images with either the term AIDS OR SIDA in the Title data field.
- “find this exact wording” – will search for all of the words in the exact order you enter them. This option also provides you with a speed search feature. As soon as you begin typing you will see existing terms from the collection, making it easy to select specific terms.
As you begin to enter terms to search by, you will see how the search query is being built.
- You can continue to add values to your search using one of the 3 options, or a combination of them. Click on the + icon, to choose additional data fields and add additional search terms. To expand your search, change And to Or in the drop down menu.
- Click on the Search button.
- Related Questions:
- FAQs - Images from the History of Medicine (IHM)