History of Medicine
A History of The National Library of Medicine:
The Nation's Treasury of Medical Knowledge
by Wyndham D. Miles
This PDF edition of the first history of NLM, originally published in 1984, was produced as part of an outreach collaboration between the History of Medicine Division, the Office of Health Information and Policy Development, and NLM's Listening Circles with Native American tribal groups. Scanning services were provided by MHA Systems, Inc., MHA Nations (Parshall, ND).
- Front Page, Preface, and Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Beginning Of The Library...
- Chapter 2: Development Of The Library During The Civil War
- Chapter 3: The National Medical Library
- Chapter 4: The Great Journal Hunt
- Chapter 5: Gathering Books And Other Literature...
- Chapter 6: The Operation And Services...
- Chapter 7: The Beginning Of Indexing...
- Chapter 8: Index-Catalogue And Index Medicus
- Chapter 9: Billings Seeks A Building...
- Chapter 10: The Library-Museum Building On The Mall
- Chapter 11: Leaders Of The Library, 1895-1913
- Chapter 12: The Library In Operation, 1895-1913
- Chapter 13: The Library During World War I
- Chapter 14: The Library In The 1920's
- Chapter 15: The Library During The Depression
- Chapter 16: The Library On The Eve Of World War II
- Chapter 17: The End Of The Old Library
- Chapter 18: Modernizing The Library
- Chapter 19: The Army Medical Library Becomes The National Library Of Medicine
- Chapter 20: Evolution Of Computerized Bibliographies
- Chapter 21: The Library's Program For Awarding Grants
- Chapter 22: The Specialized Information Services
- Chapter 23: The Lister Hill National Center...
- Chapter 24: The National Medical Audiovisual Center
- Chapter 25: Extensions Of Traditional Library Service