Recovery Priority during the first 24-48 hours:
- Immediately freeze if there are too many to air dry within the first 24 hours.
- Shrinkage and distortions increase with wetness and the degree of uncontrolled drying.
- Animal skin becomes very limp when moist and gel-like if left wet for too long.
- Extremely wet vellum or parchment may be very fragile, so handle gently with support underneath.
- Keep weakened books intact; do not open text block or remove covers unless needed. Do not tightly compress items.