National Information Center on Health Services Research and Health Care Technology (NICHSR)
Serving the Information Needs of the Health Services Research Community
HSR General Resources
- Data, Tools and Statistics
- HSR Social Media Resources
- Education and Training
- Grants, Funding and Fellowships
- Guidelines, Journals Other Publications
- Key Organizations
- Meetings and Conferences
- State Resources
- Aging Population Issues
- Comparative Effectiveness Research (CER)
- Child Health Services Research
- Evaluation Resources for Assessing HIT Systems and HIT Implementation, Adoption and Use
- Dissemination and Implementation Science
- Evidence-Based Practice and Health Technology Assessment
- Health Care Reform, Health Economics, and Health Policy
- Health Disparities
- Health Informatics
- Health Literacy and Cultural Competence New
- Privacy/Security and Research with Electronic Health Records
- Public Health Services and Systems Research
- Rural Health
A to Z Index
All Web sites in alphabetic order
- Laboratory Quality Assurance and Standardization Programs - Given the importance of laboratory test results, the CDC has programs to help assure the quality of these data so patients and healthcare providers (as well as researchers and public health officials) can be confident that laboratory test results they receive are accurate.
- Large Research Projects for Prevention and Management of Healthcare-Associated Infections (R01)
- Large Simple Trials and Knowledge Generation in a Learning Health System: Workshop Summary - Based on a workshop held on November 26 and 27, 2012 by the Roundtable on Value & Science-Driven Health Care, this summary looks at the pros and cons of the design characteristics of large simple trials.
- Latino Roundtable - The agenda and slides for this roundtable, which took place on July 23rd, 2013, and which discussed the experiences of Latino patients, healthcare professionals, and the organizations in relation to patient-centered research, is available.
- LawAtlas: Policy Surveillance Portal - This is a gateway to key laws aimed at improving our health or access to health care. It includes interactive maps, policy surveillance reports, and downloadable data.
- Laying the IT Foundation for 2014: Developing Infrastructure for Improved Eligibility and Enrollment Systems - In a set of slides from a webinar held on December 19, 2011, the issues surrounding technology implementation needed to support health insurance exchanges as they determine eligibility and enroll consumers in coverage.
- Leadership Council of Aging Organizations
- Leading Health Indicators - Healthy People 2020 provides a comprehensive set of 10-year, national goals and objectives for improving the health of all Americans.
- LeadingAge - The LeadingAge community includes U.S. not-for-profit organizations, state partners, businesses, research partners, consumer organizations, foundations and a broad global network of aging services organizations that reach over 30 countries. The work of LeadingAge is focused on advocacy, leadership development, and applied research and promotion of effective services, home health, hospice, community services, senior housing, assisted living residences, continuing care communities, nursing homes, as well as technology solutions, to seniors, children, and others with special needs.
- The LeapFrog Group - Voluntary program aimed at mobilizing employer purchasing power to alert America's health industry that big leaps in health care safety, quality and customer value will be recognized and rewarded.
- Learning What Works: Infrastructure Required for Comparative Effectiveness Research (CER): Workshop Summary - This 2011 publication provides a summary of an IOM CER publication.
- Legal Analysis and Law Articles on Health Care, HIPPA, Stark law, Medicare and Medicaid, Anti-Kickback Statutes, Fraud and Abuse - The National Law Review is a free resource of health care legal articles addressing regulatory developments, contractual obligations and disputes for both profit and not for profit health care organizations.
- Legal and Policy Challenges to Secondary Uses of Information from Electronic Clinical Health Records - This paper explores the legal and policy challenges associated with secondary use of electronic clinical data.
- Legislation and Congressional Activities - Allows users to learn about recent events on the Hill as they relate to cancer research, or check the status of pending legislation and find out about hearings of interest to cancer research and advocacy communities.
- Lessons from High- and Low-Performing States for Raising Overall Health System Performance - The authors find that while socioeconomic and demographic factors certainly play a large role in overall health system performance, high-performing states share a number of additional attributes not typically found among the low performers. These include a history of continuous reform and government leadership in this area; a culture of collaboration among health care stakeholders; transparency of information on price and quality; and a congruent set of policies focusing on system improvement.
- Leveraging Mobile Health (mHealth) Solutions for Health Services Research Upcoming Webinars - A session of this series will be held: Date: December 3, 2012 Time: 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm ET Commentator: Brian C. Quinn, Ph.D. (RWJ) Faculty: Amy Abernethy, MD, (Duke). Previous webinars are also available
- The Lewin Group Center for Comparative Effectiveness Research - The Center manages, conducts, interprets, and supports the use of comparative effectiveness research (CER) to inform decisions that help achieve the most effective patient outcomes, health care policies, and deployment of health care resources.
- Lexicon for Behavioral Health and Primary Care Integration - This booklet begins the process of creating a shared vocabulary for behavioral health and primary care.
- Limited Competition: NIMHD Research Centers in Minority Institutions Infrastructure for Clinical and Translational Research (RCTR) [U54] - This grant would support the development of infrastructure required for clinical and translational research in institutions funded via the RCMI program.
- Limited Evidence To Connect Cost Of Health Care To Quality - Recent research examines the link between healthcare costs and quality, examining 61 published studies to determine the relationship.
- Linking Depressed Mothers to Effective Services and Supports: A Policy and Systems Agenda to Enhance Children's Development and Prevent Child Abuse and Neglect: Summary of the May 2013 Culminating Roundtable - The results of a meeting, held May 13 and 14, 2013, are summarized here, with emphasis placed on the effects of untreated maternal depression on children.
- Lister Hill Center for Health Policy, UAB - Located in the School of Public Health of the University of Alabama at Birmingham, this endowed Center has a university-wide mission to facilitate the conduct of health policy research and to disseminate the findings of that research beyond the usual academic channels.
- Literacy and Health in America - This policy information report from 2004 builds on two prior reports to demonstrate the effects of literacy on health status.
- Local Health Departments in the News - Ongoing, publicly-available collection of news stories about public health issues facing communities across the nation. News clips are searchable by state or in the following subject areas: budget cuts, County Health Rankings, H1N1, good news and more.
- LocatorPlus - Search for books, journals and audiovisuals in the NLM collections.
- Long-Term Care Interest Group - The mission of the Long-Term Care Interest Group is to foster the development of the information base needed for policy and practice to meet the growing need for Long-Term Care.
- Long-Term Services and Supports in the Financial Alignment Demonstrations for Dual Eligible Beneficiaries - Using data from 7 states (CA, IL, MA, NY, OH, SC, VA) that tested a capitated model, this issue brief compares the treatment of long-term services and supports.
- Louis Burns Talks About Lowering Cost Technology to Improve Patient Care - Video Presentation - The presentation was made on 21 June 2012, at the America's Health Insurance Plans Institute 2012 in Salt Lake City, UT.
- Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals - The mission of the Department of Health and Hospitals is to protect and promote health and to ensure access to medical, preventive, and rehabilitative services for all citizens of the State of Louisiana.
- Low-Cost, Pragmatic, Patient-Centered Randomized Controlled Intervention Trials (UH2/UH3) - This grant will support research into low-cost, pragmatic randomized controlled trials, which seek to determine the effectiveness of an intervention in a real world setting.