National Information Center on Health Services Research and Health Care Technology (NICHSR)
Serving the Information Needs of the Health Services Research Community
HSR General Resources
- Data, Tools and Statistics
- HSR Social Media Resources
- Education and Training
- Grants, Funding and Fellowships
- Guidelines, Journals Other Publications
- Key Organizations
- Meetings and Conferences
- State and State/Local Resources
- Aging Population Issues
- Community Benefit / Community Health Needs Assessment
- Comparative Effectiveness Research (CER)
- Child Health Services Research
- Evaluation Resources for Assessing HIT Systems and HIT Implementation, Adoption and Use
- Dissemination and Implementation Science
- Evidence-Based Practice and Health Technology Assessment
- Health Care Reform, Health Economics, and Health Policy
- Health Disparities
- Health Informatics
- Health Literacy and Cultural Competence
- Privacy/Security and Research with Electronic Health Records
- Public Health Services and Systems Research
- Rural Health
News about Health Services Research
News items 4 weeks and older are available on the News Archive Web page.
- PPRN Research Demonstration Projects PFA: Applicant Town Hall - (Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) US) - 28-AUG-2015 Tuesday, September 1, 2015 - 03:00 pm to 04:40 pm EDT
- Exploring Opportunities for Collaboration Between Health and Education to Improve Population Health: Workshop Summary (2014) - (National Academy of Medicine (NAM)) - 28-AUG-2015 The results of a workshop held June 5, 2014, this report looks at the ways in which the health and education sectors can work together to achieve improvements in both health status and educational achievement.
- Comment requested: EPC Methods: An Exploration of the Use of Text-Mining Software in Systematic Reviews - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - 28-AUG-2015 The comment period is open until Sept. 22, 2015 at 11:59pm (ET)
- The California Health Care Landscape - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 26-AUG-2015 A new fact sheet looks at California's data related to population health, health coverage, and the health care delivery system.
- Medicare's Hospital-Acquired Condition Reduction Program - (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)) - 26-AUG-2015 This issue brief describes a new CMS program that attempts to decrease preventable conditions by reducing payments to the lowest-performing hospitals.
- PCORI in Practice: Highlighting PCORnet Opportunities for General Internists - (Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) US) - 26-AUG-2015 Registration is open for this webinar, being held Tuesday, September 8, 2015 from 11:30 am to 12:30 pm EDT.
- AHRQ Issue Brief: Harnessing the Power of Data - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - 26-AUG-2015 A new issue brief describes for clinicians the ways in which AHRQ harnesses the power of big data in a way that is revolutionizing health care and fostering personalized medicine.
- A Look at the Private Option in Arkansas - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 26-AUG-2015 This issue brief examines the results of the Arkansas demonstration waiver project, which requires most adults who are newly eligible for coverage through the Affordable Care Act's Medicaid expansion to enroll in Marketplace plans, often referred to as the "private option," and has allowed Arkansas to cover close to 220,000 Medicaid beneficiaries with commercial provider networks and strengthen its Marketplace.
- The Employment/Eligibility Service (EES) System: A New Gateway for Employment Supports and Social Security Disability Benefits - (Mathematica Policy Research, Inc.) - 25-AUG-2015 A new paper discusses the creation of an Employment/Eligibility Service agency, through which disabled workers could access an integrated gateway for employment supports and SSDI benefits.
- Innovations in Design and Utilization of Measurement Systems to Promote Children's Cognitive, Affective, and Behavioral Health: Workshop Summary (2015) - (National Academy of Medicine (NAM)) - 25-AUG-2015 The results of a workshop held November 14-16, 2014, this report is a summary of the discussion concerning innovative design and utilization of measurement systems, new approaches to building on existing data systems, and new data systems that could support the cognitive, affective, and behavioral health and well-being of children.
- How Many Employers Could be Affected by the Cadillac Plan Tax? - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 25-AUG-2015 This report examines the potential effects of the Affordable Care Act's high-cost plan tax (HCPT) (or "Cadillac plan" tax) on employer decisions about their health benefits.
- Competition Among Medicare's Private Health Plans: Does It Really Exist? - (Commonwealth Fund) - 25-AUG-2015 A new study finds that 97% of insurance markets in U.S. counties are highly concentrated and therefore lacking in Medicare Advantage plan competition.
- Clinical Transformation in the Beacon Communities: Evaluation of the BEACON Community Cooperative Agreement Program - 24-AUG-2015 This report from NORC looks at 'the Communities' application of health IT and performance measurement infrastructure to achieve clinical transformation.
- Census Bureau Announces Schedule for Income, Poverty and Health Insurance Statistics and American Community Survey Results - (U.S. Census Bureau) - 20-AUG-2015 The U.S. Census Bureau announced today the schedule for the 2014 income, poverty and health insurance coverage statistics from the Annual Social and Economic Supplement to the Current Population Survey, as well as the 2014 American Community Survey releases
- Building a Culture of Engagement for Medicare-Medicaid Enrollees: Health Plan Approaches - (Center for Health Care Strategies (CHCS) USA) - 20-AUG-2015 This Technical Assistance Brief proposes strategies aimed at health plans serving Medicare-Medicaid dual-eligibles with complex medical, behavioral health, and social service needs, towards creating a most trusting environment.
- Most Say They Can Afford Their Prescription Drugs, But One in Four Say Paying is Difficult, Including More Than Four in Ten People Who are Sick - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 20-AUG-2015 The results of the August 2015 Kaiser Tracking Poll.
- Cycle 2 2015 Broad PFA Applicant Town Hall - (Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) US) - 20-AUG-2015 Registration is open for this online training session, being held Tuesday, September 15, 2015 from 11:00 am to 12:30 pm EDT
- Cycle 2 2015 Methods PFA Applicant Town Hall - (Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) US) - 20-AUG-2015 Registration is open for this online seminar, being held Thursday, September 17, 2015 from 11:00 am to 12:30 pm EDT.
- New 2013 and 2014 CHIS: Number of Californians without insurance declines, while Medi-Cal enrollment grows - (UCLA Center for Health Policy Research) - 19-AUG-2015 Since the implementation of the ACA (2013 to 2014), the number of Californians ages 19 to 64 without health insurance declined by 15.5% representing over 655,000 people.
- Realizing the Promise of Telehealth for Children with Special Health Care Needs - (Lucile Packard Foundation for Children's Health USA) - 17-AUG-2015 This report examines the ways in which telemedicine can be used to assist children with special health care needs, and identify barriers to its adoption in California.
- Disparities Within Serious Mental Illness - Open for Comment - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - 14-AUG-2015 The document is open for comment until 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 31, 2015 .
- Lessons from the Small Business Health Options Program: The SHOP Experience in California and Colorado - (Commonwealth Fund) - 13-AUG-2015 This report examines California and Colorado's Small Business Health Options Programs (SHOP), which opened in October 2013.
- Behind at the Starting Line: Poverty Among Hispanic Infants (2015) - 13-AUG-2015 University of New Hampshire has released an issue brief which asks the question: Do Hispanic infants start life's race behind the starting line, poor and disadvantaged?
- Medicaid and Family Planning: Background and Implications of the ACA - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 13-AUG-2015 This issue brief looks at financing family planning within Medicaid.
- Dual Eligible Demonstrations: The Beneficiary Perspective - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 11-AUG-2015 Profiles of six beneficiaries illustrate initial program activities from the perspective of beneficiaries in these three states.
- Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Access to and Utilization of Care among Insured Adults - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 11-AUG-2015 Using data from the 2014 Kaiser Survey of Low-Income Americans this study examines differences in access to and utilization of care for Black and Hispanic adults compared to White adults among those who are uninsured, enrolled in Medicaid, and privately insured.
- Population Health Framework - (National Quality Forum (NQF) USA) - 10-AUG-2015 The purpose of this Action guide and report is to develop a common framework for communities that will offer practical guidance for improving population health
- State Medicaid Eligibility Policies for Individuals Moving Into and Out of Incarceration - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 06-AUG-2015 This brief examines the differences by state, of policies regarding Medicaid coverage for individuals involved with the criminal justice system.
- 2015 Survey of Health Insurance Marketplace Assister Programs and Brokers - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 06-AUG-2015 Conducted from March 31 to May 3, 2015, this survey queried assistance professionals on the status of the ACA from their perspectives.
- The Future of Home Health Care: Workshop Summary (2015) - (National Academy of Medicine (NAM)) - 06-AUG-2015 The results of a workshop, held on September 30 and October 1, 2014, this report examined policy changes and research priorities that can help support older Americans and clarify the value of home health care.
- Primary Care Providers' Views of Recent Trends in Health Care Delivery and Payment: Findings from the Commonwealth Fund/Kaiser Family Foundation 2015 National Survey of Primary Care Providers - (Commonwealth Fund, Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 06-AUG-2015 The results of a survey of physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants on their reactions to recent changes in health care delivery and payment.
- California's Previously Uninsured After The ACA's Second Open Enrollment Period - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 03-AUG-2015 The data in this survey were compared to information acquired from similar surveys in 2013 and 2014. The results of the current survey show a 58% increase from a 2014 survey
- Health and Access to Care and Coverage for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Individuals in the U.S. - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 03-AUG-2015 A new issue brief examines LGBT health status, coverage, and access, and reviews the implications of the ACA and the Supreme Court rulings on marriage equality.
- Marketplace Price Competition in 2014 and 2015: Does Insurer Type Matter in Early Performance? - (Urban Institute (UI)) - 31-JUL-2015 This report is an examination of how the nongroup insurance marketplaces varies by insurer type.
- AHRQ Announces Interest in Innovative Methods Research to Increase the Utility of Systematic Reviews - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - 30-JUL-2015 This Special Emphasis Notice informs the research community that AHRQ intends to support research designed to develop innovative systematic review methods that address the opportunities and challenges of the current era of data abundance, and make systematic reviews both more efficient and salient.
- California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Partners for Breakthrough for Sharing Cancer Data - (California Department of Health) - 30-JUL-2015 California Department of Public Health has announced a new initiative that would collect and transmit structured pathology cancer data directly to the California Cancer Registry.
- Now available: NIST Cybersecurity Practice Guide, Special Publication 1800-1: "Securing Electronic Health Records on Mobile Devices" - 30-JUL-2015 The National Cybersecurity Center of Excellence (NCCoE) has issued a draft of a new practice guide; the period for comments is open until September 25, 2015.