National Information Center on Health Services Research and Health Care Technology (NICHSR)
Serving the Information Needs of the Health Services Research Community
HSR General Resources
- Data, Tools and Statistics
- HSR Social Media Resources
- Education and Training
- Grants, Funding and Fellowships
- Guidelines, Journals Other Publications
- Key Organizations
- Meetings and Conferences
- State and State/Local Resources
- Aging Population Issues
- Community Benefit / Community Health Needs Assessment
- Comparative Effectiveness Research (CER)
- Child Health Services Research
- Evaluation Resources for Assessing HIT Systems and HIT Implementation, Adoption and Use
- Dissemination and Implementation Science
- Evidence-Based Practice and Health Technology Assessment
- Health Care Reform, Health Economics, and Health Policy
- Health Disparities
- Health Informatics
- Health Literacy and Cultural Competence
- Privacy/Security and Research with Electronic Health Records
- Public Health Services and Systems Research
- Rural Health
News about Health Services Research
News items 4 weeks and older are available on the News Archive Web page.
- Community Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation and Systematic Review for High School Completion Programs - 28-MAR-2015 These reports are available online, and will be published on May 20th in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine.
- The Federal Medical Loss Ratio Rule: Implications for Consumers in Year 3 - (Commonwealth Fund) - 26-MAR-2015 A new issue brief looks at the first three years of the Affordable Care Act, and the medical loss ratio (the payment of a minimum percentage of premiums in medical claims or quality improvement expenses) during that period.
- Medicaid Accountable Care Organizations: State Update (2015) - (Center for Health Care Strategies (CHCS) USA) - 26-MAR-2015 This fact sheet discusses the current status of state ACO programs.
- High Value Health IT: Policy Reforms for Better Care and Lower Costs (2015) - (Brookings Institution US) - 25-MAR-2015 This Health Policy Issue Brief describes challenges with existing health IT policy, and suggests solutions.
- Create a Holistic Alarm Management Strategy - (Health Information Management Systems Society (HIMSS)) - 25-MAR-2015 This one hour webinar will be held on Wednesday, April 1, 2015 beginning at 12:00 PM ET.
- Comparison of Consumer Protections in Three Health Insurance Markets: Medicare Advantage, Qualified Health Plans and Medicaid Managed Care Organizations - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 24-MAR-2015 This report examines similarities and differences in federal consumer protection standards for Medicare Advantage plans, QHPs, and Medicaid MCOs.
- Dying in America: Improving Quality and Honoring Individual Preferences Near the End of Life - (Institute of Medicine (IOM)) - 24-MAR-2015 Aimed at meeting the needs of patients and families, as well as policy makers and shareholders, this report offers recommendations in the areas of care delivery, communication, advance planning, professional and public education, and policies and payment systems.
- Spread, Scale, and Sustainability in Population Health-Workshop in Brief - (Institute of Medicine (IOM)) - 24-MAR-2015 The results of a workshop entitled "Achieving Meaningful Population Health Outcomes: A Workshop on Spread and Scale," and held on December 4, 2014 is available in this report
- Do "Consumer-Directed" Health Plans Bend the Cost Curve Over Time? - (National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) USA) - 23-MAR-2015 NBER Working Paper looks at the long-term impact of "Consumer-Directed" Health Plans.
- Medicare and Medicaid Programs: Electronic Health Record Incentive Program Stage 3 - (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)) - 23-MAR-2015 This new rule will be published on 3/30/15. This represents stage 3 of meaningful use.
- Children's Coverage: What Lies Ahead? - (Urban Institute (UI)) - 20-MAR-2015 A new report looks at potential changes in children's health insurance.
- The Future of Home Health Care: Workshop Summary - (Institute of Medicine (IOM)) - 18-MAR-2015 The results of a public workshop, held September 30 and October 1, 2014, examined the future of home health care (especially Medicare home health care), as a support for aging in place within the healthcare marketplace.
- Health Insurance and Farmworker Eligibility - 18-MAR-2015 This factsheet outlines the health insurance status of farmworkers.
- Human Services for Low-Income and At-Risk LGBT Populations: Review Identifies Knowledge Base and Areas for Future Research - (Mathematica Policy Research, Inc.) - 18-MAR-2015 A new issue brief and report examine LGBT populations' characteristics and interactions with human services and identify data gaps.
- High value health IT: Policy reforms for better care and lower costs - (Brookings Institution US) - 18-MAR-2015 A new policy brief looks at the challenges with existing health IT policy, and suggests policy recommendations to address these issues.
- Community Health Centers: A 2013 Profile and Prospects as ACA Implementation Proceeds - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 18-MAR-2015 A new issue brief looks at community health centers and the impact of the ACA on their potential for future service provision.
- Community of Practice for Health Impact Assessment Opportunity - Due April 15th - (National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO)) - 18-MAR-2015 NACCHO is accepting applications for the Community of Practice for Health Impact Assessment (HIA). The application deadline is April 15, 2015.
- How Much Will it Cost?: How Americans Use Prices In Health Care (2015) - (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)) - 18-MAR-2015 A new report from Public Agenda looks at the number of Americans who have tried to find information about health care prices prior to getting health care.
- Data for Health: Learning What Works - (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)) - 18-MAR-2015 On Thursday, April 2, 2015, RWJF will host an event to announce the release of their report from their Data for Health initiative. The event will be live, in Washington DC and available via webcast.
- Communicating to Advance the Public's Health: Workshop Summary - (Institute of Medicine (IOM)) - 17-MAR-2015 The results of a September 22, 2014 workshop on health communication, audiences, and messaging have been released by the IOM.
- Draft Report: Health Information Exchange - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - 16-MAR-2015 This draft report is available for comment until April 8, 2015.
- Integration of Behavioral Health Into Primary Care - 12-MAR-2015 Registration for this meeting, being held in Oakland CA or via webcast is now open. The meeting will be held is Thursday, April 2, 2015.
- Open for Comment: Draft Report: Health Information Exchange - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - 12-MAR-2015 The paper, Health Information Exchange, is open for comment until 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Apr. 8, 2015
- Human Services Program Evaluation: How to Improve Your Accountability and Program Effectiveness - 12-MAR-2015 A manual has been released which describes ways to develop an evaluation program focused on process and outcome measures for human service programs.
- Community Health Status Indicators (CHSI) Website Launch - (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)) - 12-MAR-2015 CDC has released the updated Community Health Status Indicators (CHSI) online tool that produces public health profiles for all 3,143 counties in the United States. Each profile includes key indicators of health outcomes, which describes the population health status of a county and factors that have the potential to influence health outcomes, such as health care access and quality, health behaviors, social factors, and the physical environment.
- Next Generation ACO Model - (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)) - 12-MAR-2015 The Next Generation ACO Model will allow provider groups to assume higher levels of financial risk and reward to test whether strong financial incentives for ACOs, coupled with tools to support better patient engagement and care management, can improve health outcomes and lower expenditures.
- Hospital Reporting on Meaningful Use Public Health Measures in 2014 (2015) - (Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology, HHS (ONC)) - 11-MAR-2015 A new data brief show that more hospitals are using electronically sharing public health data.
- CMS Has Taken Steps to Address Problems, but Needs to Further Implement Systems Development Best Practices (2015) - (Government Accountability Office (GAO) US) - 06-MAR-2015 A new GAO report states that there is still work to be done in improving the Healthcare.gov website.
- Video Defines Population Health - (Institute of Medicine (IOM)) - 06-MAR-2015 The Roundtable on Population Health Improvement presents a video that defines population health.
- Integrating Research and Practice: Health System Leaders Working Toward High-Value Care: Workshop Summary(2014) - (Institute of Medicine (IOM)) - 05-MAR-2015 The results of a 2014 workshop on the ability to generate usable evidence, increase the efficiency and decrease the costs of doing clinical research are discussed in this report.
- Comparative Effectiveness Research: HHS Needs to Strengthen Dissemination and Data-Capacity-Building Efforts - (Government Accountability Office (GAO) US) - 04-MAR-2015 GAO presents the results of their investigation into AHRQ's abilities to disseminate federally-funded comparative effectiveness research.
- How Will the Affordable Care Act Affect the Use of Health Care Services? - (Commonwealth Fund) - 03-MAR-2015 A new issue brief provides state estimates for the increased demand for physician and hospital services that is expected to result from the ACA.
- The Role and Potential of Communities in Population Health Improvement: Workshop Summary (2014) - (Institute of Medicine (IOM)) - 03-MAR-2015 The results of a workshop held in April 2014, to discuss the role that community groups can play in improving the health of the community.
- Congressional Testimony on SNAP Household Characteristics - (Mathematica Policy Research, Inc.) - 03-MAR-2015 Testimony from a MPR Institute expert on SNAP recipient characteristics and participation patterns.
- National Impact Assessment of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Quality Measures Reports Has Been Released - (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)) - 03-MAR-2015 The 2015 report examines 25 CMS programs and nearly 700 quality measures from 2006 to 2013.
- The Coverage Provisions in the Affordable Care Act: An Update - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 03-MAR-2015 This March, 2015 issue brief examines how various provisions of the Affordable Care Act have been implemented, and the impacts of this implementation.
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Receipt for Households: 2000-2013: American Community Survey Briefs (2015) - (U.S. Census Bureau) - 03-MAR-2015 This report presents data from 2000 to 2013 on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) receipts. Data is available on a national and state level.