MedlinePlus (http://medlineplus.gov) launched in October 1998.
Over the past 15 years, MedlinePlus has brought trusted health information to millions of people across the country and around the world. It now includes:
- Over 950 pages providing links to reliable consumer information on important health issues
- Information on prescription and over-the-counter medicines as well as herbs and supplements
- An illustrated medical encyclopedia with anatomy videos
- Interactive health tutorials – narrated programs that use animated graphics to explain conditions and procedures in easy-to-read language
- The latest health news
- A full-featured Spanish site
- A multiple language collection with links to health information in over 40 languages
- A medical dictionary
Over two million people turn to MedlinePlus every day to find accurate, up-to-date information. The site consistently ranks at or near the top of the American Customer Satisfaction Index for government news sites.
In 2010, MedlinePlus introduced the MedlinePlus Connect service that allows electronic health record systems to link from patient diagnoses, medications, and lab test results to MedlinePlus information. The service won the HHSinnovates Award in March 2011.
You can keep up to date with the latest health information from MedlinePlus on Twitter (@medlineplus) or by subscribing to news feeds via RSS or email. There are several general interest feeds, as well as feeds for every health topic page on the site.