What is it?
Noni is a small evergreen tree in the Pacific Islands, Southeast Asia, Australia, and India that often grows among lava flows. Historically, noni was used to make a red or yellow dye for clothing. It was also used as medicine, usually applied to the skin.
Today, noni fruit, leaves, flowers, stems, bark, and roots are still used to make medicine for a long list of ailments. However, the effectiveness of noni for these uses has not been proven. A study of noni freeze-dried fruit extract is underway at The National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, but the results are not yet in. In the meantime, the FDA has issued multiple warnings to noni manufacturers about health claims that aren’t backed up by fact.
People take noni by mouth for colic, convulsions, cough, diabetes, painful urination, stimulating menstrual flow, fever, liver disease, constipation, vaginal discharge during pregnancy, malarial fever, and nausea. It is also used for smallpox, enlarged spleen, swelling, asthma, arthritis and other bone and joint problems, cancer, cataracts, colds, depression, digestive problems, and gastric ulcers. Other uses include high blood pressure, infections, kidney disorders, migraine headache, premenstrual syndrome, stroke, pain, and sedation.
The fruit juice is used for arthritis, diabetes, high blood pressure, muscle aches and pains, menstrual difficulties, headaches, heart disease, AIDS, cancers, gastric ulcers, sprains, depression, senility, poor digestion, atherosclerosis, circulation problems, and drug addiction.
The leaves have been used in medicines for rheumatic aches and swelling of the joints, stomachache, dysentery, and swelling caused by a parasitic infection called filariasis. The bark has been used in a preparation to aid childbirth.
Noni is sometimes applied to the skin. It is used as a moisturizer and to reduce signs of aging. The leaves are used for arthritis by wrapping around the affected joint; for headache by applying to the forehead; and for burns, sores, and wounds by direct application. A mixture of leaves and fruit is applied to pockets of infection (abscesses), and preparations of the root are used on stonefish and sting-ray wounds, and as a smallpox salve.
In foods, the fruits, leaves, roots, seeds, and bark are eaten.
The smell and taste of some Noni fruit and juice are unpleasant.
How effective is it?
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate.
The effectiveness ratings for NONI are as follows:
Insufficient evidence to rate effectiveness for...
- Urinary problems.
- Menstrual problems.
- Liver problems.
- Vaginal discharge.
- Enlarged spleen.
- Kidney disorders.
- Bone and joint problems.
- Eye cataracts.
- Digestion problems.
- Stomach ulcers.
- Heart trouble.
- High blood pressure.
- Reducing signs of aging.
- Other conditions.
More evidence is needed to rate noni for these uses.
Noni contains many substances, including potassium. Some of these substances might help repair damaged cells in the body, activate the immune system, and have other activities.
Noni is POSSIBLY SAFE when taken in food amounts. But there is concern that taking noni in medicinal amounts is POSSIBLY UNSAFE. Noni tea or juice might cause liver damage in some people. There are several reports of liver damage in people who drank noni tea or juice for several weeks. But it is not known for certain if noni was the cause.
Special precautions & warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Don’t take noni if you are pregnant. Historically, noni has been used to cause abortions. It’s also best to avoid noni if you are breast-feeding. Not enough is known about the safety of taking noni during breast-feeding.
Kidney problems: Noni contains large amounts of potassium. This can be a problem, especially for people with kidney disease. There is one report of a person with kidney disease developing high levels of potassium in the blood after drinking noni juice. Don’t use noni if you have kidney problems.
Liver disease: Noni has been linked to several cases of liver damage. Avoid using noni if you have liver disease.
Be cautious with this combination.
Medications for high blood pressure (ACE inhibitors)
Some medications for high blood pressure can increase potassium levels in the blood. Consuming noni juice along with these medications for high blood pressure might cause too much potassium in the blood.
Some medications for high blood pressure include captopril (Capoten), enalapril (Vasotec), lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril), ramipril (Altace), and others.
Medications for high blood pressure (Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs))
Some medications for high blood pressure can increase potassium levels in the blood. Consuming noni juice along with these medications for high blood pressure might cause too much potassium to be in the blood.
Some medications for high blood pressure include losartan (Cozaar), valsartan (Diovan), irbesartan (Avapro), candesartan (Atacand), telmisartan (Micardis), eprosartan (Teveten), and others.
Medications that can harm the liver (Hepatotoxic drugs)
Noni might harm the liver. Taking noni along with medication that might also harm the liver can increase the risk of liver damage. Do not take noni if you are taking a medication that can harm the liver.
Some medications that can harm the liver include acetaminophen (Tylenol and others), amiodarone (Cordarone), carbamazepine (Tegretol), isoniazid (INH), methotrexate (Rheumatrex), methyldopa (Aldomet), fluconazole (Diflucan), itraconazole (Sporanox), erythromycin (Erythrocin, Ilosone, others), phenytoin (Dilantin), lovastatin (Mevacor), pravastatin (Pravachol), simvastatin (Zocor), and many others.
Warfarin (Coumadin) is used to slow blood clotting. Taking noni juice might decrease how well warfarin (Coumadin) works to slow blood clotting. This could increase the chance of blood clotting.
Water pills (Potassium-sparing diuretics)
Noni contains large amounts of potassium. Some "water pills" can also increase potassium levels in the body. Taking some "water pills" along with noni might cause too much potassium to be in the body.
Some "water pills" that increase potassium in the body include amiloride (Midamor), spironolactone (Aldactone), and triamterene (Dyrenium).
Herbs and supplements that can harm the liver (Hepatotoxic herbs)
There is concern that noni might cause liver damage in some people. Using noni with other herbs or supplements that might harm the liver could increase this risk. Some of these products include androstenedione, chaparral, comfrey, DHEA, fo-ti, germander, kava, niacin, pennyroyal oil, red yeast, and others.
There are no known interactions with foods.
The appropriate dose of noni depends on several factors such as the user's age, health, and several other conditions. At this time there is not enough scientific information to determine an appropriate range of doses for noni. Keep in mind that natural products are not always necessarily safe and dosages can be important. Be sure to follow relevant directions on product labels and consult your pharmacist or physician or other healthcare professional before using.
Ba Ji Tian, Bois Douleur, Canarywood, Cheese Fruit, Hai Ba Ji, Hawaiian Noni, Hog Apple, Indian Mulberry, Jus de Noni, Luoling, Mengkudu, Menkoedoe, Mora de la India, Morinda, Morinda citrifolia, Mulberry, Mûre Indienne, Nhau, Noni Juice, Nono, Nonu, Pau-Azeitona, Rotten Cheese Fruit, Ruibarbo Caribe, Tahitian Noni Juice, Ura, Wild Pine, Wu Ning, Yor.
To learn more about how this article was written, please see the Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database methodology.methodology (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/methodology.html).
To see all references for the Noni page, please go to http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/758.html.
- Palu, KA West BJ Jensen J Zhou BN. Morinda citrifolia L. Noni has Cholesterol Lowering Potential. Folk Botanical Wisdom: Towards Global Markets. Chiang Mai, Thailand 2006;
- Swanholm, C. E., St John, H., and Scheuer, P. l. A survey of alkaloids in Hawaiian plants. Pac Sci 1959;13:295-305.
- Scholz, E. Noni / Eine hochseetüchtige Heil- und Färbepflanze. Naturw Rdsch 1995;48:419-421.
- Stone, B. C. Morinda Linnaeus. Micronesia 1970;6:551-552.
- Stevenson, L. and Banbury, L. Noni juice and cholesterol synthesis inhibition. 2004;
- Lako J, Sotheeswaran S. Antioxidant compositions of selected fruits, vegetables and beverages in Fiji. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2006;15:91.
- Vimala S, Mohd S Adenan I. Malaysian Tropical Forest Medicinal Plants: A Source of Natural Antioxidants. Journal of Tropical Forest Products 1999;5:32-38.
- Banbury, L. and Brushett, D. Report on Investigation of Noni Juice. Unpublished manuscript 2004;
- Hokama, Y. The effect of Noni fruit extract (Morinda citrifolia, Indian mulberry) on thymocytes of BALB/c mouse. FASEB J 1993;7:A866.
- Lau FC, Shukitt-Hale B Joseph JA. Mini Review: Beneficial effects of berry fruit polyphenols on neuronal and behavioral aging. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 2006;86:2251-2255.
Issell, B. F., Gotay, C., Pagano, I., and Franke, A. Quality of life measures in a phase I trial of noni. 2005;
- Punjanon, T. and Nandhasri, P. Analgesic effect of the alcoholic extract from the fruits of Morinda citrifolia. 2005;4:678.
- No author. Morinda citrifolia L. noni has cholesterol lowering potential. The 47th Annual Meeting of Society for Economic Botany. 2006;
- West BJ, Deng S Jensen CJ. Nutrient and phytochemical analyses of processed noni puree. Food Research International 2011;44:2295-2301.
- West BJ, Deng S. Thin Layer Chromatography Methods for Rapid Identity Testing of Morinda citrifolia L. (Noni) Fruit and Leaf. Advance Journal of Food Science and Technology 2010;2:298-302.
- El-Naggar, L. J. and Beal, J. L. Iridoids. A Review. J Nat Prod 1980;43:649-707.
- Simonsen, J. L. Note on the constituents of Morinda citrifolia. J Chem Soc 1920;117:561-564.
- Singh, J. and Tiwari, R. D. Flavone glycosides from the flowers of Morinda citrifolia. J Indian Chem Soc 1976;53:424.
- Legal, L., David, J. R., and Jallon, J. M. Molecular basis of
- Balakrishna, S., Seshadri, TR., and Venkataramani, B. Special chemical component of commercial woods and related plant materials: Part X-Heartwood of
- Daulatabad, C. D., Mulla, G. M., and Mirajikar, A. M. Riconoleic acid in
- Peerzada, N., Renaud, S., and Ryan, P. Vitamin C and elemental composition of some bushfruits. J Plant Nutrition 1990;13:787-793.
- Farine, J. P., Legal, L., Moreteau, B., and Le Quere, J. L. Volatile components of ripe fruits of
- Palu AK, Santiago RA West B Kaluhiokalani N Jensen J. The Effects of Morillda citrifolia L. Noni on High Blood Pressure: A Mechanistic Investigation and Case Study. ACS SYMPOSIUM SERIES 993 2008;
- Palu AK, Seifulla RD West BJ. Morinda citrifolia L. (noni) improves athlete endurance: Its mechanisms of action. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research 2008;2:154-158.
- Seyfulla RD. REPORT on clinical test of influence of juice "Tahitian Noni" on exercise performance of highly qualified athletes training for development of endurance (middle- and long-distance runners), degree of free radical reoxidation of eicosanoid acids lipids in a stand experiment. Not Available 2007;
- Wang, M. Y., Nowicki, D., Anderson, G., Su, C., and Jensen, J. Protective effects of
- Buranakarl CS, Kalandakanond-Thongsong SP. The effects of Morinda citrifolia L. (noni) on oxidative stress and renal catecholamine content in doxorubicin induced nephrosis in rats. Proc.Ann.Con Vet.Sci. 2006;
- Yang, J., Paulino, R. J., and Janke-Stedronsky, S. Total antioxidant capacity of Noni Products as Affected by Processing and Storage. 2004;
- Yang J, Gadi R Thomason T. Antioxidant Capacity of Noni (Morinda citrifolia, L.) Fruits and Leaves at Various Stages of Maturity. University of Guam, UOG Station, Mangilao, Guam 2007;
- Wang, M. Y., Su, C., Nowicki, D., Jensen, J., and Anderson, G. Protective effect of
- Zin AM, Haid AA Osman A Saari N Misran A. Isolation and Identificiation of antioxidative compounds from fruit of Mengkudu (Morinda citrifolia L.). International Journal of Food Properties. 2007;10:363-373.
- Heinicke, R. The Xeronine system: a new cellular mechanism that explains the health promoting action of NONI and Bromelain. 2001;
- Heinicke, R. The pharmacologically active ingredient of Noni. 1985;
- Locher, C. P., Wtivrouw, M., Bethunne de, M. P., Burch, M. T., Mover, H. F., Davis, H., Lasure, A., Pauwels, R., Clercq de, E., and Vlietnick, A. J. Antiviral activity of Haiwaiian medicinal plants against human immunodeficiency Virus Type-1 (HIV-1). Phytomedicine 1996;2:259-264.
- Umezawa, K. Isolation of 1-methoxy-2-foremyl-3-hydroxyanthraquinone from M. citrifolia and neoplasminhibitors containing the same. Japan Kokai Tokyo Koho JP 06 87,736 (94-87,736) 1992;Appl:92-264-311 07.
- Wang, M. Y., Nowicki, D., and Anderson, G. Protective effect of
- Wang, M. Y., Anderson, G., and Nowicki, D. Preventive effect of
- Asahina, A. Y., Ebesu, J. S. M., Ichinotsubo, D., Tongson, J., and Hokama, Y. Effect of okadaic acid (OA) and Noni fruit extraction in the synthesis of tumour necrosis factor-a (TNF-a) by peripheral blood mononuclear (PBN) cells
- Wang MY, Henley E Nolting J. The Effects of Morinda citrifolia (Noni) Fruit Juice on Serum Cholesterol and Triglyceride in Current Smokers. Poster Presentations 2006;E327:78.
- Wang, Mian-Ying Diane Nowicki Gary Anderson Alexandra Cheerva Jarakae Jensen. The heart protetion study: Improvement of lipoprotein profiles in current smokers receiving Morinda citrifolia (noni) fruit juice. Circulation. 2004;109:29.
- Wang MY, Anderson G Nowicki D Jensen J. Cardiovascular disease prevention with Morinda citrifolia (noni) by improving lipoprotein profiles in a chronic liver injury model induced by carbon tetrachloride in female SD rats. Circulation. 2005;111(E78):40-88.
- Wang, M. Y., Su, C., Nowicki, D., Jensen, J., and Anderson, G.
- Su, C., Wang, M. Y., Nowicki, D., Jensen, J., and Anderson, G. Selective COX-2 inhibition of
- Glang J. Untersuchungen zum Einfluss von Morinda citrifolia L. Fruchtsaft auf den Infektions - und Entzündungsstatus einer Gingivitis/Parodontitis. Dissertation 2009;
- Leach, A. J., Leach, D. N., and Leach, G. J. Antibacterial activity of some medicinal plants of Papua New Guinea. Sci New Guinea 1988;14:1-7.
- Duncan, S. H., Flint, H. J., and Stewart, C. S. Inhibitory activity of gut bacteria against Escherichia coli 0157 mediated by dietary plant metabolites. FEMS Microbiol Lett 1998;164:283-285.
- Bushnell, O. A., Fukuda, M., and Makinodian, T. The antibacterial properties of some plants found in Hawaii. Pac Sci 1950;4:167-183.
- Wang MY, Lutfiyya N Weidenbacher-Hoper V Peng L Lipsky MS Anderson G. Functional Foods in Health and Disease. Not Available 2011;2:75-90.
- SUkandar'I EY, Qowiyah A Pumamasari DRR Farmasi S Bandung JT. Teratogenicity study of combination of ginger rhizome extract and noni fruit extract in Wistar rat. Mojalah Farmasi Indonesia 2009;20:48-54.
- Udiyanti. A study of the teratogenic effects infusa noni fruit (Morinda citrifolia, L) to pregnant mice. Not Available 1995;
- Mancebo, A., Scull, I., Gonzalez, Y., Arteaga, M. E., Gonzales, B. O., Fuentes, D., Hernandez, O., and Correa, M. Ensayo de toxicidad a dosis repetidas (28 días) por vía oral del extracto acuoso de
- Product Safety Labs. Acute oral toxicity study in rats - limit test: Tahitian Noni puree. 1999;
- Product Safety Labs. Acute oral toxicity study in rats - limit test: Tahitian Noni concentrate. 1999;
- Product Safety Labs. Acute oral toxicity study in rats - limit test: Tahitian Noni juice. 1999;
- Glerup, P. Tahitian Noni juice: A 13-week oral (gavage) toxicity study in rats. 2001;
- Anon. Acute oral toxicity study in rats-limit test: Tahitian Noni® Juice. 1999;
- Akinbo R, Noronha CC Okanlawon AO Danesi MA. Comparative study of the effect of Morinda citrifo/ia (Noni) with Selected Physiotherapy Modalities in the Management of Patients with Cervical Spondylosis. Nigerian Journal of Health and Biomedical Sciences. 2006;5:6-11.
- Ma DL, Su CX Gao J Liu T West BJ. Evaluation of the ergogenic potential of noni juice. Phytother Res. 2008;
- No author. Safety of leaves from Morinda citrifolia L. The EFSA Journal 2008;769:1-17.
- Tuyen DT, Thuy TB Dao NTN. The effect of Morinda citrifolia fruit extract of Viet Nam on rat hepatic enzyme metabolism. TCDuoc lieu 2005;15
- Palu AK. TAHITIAN NONI® Juice: Its Antioxidant Capacity Is Only A Part of the Repertoires of Its Scientifically Proven Health Benefits What the Antioxidant Methods Actually Measure. Tahitian Noni International Research Center American Fork, Utah 2004;
- Moorthy, N. K. and Reddy, G. S. Preliminary phytochemical and pharmacological study of
- Noor MM, Chuay SH. Effects of Noni Fruit Extract Grant (Morinda citrifolia Linn.) on Sperm Quality and Mouse Testes histology (Effect of Noni (Morinda citrifolia Linn.) Extract on Sperm Quality and Histology of Testes in Mice). Malaysiana Science 2004;33
- Palu A. The inhibitory effects of Morinda citrifolia L. noni on phosphodiesterase enzymes: The possible mechanisms for increasing energy and improving diabetic conditions. IVth International Conference on Aromatic and Medicinal Plants from French Overseas Regions. 2006;
- Harada S, Hamabe W Kamiya K Satake T Tokuyaa S. The preventive effect of the juice of Molinda citrifolia against the ischemic brain injury. Journal of Pharmacological Sciences 2007;103:228.
- Xu J, Cai J Godbee RG Peek SF Darien BJ. TAHITIAN NONI™ Equine Essentials™ Regulates LPS-Induced COX-2 and Cytokine Expression in Equine Neonatal Monocytes: A Preliminary Study. University of Wisconsin, School of Veterinary Medicine 2006;
- Su CX, Jensen CJ Wang M Fritz JW Jensen S. Eicosanoids and other bioactive lipids in cancer, inflammation and related diseases. 7th International Conference Final Program & Abstract Book. 2001;
- Prior RL, Gu L Wu X Jacob RA Sotoudeh G Kader AA Cook RA. Plasma antioxidant capacity changes following a meal as a measure of the ability of a food to alter in vivo antioxidant status. J.Am.Coll.Nutr. 2007;26:170-181.
- Rivas MR, Cárdenas MB Monteagudo GL Freire PS Guerr LL Machado BV Costa LD. Pre-clinical Evaluation of the Anti-inflammatory Effect of the Juice of Morinda citrifolia L. Rev.Cubana Plant Med. 2005;10:3-4.
- Ho CT, Yu H Huang MT. Anti-inflammatory Activity of Bioactives in Noni. 'Department of Food Science, Rutgers University 2004;
- No author. Opinion on a request from the Commission related to the safety of noni juice (juice of the fruits of Morinda citrifolia). The EFSA Journal 2006;376:1-12.
- No author. Opinion on the safety of Tahitian Noni® 'Morinda citrifolia (noni) fruit puree and concentrate' as a novel food ingredient. The EFSA Journal 2009;998:1-16.
- Hirazumi, A., Furusawa, E., Chou, S. C., and Hokama, Y. Immunomodulation contributes to the anticancer activity of morinda citrifolia (noni) fruit juice. Proc West Pharmacol.Soc. 1996;39:7-9. View abstract.
- Locher, C. P., Burch, M. T., Mower, H. F., Berestecky, J., Davis, H., Van Poel, B., Lasure, A., Vanden Berghe, D. A., and Vlietinck, A. J. Anti-microbial activity and anti-complement activity of extracts obtained from selected Hawaiian medicinal plants. J Ethnopharmacol 11-17-1995;49:23-32. View abstract.
- Hirazumi, A., Furusawa, E., Chou, S. C., and Hokama, Y. Anticancer activity of Morinda citrifolia (noni) on intraperitoneally implanted Lewis lung carcinoma in syngeneic mice. Proc West Pharmacol.Soc. 1994;37:145-146. View abstract.
- Singh, Y. N., Ikahihifo, T., Panuve, M., and Slatter, C. Folk medicine in Tonga. A study of the use of herbal medicines for obstetric and gynaecological conditions and disorders. J Ethnopharmacol 1984;12:305-329. View abstract.
- Matsui, A. S., Rogers, J., Woo, Y. K., and Cutting, W. C. Effects of some natural products on fertility in mice. Med.Pharmacol.Exp.Int.J.Exp.Med. 1967;16:414-424. View abstract.
- Tabrah, F. L. and Eveleth, B. M. Evaluation of the effectiveness of ancient Hawaiian medicine. Hawaii Med J 1966;25:223-230. View abstract.
- Levand, O. and Larson, H. O. Some chemical constituents of Morinda citrifolia. Planta Med 1979;36:186-187. View abstract.
- Sattar, F. A., Ahmed, F., Ahmed, N., Sattar, S. A., Malghani, M. A., and Choudhary, M. I. A double-blind, randomized, clinical trial on the antileishmanial activity of a Morinda citrifolia (Noni) stem extract and its major constituents. Nat.Prod.Commun. 2012;7:195-196. View abstract.
- Issell, B. F., Gotay, C. C., Pagano, I., and Franke, A. A. Using quality of life measures in a Phase I clinical trial of noni in patients with advanced cancer to select a Phase II dose. J.Diet.Suppl 2009;6:347-359. View abstract.
- Brown, A. C. Anticancer activity of Morinda citrifolia (Noni) fruit: a review. Phytother.Res. 2012;26:1427-1440. View abstract.
- Beh, H. K., Seow, L. J., Asmawi, M. Z., Abdul Majid, A. M., Murugaiyah, V., Ismail, N., and Ismail, Z. Anti-angiogenic activity of Morinda citrifolia extracts and its chemical constituents. Nat.Prod.Res. 2012;26:1492-1497. View abstract.
- Olaku, O. and White, J. D. Herbal therapy use by cancer patients: a literature review on case reports. Eur.J.Cancer 2011;47:508-514. View abstract.
- Mohamed, M. E. and Frye, R. F. Effects of herbal supplements on drug glucuronidation. Review of clinical, animal, and in vitro studies. Planta Med. 2011;77:311-321. View abstract.
- Dussossoy, E., Brat, P., Bony, E., Boudard, F., Poucheret, P., Mertz, C., Giaimis, J., and Michel, A. Characterization, anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory effects of Costa Rican noni juice (Morinda citrifolia L.). J.Ethnopharmacol. 1-7-2011;133:108-115. View abstract.
- Deng, S., West, B. J., Palu, ' K., and Jensen, C. J. Determination and comparative analysis of major iridoids in different parts and cultivation sources of Morinda citrifolia. Phytochem.Anal. 2011;22:26-30. View abstract.
- Kandaswamy, D., Venkateshbabu, N., Gogulnath, D., and Kindo, A. J. Dentinal tubule disinfection with 2% chlorhexidine gel, propolis, morinda citrifolia juice, 2% povidone iodine, and calcium hydroxide. Int.Endod.J. 2010;43:419-423. View abstract.
- Harada, S., Fujita-Hamabe, W., Kamiya, K., Satake, T., and Tokuyama, S. [Involvement of glycemic control in the inhibiting effect of Morinda citrifolia on cerebral ischemia-induced neuronal damage]. Yakugaku Zasshi 2010;130:707-712. View abstract.
- West, B. J., White, L. D., Jensen, C. J., and Palu, A. K. A double-blind clinical safety study of noni fruit juice. Pac.Health Dialog. 2009;15:21-32. View abstract.
- Akihisa, T., Seino, K., Kaneko, E., Watanabe, K., Tochizawa, S., Fukatsu, M., Banno, N., Metori, K., and Kimura, Y. Melanogenesis inhibitory activities of iridoid-, hemiterpene-, and fatty acid-glycosides from the fruits of Morinda citrifolia (Noni). J.Oleo.Sci. 2010;59:49-57. View abstract.
- Wang, M. Y., Peng, L., Lutfiyya, M. N., Henley, E., Weidenbacher-Hoper, V., and Anderson, G. Morinda citrifolia (noni) reduces cancer risk in current smokers by decreasing aromatic DNA adducts. Nutr.Cancer 2009;61:634-639. View abstract.
- Wang, M. Y., Lutfiyya, M. N., Weidenbacher-Hoper, V., Anderson, G., Su, C. X., and West, B. J. Antioxidant activity of noni juice in heavy smokers. Chem.Cent.J. 2009;3:13. View abstract.
- Basar, S., Uhlenhut, K., Hogger, P., Schone, F., and Westendorf, J. Analgesic and antiinflammatory activity of Morinda citrifolia L. (Noni) fruit. Phytother.Res. 2010;24:38-42. View abstract.
- Harada, S., Hamabe, W., Kamiya, K., Satake, T., Yamamoto, J., and Tokuyama, S. Preventive effect of Morinda citrifolia fruit juice on neuronal damage induced by focal ischemia. Biol.Pharm.Bull. 2009;32:405-409. View abstract.
- Harada, S., Hamabe, W., Kamiya, K., Satake, T., and Tokuyama, S. [Protective effect of Morinda citrifolia on the ischemic neuronal damage]. Yakugaku Zasshi 2009;129:203-207. View abstract.
- Ring, K. C., Murray, P. E., Namerow, K. N., Kuttler, S., and Garcia-Godoy, F. The comparison of the effect of endodontic irrigation on cell adherence to root canal dentin. J.Endod. 2008;34:1474-1479. View abstract.
- Murray, P. E., Farber, R. M., Namerow, K. N., Kuttler, S., and Garcia-Godoy, F. Evaluation of Morinda citrifolia as an endodontic irrigant. J.Endod. 2008;34:66-70. View abstract.
- Pawlus, A. D. and Kinghorn, D. A. Review of the ethnobotany, chemistry, biological activity and safety of the botanical dietary supplement Morinda citrifolia (noni). J.Pharm.Pharmacol. 2007;59:1587-1609. View abstract.
- Akihisa, T., Matsumoto, K., Tokuda, H., Yasukawa, K., Seino, K., Nakamoto, K., Kuninaga, H., Suzuki, T., and Kimura, Y. Anti-inflammatory and potential cancer chemopreventive constituents of the fruits of Morinda citrifolia (Noni). J.Nat.Prod. 2007;70:754-757. View abstract.
- Deng, S., Palu, ' K., West, B. J., Su, C. X., Zhou, B. N., and Jensen, J. C. Lipoxygenase inhibitory constituents of the fruits of noni (Morinda citrifolia) collected in Tahiti. J.Nat.Prod. 2007;70:859-862. View abstract.
- Basu, S. and Hazra, B. Evaluation of nitric oxide scavenging activity, In Vitro and Ex Vivo, of selected medicinal plants traditionally used in inflammatory diseases. Phytother Res 2006;20:896-900. View abstract.
- Arpornsuwan, T. and Punjanon, T. Tumor cell-selective antiproliferative effect of the extract from Morinda citrifolia fruits. Phytother Res 2006;20:515-517. View abstract.
- Kamiya, K., Tanaka, Y., Endang, H., Umar, M., and Satake, T. New anthraquinone and iridoid from the fruits of Morinda citrifolia. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 2005;53:1597-1599. View abstract.
- Burrowes, J. D. and Van Houten, G. Use of alternative medicine by patients with stage 5 chronic kidney disease. Adv.Chronic.Kidney Dis. 2005;12:312-325. View abstract.
- Su, B. N., Pawlus, A. D., Jung, H. A., Keller, W. J., McLaughlin, J. L., and Kinghorn, A. D. Chemical constituents of the fruits of Morinda citrifolia (Noni) and their antioxidant activity. J Nat Prod 2005;68:592-595. View abstract.
- Pu, H. F., Huang, W. J., Tseng, W. M., Wang, S. W., Liu, Y. W., Doong, M. L., and Wang, P. S. Effects of juice from Morinda citrifolia (Noni) on gastric emptying in male rats. Chin J Physiol 12-31-2004;47:169-174. View abstract.
- Langford, J., Doughty, A., Wang, M., Clayton, L., and Babich, M. Effects of Morinda citrifolia on quality of life and auditory function in postmenopausal women. J Altern.Complement Med 2004;10:737-739. View abstract.
- Shotipruk, A., Kiatsongserm, J., Pavasant, P., Goto, M., and Sasaki, M. Pressurized hot water extraction of anthraquinones from the roots of Morinda citrifolia. Biotechnol.Prog. 2004;20:1872-1875. View abstract.
- Kamiya, K., Tanaka, Y., Endang, H., Umar, M., and Satake, T. Chemical constituents of Morinda citrifolia fruits inhibit copper-induced low-density lipoprotein oxidation. J Agric.Food Chem. 9-22-2004;52:5843-5848. View abstract.
- Wong, D. K. Are immune responses pivotal to cancer patient's long term survival? Two clinical case-study reports on the effects of Morinda citrifolia (Noni). Hawaii Med J 2004;63:182-184. View abstract.
- Furusawa, E., Hirazumi, A., Story, S., and Jensen, J. Antitumour potential of a polysaccharide-rich substance from the fruit juice of Morinda citrifolia (Noni) on sarcoma 180 ascites tumour in mice. Phytother Res 2003;17:1158-1164. View abstract.
- Siddiqui, B. S., Ismail, F. A., Gulzar, T., and Begum, S. Isolation and structure determination of a benzofuran and a bis-nor-isoprenoid from Aspergillus niger grown on the water soluble fraction of Morinda citrifolia Linn. leaves. Nat Prod Res 2003;17:355-360. View abstract.
- YOUNGKEN, H. W., Sr., JENKINS, H. J., and BUTLER, C. L. Studies on Morinda citrifolia L. II. J Am.Pharm Assoc.Am.Pharm Assoc. 1960;49:271-273. View abstract.
- LA BARRE, J., HANS, M., and HANS, M. J. [Apropos of the hypotensive, diuretic and tranquilizing properties of purified extracts of Morinda.]. Bull Acad R.Med Belg. 1961;1:567-581. View abstract.
- YOUNGKEN, H. W., Sr. A study of the root of Morinda citrifolia Linne. I. J Am.Pharm Assoc.Am.Pharm Assoc.(Baltim.) 1958;47(3, Part 1):162-165. View abstract.
- ATKINSON, N. Antibacterial substances from flowering plants. 3. Antibacterial activity of dried Australian plants by a rapid direct plate test. Aust.J Exp Biol Med Sci 1956;34:17-26. View abstract.
- DANG, VAN HO. [Treatment and prevention of hypertension and its cerebral complications by total root extracts of Morinda citrifolia.]. Presse Med 11-2-1955;63:1478. View abstract.
- DANG, VAN HO. [A basic treatment for arterial hypertension with extracts of the roots of Morinda citrifilia (Cay-Nhau).]. Presse Med 7-3-1954;62:1020-1021. View abstract.
- Sang, S., Liu, G., He, K., Zhu, N., Dong, Z., Zheng, Q., Rosen, R. T., and Ho, C. T. New unusual iridoids from the leaves of noni (Morinda citrifolia L.) show inhibitory effect on ultraviolet B-induced transcriptional activator protein-1 (AP-1) activity. Bioorg.Med Chem. 6-12-2003;11:2499-2502. View abstract.
- Ancolio, C., Azas, N., Mahiou, V., Ollivier, E., Di Giorgio, C., Keita, A., Timon-David, P., and Balansard, G. Antimalarial activity of extracts and alkaloids isolated from six plants used in traditional medicine in Mali and Sao Tome. Phytother Res 2002;16:646-649. View abstract.
- Jones, C. D. The genetic basis of larval resistance to a host plant toxin in Drosophila sechellia. Genet.Res 2001;78:225-233. View abstract.
- Wang, M. Y. and Su, C. Cancer preventive effect of Morinda citrifolia (Noni). Ann N.Y Acad.Sci 2001;952:161-168. View abstract.
- Sang, S., Cheng, X., Zhu, N., Stark, R. E., Badmaev, V., Ghai, G., Rosen, R. T., and Ho, C. T. Flavonol glycosides and novel iridoid glycoside from the leaves of Morinda citrifolia. J Agric.Food Chem. 2001;49:4478-4481. View abstract.
- Liu, G., Bode, A., Ma, W. Y., Sang, S., Ho, C. T., and Dong, Z. Two novel glycosides from the fruits of Morinda citrifolia (noni) inhibit AP-1 transactivation and cell transformation in the mouse epidermal JB6 cell line. Cancer Res 8-1-2001;61:5749-5756. View abstract.
- Sang, S., Cheng, X., Zhu, N., Wang, M., Jhoo, J. W., Stark, R. E., Badmaev, V., Ghai, G., Rosen, R. T., and Ho, C. T. Iridoid glycosides from the leaves of Morinda citrifolia. J Nat Prod 2001;64:799-800. View abstract.
- Sang, S., He, K., Liu, G., Zhu, N., Cheng, X., Wang, M., Zheng, Q., Dong, Z., Ghai, G., Rosen, R. T., and Ho, C. T. A new unusual iridoid with inhibition of activator protein-1 (AP-1) from the leaves of Morinda citrifolia L. Org.Lett 5-3-2001;3:1307-1309. View abstract.
- Wang, M., Kikuzaki, H., Jin, Y., Nakatani, N., Zhu, N., Csiszar, K., Boyd, C., Rosen, R. T., Ghai, G., and Ho, C. T. Novel glycosides from noni (Morinda citrifolia). J Nat Prod 2000;63:1182-1183. View abstract.
- Wang, M., Kikuzaki, H., Csiszar, K., Boyd, C. D., Maunakea, A., Fong, S. F., Ghai, G., Rosen, R. T., Nakatani, N., and Ho, C. T. Novel trisaccharide fatty acid ester identified from the fruits of Morinda citrifolia (Noni). J Agric.Food Chem. 1999;47:4880-4882. View abstract.
- Salleh, M. N., Runnie, I., Roach, P. D., Mohamed, S., and Abeywardena, M. Y. Inhibition of low-density lipoprotein oxidation and up-regulation of low-density lipoprotein receptor in HepG2 cells by tropical plant extracts. J Agric.Food Chem. 6-19-2002;50:3693-3697. View abstract.
- Saludes, J. P., Garson, M. J., Franzblau, S. G., and Aguinaldo, A. M. Antitubercular constituents from the hexane fraction of Morinda citrifolia Linn. (Rubiaceae). Phytother Res 2002;16:683-685. View abstract.
- Kinghorn, A. D., Chai, H. B., Sung, C. K., and Keller, W. J. The classical drug discovery approach to defining bioactive constituents of botanicals. Fitoterapia 2011;82:71-79. View abstract.
- Stoner, G. D., Wang, L. S., Seguin, C., Rocha, C., Stoner, K., Chiu, S., and Kinghorn, A. D. Multiple berry types prevent N-nitrosomethylbenzylamine-induced esophageal cancer in rats. Pharm.Res 2010;27:1138-1145. View abstract.
- Samoylenko V, Zhao J, Dunbar DC, et al. New constituents from noni (Morinda citrifolia) fruit juice. J Agric Food Chem 2006;54:6398-402. View abstract.
- Potterat O, Felten R, Dalsgaard PW, Hamburger M. Identification of TLC markers and quantification by HPLC-MS of various constituents in noni fruit powder and commercial noni-derived products. J Agric Food Chem 2007;55:7489-94. View abstract.
- Mahattanadul S, Ridtitid W, Nima S, et al. Effects of Morinda citrifolia aqueous fruit extract and its biomarker scopoletin on reflux esophagitis and gastric ulcer in rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2011;134:243-50. View abstract.
- López-Cepero Andrada JM, Lerma Castilla S, Fernández Olvera MD, Amaya Vidal A. [Hepatotoxicity caused by a noni (Morinda citrifolia) preparation]. [Article in Spanish] Rev Esp Enferm Dig 2007;99:179-81. View abstract.
- Stadlbauer V, Weiss S, Payer F, Stauber RE. Herbal does not at all mean innocuous: the sixth case of hepatotoxicity associated with morinda citrifolia (noni). Am J Gastroenterol 2008;103:2406-7. View abstract.
- Yu EL, Sivagnanam M, Ellis L, Huang JS. Acute hepatotoxicity after ingestion of Morinda citrifolia (noni berry) juice in a 14-year-old boy. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2011;52:222-4. View abstract.
- Prapaitrakool S, Itharat A. Morinda citrifolia Linn. for prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting. J Med Assoc Thai 2010;(93 Suppl 7):S204-9. View abstract.
- Koch E, Biber A. Treatment of rats with the Pelargonium sidoides extract EPs 7630 has no effect on blood coagulation parameters or on the pharmacokinetics of warfarin. Phytomedicine 2007;14 Suppl 6:40-5. View abstract.
- Yuce B, Gulberg V, Diebold J, Gerbes AL. Hepatitis induced by noni juice from morinda citrifolia: a rare cause of hepatotoxicity or the tip of the iceberg? Digestion 2006;73:167-70. View abstract.
- Pawlus AD, Su BN, Keller WJ, Kinghorn AD. An anthraquinone with potent quinone reductase-inducing activity and other constituents of the fruits of Morinda citrifolia (noni). J Nat Prod 2005;68:1720-2. View abstract.
- Jensen CJ, Westendorf J, Wang MY, Wadsworth DP. Noni juice protects the liver. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2006;18:575-7. View abstract.
- Carr ME, Klotz J, Bergeron M. Coumadin resistance and the vitamin supplement "Noni". Am J Hematol 2004;77:103. View abstract.
- Stadlbauer V, Fickert P, Lackner C, et al. Hepatotoxicity of NONI juice: report of two cases. World J Gastroenterol 2005;11:4758-60. View abstract.
- McKoy ML, Thomas EA, Simon OR. Preliminary investigation of the anti-inflammatory properties of an aqueous extract from Morinda citrifolia (noni). Proc West Pharmacol Soc 2002;45:76-8. View abstract.
- Millonig G, Stadlmann S, Vogel W. Herbal hepatotoxicity: acute hepatitis caused by a Noni preparation (Morinda citrifolia). Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2005;17:445-7. View abstract.
- Li RW, Myers SP, Leach DN, et al. A cross-cultural study: anti-inflammatory activity of Australian and Chinese plants. J Ethnopharmacol 2003;85:25-32. View abstract.
- Clinicaltrials.gov. Phase I Study of Noni in Cancer Patients. http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00033878?order=1 (Accessed 17 September 2004).
- Zhang ZQ, Yuan L, Yang M, et al. The effect of Morinda officinalis How, a Chinese traditional medicinal plant, on the DRL 72-s schedule in rats and the forced swimming test in mice. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 2002;72:39-43. View abstract.
- Hornick CA, Myers A, Sadowska-Krowicka H, et al. Inhibition of angiogenic initiation and disruption of newly established human vascular networks by juice from Morinda citrifolia (noni). Angiogenesis 2003;6:143-9. View abstract.
- McClatchey W. From Polynesian healers to health food stores: changing perspectives of Morinda citrifolia (Rubiaceae). Integr Cancer Ther 2002;1:110-20. View abstract.
- Wang MY, West BJ, Jensen CJ, et al. Morinda citrifolia (Noni): a literature review and recent advances in Noni research. Acta Pharmacol Sin 2002;23:1127-41. View abstract.
- Raj RK. Screening of indigenous plants for anthelmintic action against human Ascaris lumbricoides:Part II. Ind J Physiol Pharmacol 1975;19;47-9. View abstract.
- Mueller BA, Scott MK, Sowinski KM, Prag KA. Noni juice (Morinda citrifolia): hidden potential for hyperkalemia? Am J Kidney Dis 2000;35:310-2. View abstract.
- Younos C, Rolland A, Fleurentin J, et al. Analgesic and behavioural effects of Morinda citrifolia. Planta Med 1990;56:430-4. View abstract.
- Hiramatsu T, Imoto M, Koyano T, Umezawa K. Induction of normal phenotypes in ras-transformed cells by damnacanthal from Morinda citrifolia. Cancer Lett 1993;73:161-6. View abstract.
- Hiwasa T, Arase Y, Chen Z, et al. Stimulation of ultraviolet-induced apoptosis of human fibroblast UVr-1 cells by tyrosine kinase inhibitors. FEBS Lett 1999;444:173-6. View abstract.
- Hirazumi A, Furusawa E. An immunomodulatory polysaccharide-rich substance from the fruit juice of Morinda citrifolia (noni) with antitumour activity. Phytother Res 1999;13:380-7. View abstract.
- Young DS. Effects of Drugs on Clinical Laboratory Tests 4th ed. Washington: AACC Press, 1995.
- Show more references
- Show fewer references
Last reviewed - 12/27/2011
This copyrighted, evidence-based medicine resource is provided by Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database Consumer Version. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database disclaims any responsibility related to consequences of using any product. This monograph should not replace advice from a healthcare professional and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
Copyright © 1995 - 2014 Therapeutic Research Faculty
, publishers of Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database
, Prescriber’s Letter
, Pharmacist’s Letter
. All rights reserved. For scientific data on natural medicines, professionals may consult the Professional Version of Natural Medicines Comprehensive DatabaseNatural Medicines Comprehensive Database (http://www.naturaldatabase.com/)