- Yoga originated in:
- Research has shown that acupuncture may provide pain relief for people with:
- Broken bones
- Digestion problems
- Research indicates that spinal manipulation can provide mild-to-moderate relief for low back pain.
- Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) includes:
- Use of natural products, such as herbs
- All of the above
- According to the 2007 National Health Interview Survey, meditation is the CAM therapy most commonly used by U.S. adults.
- NCCAM's Time to Talk campaign encourages:
- Discussion between patients and health care providers about the use of complementary and alternative medicine.
- Use of key words to express your emotions and relieve stress
- Trying a new technique that increases verbal skills in children
- Spending quality time with your family and friends
Answer key: 1-C; 2-D; 3-True; 4-D; 5-False: Natural products are the most commonly used CAM therapy by U.S. adults at 17.7%; 6-A
CAM Resources from NIH
National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine
www.nccam.nih.gov or 1-888-644-6226
Research-based information on CAM treatments.
NIH Office of Dietary Supplements
Health information on dietary supplements, including vitamins and minerals.
National Cancer Institute Office of Cancer Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Information on CAM specifically for cancer patients.
Find a list of herbs and supplements
Information on CAM
Herbs at a Glance: a Quick Guide to Herbal Supplements is an easy-to-read booklet with profiles on more than 40 herbs—basic scientific information, some potential side effects, and additional sources of information. For more about herbs or to order Herbs at a Glance, go to www.nccam.nih.gov/health/
herbsataglance.htm or call NCCAM's Clearinghouse at 1-888-644-6226.