NLM Reading Rooms and Services - Conduct Policies
The National Library of Medicine (NLM) is a research library. Please help us maintain a quiet atmosphere.
We ask all Reading Room users to:
- Answer and use cell phones outside the Reading Room area;
- Use portable electronic devices at volumes that can’t be heard by others;
- Use computer terminals to access scientific and biomedical materials only and not for recreational purposes;
- Eat or drink outside the Reading Room in designated Library areas;
- Use AV equipment to view NLM materials only;
- Handle NLM materials carefully. Help preserve our collection by gently photocopying library materials, using only NLM-provided equipment for document reproduction, and not using sticky flags or notes to mark pages;
- Limit photocopier use to posted time limits when others need to use them;
- Leave doorways, aisles, and spaces between tables or carrels free;
- Leave library trucks outside the photocopy room;
- Supervise children at all times;
- Request permission before using photographic equipment and follow the procedure detailed in the NLM Reading Room Policy on Photography Requests; and
- Use furniture or equipment appropriately.
Your NIH Visitor badge should be visible to the staff at all times.