Willis, SR. NLM Classification 2012 Edition Now Available. NLM Tech Bull. 2012 May-Jun;(386):e1.
The NLM Classification, available online at http://www.nlm.nih.gov/class, incorporates all additions and changes to the schedules and index from April 2011 through March 2012. The PDF version will be updated with 2012 classification data by the end of May 2012.
The QV (Pharmacology) schedule was the major area of focus for the 2012 edition.
- Some QV schedule outline headers were changed.
- QV 610-618 Inorganic Poisons was changed to QV 610-666 Poisons
- QV 627-633 Organic Poisons and QV 662-667 Gas Poisons. Chemical Agents were deleted
- Some QV class number captions and notes were revised to better reflect the scope of the number.
- At QV 38, the caption Drug action was changed to Drug metabolism. Pharmacokinetics.
- At QV 95, the caption Anti-inflammatory analgesics was changed to Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents.
- Disinfectants was removed from the caption at QV 220 and added to the caption at QV 250.
- At QV 240, the caption Dyes and related compounds used in diagnosis or as reagents, indicators, etc. was changed to Coloring agents.
- At QV 241, the caption Tars. Balsams was changed to Complex mixtures.
- At QV 310, the caption Gases and their compounds was changed to Noble gases.
- At QV 663, the caption Chemical agents was augmented with Chemical warfare agents.
- At QV 772, the caption Non-prescription drugs was changed to Drug catalogs.
- At QV 778, the caption Pharmaceutical processes. Drug compounding was changed to Drug delivery systems (General or not elsewhere classified).
- At QV 785, the caption Types of pharmaceutical preparations. Dosage forms was changed to Drug delivery systems.
- At QV 786, the caption Solutions was changed to Drug dosage forms (General or not elsewhere classified).
- At QV 800, the caption Vehicles was changed to Pharmaceutic aids.
- At QV 4, the note was added: Classify here works discussing both pharmacological phenomena and pharmaceutical preparations. Classify works on pharmacological phenomena only in QV 37.
- At QV 55, the note was added: Classify here general works on pharmaceutical preparations and works on specific drugs not elsewhere classified.
- Table G (geographic breakdown) is now permitted with QV 736 and QV 737.
Class Numbers Added and Canceled
Thirty-seven (37) new class numbers were added and four (4) class numbers were canceled.
Class Numbers Added — 2012
||Former Number in the Index
||Pharmacological phenomena and processes
||Antihypertensive agents. Calcium channel blockers
||Lists of poisons, antidotes, etc.
||Specific hydrocarbons, A-Z
||Benzene. Benzene derivatives
||[Drug industry. Economics of pharmacy. Advertising] General coverage (Not Table G)
||[Pharmaceutical services. Community pharmacy. Pharmacies] General coverage (Not Table G)
||Drug design. Drug discovery
||Special dosage forms, A-Z
||QV 785, etc.
||QV 785, etc.
||QV 785, etc.
||[Child welfare. Child health services] General coverage (Not Table G)
||Peripheral nervous system diseases
||Peripheral nerve injuries
||[Reproduction. Pregnancy] General coverage (Not Table G)
Class Numbers Canceled — 2012
||Now Classed in
||Experimental pharmacology (General)
||Systemic poisons. Paralysants
Table G (Geographic Notations)
Changes were made to Table G (Geographic Notations)
- Two (2) Table G numbers were added:
- South Korea (JK6)
- North Korea (JK7)
- Korea was moved to the Historical Geographic Locations retaining the same Table G (JK6)
Other Changes to the Schedule
Changes were made to other class schedules.
- The schedule outline WQ 200-212 Pregnancy was augmented with Reproduction.
- At WB 495, the caption Electric stimulation therapy was augmented with Magnetic field therapy.
- At WE 190, Orthopedic procedures was removed from the caption and Traction was added. Orthopedic Procedures is now classed at WE 168.
- At WN 415, Radioisotopes was removed from the caption.
- At WO 62, and anesthesiologist was added to the caption.
- Instructional notes were added or modified to clarify classification practices as needed.
- A note was added to QT 37: Cf. QU 300-328 Cell engineering.
- A note was added to WE 168: Classify works on orthopedics as a profession in WE 21.
- Table G (geographic breakdown) is now permitted with WA 320.
All index entries pertaining to the aforementioned schedule additions and changes were modified.
Changes to the Index
Eighty-eight (88) new index entries were created of which forty-six (46) are from the 2012 MeSH; the remainder are MeSH terms from previous years. All main index headings are linked to the 2012 vocabulary in the MeSH Browser.
- Krypton Radioisotopes
- Laboratory Personnel
- Magnetic Field Therapy
- Magnetic Fields
- Magnetic Phenomena
- Medical Laboratory Personnel
- Memory, Episodic
- Mercury Compounds
- Metabolic Engineering
- Minority Health
- Musculoskeletal Pain
- Noble Gases
- Occupational Injuries
- Pain Management
- Pain Perception
- Particulate Matter
- Patient Safety
- Pelvic Floor Disorders
- Peripheral Nerve Injuries
- Pharmacological Processes
- Pharmacopoeias as Topic
- Physical Therapists
- Plant Cells
- Plant Pathology
- Polycyclic Hydrocarbons, Aromatic
- Receptors, Kainic Acid
- Reproductive Health
- Reproductive Tract Infections
- Serotonin Uptake Inhibitors
- Sex Workers
- Sodium Compounds
- Trigger Points
- Water Quality
- Xenon Radioisotopes
- Yttrium Radioisotopes
Numerous main index entries and cross references were modified to reflect changes in the MeSH vocabulary.
- Mental Retardation was deleted as a main heading and made a cross reference to Intellectual Disability.
- Biological Products was changed to Biological Agents.
- Laboratory Techniques and Procedures was deleted from the index.
- Intervertebral Disk Displacement was changed to Intervertebral Disc Displacement.
- Community Health Aides was deleted as a main heading and made a cross reference to Community Health Workers.
NLM Classification index entries with Library of Congress Classification G (Geography) and L (Education) class numbers were reviewed for accuracy and relevance.
To learn more about the NLM Classification see the Fact Sheet.
Sharon R. Willis
Cataloging Section, Technical Services Division