December 03, 2010 [Editor's note added]
UMLS® 2010AB Release Available
The 2010AB release of the Unified Medical Language System® (UMLS) Knowledge Sources is available for download as of November 1, 2010. In the new UMLS Release there are:
- More than 2.3 million concepts and 8.5 million unique concept names from 158 source vocabularies; the full Metathesaurus subset requires 21.5 GB
- Two new sources
- International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-10-CM)
- Traditional Korean Medical Terms (TKMT)
- One new mapping file
- Revised SNOMED CT to ICD-9-CM Mapping
- Thirty-one updated English sources and nine updated translation sources including MeSH®, MedDRA (Medical Dictionary for Regulatory Activities), RxNorm, and SNOMED CT® (English and Spanish)
- RxNorm data now include a new term type MIN (Multiple Ingredient Name)
To access the UMLS Release files, you must have an active UMLS Metathesaurus® license and a valid UMLSKS account. You will be prompted for your UMLSKS Login ID and Password when downloading the files.
[Editor's note added December 3, 2010: The UTS beta version was implemented on December 2, 2010. For more information, see UMLS Terminology Services (UTS) Beta Launch.]
Another access option for these data will be via the soon-to-be-released UMLS Terminology Services (UTS), the next generation replacement for the UMLSKS. UMLS licensees will receive an e-mail with beta launch details about the forthcoming UTS.
Additional information regarding the UMLS is available on the UMLS homepage. New users are encouraged to take the UMLS Basics Tutorial and to explore the training materials and other information on the New Users' homepage.
As always, the production and mailing of the UMLS DVDs occur about four weeks after the release is made available for download.
Users must have an active UMLS Terminology Services (UTS) account to request a 2010AB DVD. To request or cancel a DVD: Sign in to the forthcoming UTS and edit your UTS profile to select or deselect the DVD option. This option will be available once the UTS is launched.
Source Release Documentation
2010AB Source Release Documentation Web pages will be published following the release.
Wilder V. UMLS® 2010AB Release Available. NLM Tech Bull. 2010 Nov-Dec;(377):e3.