Unified Medical Language System® (UMLS®)
2009AB ICD-9-CM Source Information
The International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-9-CM) is based on the World Health Organization's Ninth Revision, International Classification of Diseases (ICD-9). The National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) are the U.S. governmental agencies responsible for overseeing all changes and modifications to the ICD-9-CM.
ICD-9-CM is used to code and classify morbidity data from the inpatient and outpatient records, physician offices, and most National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) surveys.
ICD-9-CM is the official system of assigning codes to diagnoses and procedures associated with hospital utilization in the United States.
The ICD-9-CM consists of:
- a tabular list containing a numerical list of the disease code numbers;
- an alphabetical index to the disease entries; and
- a classification system for surgical, diagnostic, and therapeutic procedures (alphabetic index and tabular list).
The Metathesaurus representation of ICD-9-CM includes codes from the tabular lists for diseases, procedures, and supplementary classifications (typically referred to as Volumes 1 and 3). The Metathesaurus does not include terminology extracted from the indexes. In addition to preferred names, the Metathesaurus provides "entry terms" extracted from the tabular lists. These synonyms, or closely related names, are reviewed and edited by UMLS editors and are assigned to the Metathesaurus Additional Entry Terms for ICD-9-CM source.
ICD-9-CM is used in a variety of clinical and health care applications for reporting, morbidity statistics, and billing.
ICD-9-CM is updated annually in July.
Metathesaurus Update Frequency
ICD-9-CM is updated annually in the November Metathesaurus release.
- Classifications of Diseases and Functioning & Disability [Internet]. Hyattsville (MD): National Center for Health Statistics; [reviewed 2008 Sep 02; cited 2008 Sep 29]. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/icd9.htm
- Classifications of Diseases and Functioning & Disability [Internet]. Hyattsville (MD): National Center for Health Statistics; [reviewed 2008 Oct 15]. International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-9-CM); [reviewed 2007 Jan 11; cited 2008 Sep 29]. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/about/otheract/icd9/abticd9.htm