DOCLINE -- Clearing the Cache on Your Web Browser
Question: Why and how should I clear the cache on my Web browser?
Clearing the cache on your web browser may speed your web page downloading time and improve the performance of web-based systems and databases, such as NLM's DOCLINE, PubMed, and LocatorPlus. In DOCLINE, clearing the cache prevents outdated information from displaying.
When DOCLINE isn't performing as expected, we recommend you 'clear the cache' (delete browsing history) to remove "Temporary Internet Files". It is not usually necessary to delete the "cookies" stored by your browser.
Before clearing your browser's cache, make sure that you are using a supported browser and that the browser's options are set correctly, following the Browser Settings that are part of the DOCLINE System Requirements.
To clear your browser cache, follow the instructions for your browser type (Internet Explorer or Firefox) below:
Internet Explorer 8.x, 9.x & 10.x
- Select Internet Options from the Tools pull-down menu, or if the menu is not displayed, from the gear icon.
- The Internet Options will display. On the General tab, locate the Browsing history section and click Delete...
- The Delete Browsing History dialog box displays.
- Check the box for Preserve Favorites website data.
- Check the box for Temporary Internet Files (some versions may also say and website files).
- Click the Delete button. The spinning 'busy' icon displays until deletions complete.
- Click the OK button to close the Internet Options window.
- Select Options from the Tools pull-down menu, or if the menu is not displayed, from the 'open menu' icon in the top right.
- On the Advanced panel, choose the Network tab.
- In the Cached Web Content section, click Clear Now. The spinning 'busy' icon displays until deletions complete.
- Click the OK button to close the Options window.
Browser Settings for DOCLINE: Firefox
- Related Questions:
- How do I adjust my computer for best viewing DOCLINE?
- List of DOCLINE System Requirements?
- What browsers does DOCLINE support?