DOCLINE -- Connecting to DOCLINE from behind a Firewall or Proxy Server
Question: How do I connect to DOCLINE and stay connected if my institution uses a firewall or a proxy server?
Certain firewall packages may encounter problems with DOCLINE. If it appears that a user's login status is being dropped, do the following:
- Notify NLM of the problem via the "Contact NLM" link in DOCLINE under Help, or by sending a message to email@example.com. Provide a detailed description of the problem including which function(s) you are encountering problems with or you are unable to perform. Also include your institution name, LIBID, and contact information for you and the technical resource at your site.
- Internet Explorer 7.x and 8.x users: Try adding NLM's IP address as a "trusted site." Open Tools, Internet Options, then click on the Security tab. Click on the Trusted Sites icon, then the Sites button. If you want to add our IP address as a trusted source, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your institution name, LIBID, and contact information for the technical resource at your site.
- Try adding NLM's IP address as a "trusted source" to your proxy server or firewall software configuration settings. If you want to add our IP address as a trusted source, please send a message to email@example.com and include your institution name, LIBID, and contact information for the technical resource at your site.
- Contact your firewall software vendor to resolve any connection problem. If you and your firewall vendor cannot resolve the problem, NLM may need a trace packet of an unsuccessful login attempt and/or an unsuccessful transaction within DOCLINE to analyze the problem. Ask the vendor if 'read-ahead' cache is being used with your firewall software. The 'read-ahead' settings may need to be modified to work properly with DOCLINE. NLM may need to work directly with your firewall vendor and a technical contact at your site.
Note: We recommend that users with proxy servers configure their software to NOT cache HTTP or HTTPS requests from the docline.gov domain.
- Related Questions:
- Why and how should I clear the cache on my Web browser?
- List of DOCLINE System Requirements.