DOCLINE -- Resubmitting a Retired Unfilled Request
Question: What should I check before resubmitting a retired unfilled request?
Before resubmitting a retired unfilled request, review its routing history and any rejection reason(s). To view the routing history, click the Action link for the request on the Status/Cancel results screen. To see the original request, click the Request # link.
Below is a list of "retired unfilled" request final Actions and Reasons. See suggested remediation actions below before resubmitting a "retired unfilled" request.
- Check the Need No Later Than field on the Routing Instructions page, and make the appropriate changes.
- Make appropriate changes on the Routing Instructions page based upon the reason you canceled the request.
Not Filled (Canceled):
- Review your notes on the request to determine why you asked the Lender to cancel it, to determine what changes are needed.
- As needed, contact the lender who updated the request as "Not Filled (Canceled)".
Not Filled (Copyright):
- Review the material and pages requested to determine whether the request meets Title 17 of the U.S. Code.
- Review the Copyright Compliance field on the Routing Instructions page.
- As needed, contact the lender who updated the request as "Not Filled (Copyright)", and ask why they deemed the request not compliant with copyright law.
Not Filled (Cost):
- Check the Maximum Cost field on the Routing Instructions page.
- If your routing table is structured around fees charged by lenders (i.e., free libraries in the first cells), review which routing cells were used for the request by looking at the values shown on the Routing Instructions page during Resubmit.
- Select and clear individual numbered routing cells, check boxes for routing to "Resource Libraries," "NLM" and "All other Libraries" as needed based on the Maximum Cost.
- Separately, consider changes to your Routing Table as needed to remove libraries whose charges are incompatible with your default Maximum Cost.
Not Filled (Incomplete):
- For non-PubMed requests, verify the citation entered and correct as necessary on the Citation screen.
- As needed, contact the lender who updated the request as "Not Filled (Incomplete)", and ask what other details may be required.
Routing is determined by the default routing instructions stored in your Institution record. Routing instructions can be modified while placing or resubmitting an individual request. "Routing instructions" include information on what routing table cells the system will check and your chosen defaults for routing to "Resource Libraries", "NLM" or "All other Libraries", and your requested delivery method(s), your requested Service Level, Service Type, Fill From Physical Format and EFTS selection, as well as the reported Serial Holdings (volume or year) of libraries in your routing table.
Beyond Routing Map:
- Review which routing cells you selected for the request by examining the values shown on the Routing Instructions page during Resubmit. Select and clear routing cells as needed: for example, clear cells which could not previously fill the request unless the rejection reason is temporary (for example, "Not On Shelf", "At Bindery").
- Review the Network Delivery, Network Alternative Delivery, and NLM Delivery fields to determine whether changing delivery methods would make more libraries available to route the request to.
- Search DOCLINE Serial Holdings for potential lenders not in your Routing Table, consider selecting Resource Libraries and All other Libraries to increase the number of libraries available to which the request can route.
- Check the requested Service Type, Service Level and consider clearing Only Route to EFTS Participants, if checked.
Note: NLM suggests that lenders who charge more than the Maximum Cost indicated on a request update the request as "not filled for cost." The borrower may resubmit the request by increasing the Maximum Cost. Borrowers should not ask lenders to update for other reasons to keep the request routing.
- Related Questions:
- How do I change the routing instructions in my requests?
- How does routing to "Resource Libraries" work?
- How does routing to "All other Libraries" work?
- How does Routing work?
- What do the Actions and Reasons mean?