FAQ: Find a Doctor or Information about a Doctor
We cannot suggest a best doctor for a particular disease or condition. To find doctors who specialize in specific diseases or conditions and their qualifications, we suggest you use Web sites and local resources.
- MedlinePlus® directories of doctors, dentists, hospitals, and other healthcare professionals and facilities
- MedlinePlus Choosing a Doctor or Health Care Service
- AMA DoctorFinder basic professional information on licensed physicians in the U.S.
- Official ABMS Directory of Board Certified Medical Specialists (ABMS) Is Your Doctor Board Certified? professional and biographical information
- Directory of State Medical and Osteopathic Boards for individual state boards
- Medicare.gov Physician Compare has information about Medicare-enrolled physicians and healthcare professionals
- County or state medical society for names of doctors and their specialties
- Your doctor for a recommendation to a specialist
- Your insurance provider for a list of approved providers
- Hospitals for names of affiliated doctors
- Directories at your public library (may be print or electronic)
Contact an Author of a Relevant Journal Article
Search the NLM MEDLINE®/PubMed® database for current medical journal articles to find authors who specialize in specific conditions or treatments. Note that many highly qualified specialists are not publishing. For more information about searching for authors, go to PubMed Help.