History of Medicine
IndexCat -- Truncation
Question: How do I truncate search terms, indicate importance or search for a phrase?
To truncate words, indicate word importance or a phrase, apply the following characters:
- Use a question mark (?) after a search term to indicate truncation: child? (finds child, children, childhood, etc.)
- Use quotation marks to search for specific phrases: "by localities"
- Use a plus sign (+) before a terms to indicate an essential term: +leukemia
- Use an asterisk (*) before a term to indicate an important item: *treatment
- Use an exclamation point (!) before a term to indicate that records containing the term are not to be displayed: !childish
Tip: Some stems for truncations: case? biog? obit?