NLM Scholar Study Facilities
National Library of Medicine (NLM) Scholar Studies are available for the use of NLM Scholars-in-Residence, Fogarty Scholars, NIH Visiting Fellows, Scientists, Guest Workers, and certain others engaged in health-related research or preparing health-related publications requiring the use of the Library's collections.
- Priority for Room Assignment
- Time Period for Room Assignments
- Privileges Provided to Scholar Study Occupants
- Assignment of Space
- Space Availability
- Application for Scholar Study
Following is the priority order for assignment of Scholar Studies:
- NLM Scholars-in-Residence
- Fogarty Scholars
- NIH Visiting Fellows, Visiting Scientists, and Guest Workers
- Others engaged in health-related research or preparing health-related publications:
- U.S. Government personnel engaged in official projects
- Health professionals engaged in specific projects
- Authors preparing manuscripts with publication deadlines
Studies are assigned for a period appropriate to the need but usually do not exceed six months. If additional time is required, requests will be reviewed for possible renewal.
- Occupants will have access to the Scholar Study during the hours the Library is open to the public.
- Occupants will be issued stack passes for the period of their occupancy.
- Occupants may remove material from the stacks for use in Studies in compliance with stack regulations.
- NLM Scholars-in-Residence, Fogarty Scholars, NIH Visiting Fellows, Visiting Scholars, Guest Workers, and Federal employees will be provided access to staff photocopiers at no charge at those times when they are not in use by NLM staff providing public service. For all others, the standard fee will be charged for use of the copiers in the Reading Room.
- Occupants will be provided appropriate reference assistance on request.
- Occupants may have telephones installed for their personal use by arrangement with the Chief, Office of Administrative Management Services. Occupants are responsible for installation, removal, and all expenses of such telephone service.
- Material from the Library's collections may not be removed from the National Library of Medicine without the permission of the Heads of the appropriate Sections.
- NLM staff will remove materials from studies needed for photocopying purposes or at a visitor's request, and return them promptly upon completion.
- Materials and equipment, such as computers and video equipment, are left in Studies at the risk of the occupant. The Library cannot assume responsibility for any personal property.
- Consumption of food or beverages or the carrying of food or beverages in the stack areas or in the Studies is not permitted.
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere in the Library, or on the NIH campus.
- Assignments to available Studies will be made upon written application submitted to the Office of the Chief, Public Services Division, stating the need for the Study, the nature of the project under study or the publication being prepared, professional affiliation, sponsorship of the project, and the estimated length of time the Study will be required.
- Assignments will be made in the order received based on the order of priority indicated above.
- Occupants may be required to vacate Studies prior to completion of the assigned time period if higher priority users are awaiting space.
The following Scholar Studies are available:
- First Floor - eight rooms
NLM Scholar Studies are available for the use of NLM Scholars-in-Residence, Fogarty Scholars, NIH Visiting Fellows, Scientists, and Guest Workers, and certain others engaged in health-related research or preparing health-related publications requiring the use of the Library's collections.
Scholar Studies are made available upon written application submitted to the Office of the Chief, Public Services Division, Room 1S33. The request should state the nature of the project under study or the publication being prepared, professional affiliation, sponsorship, and time needed.
Please write to:
National Library of Medicine
Public Services Division
8600 Rockville Pike
Building 38/Room 1S33
Bethesda, MD 20894