FAQ: Reporting an Error in PubMed
Question: How do I report an error, such as my name incorrectly spelled, in a PubMed citation?
To report an error in a PubMed citation:
- Check the way the citation, for example, the author or title, appears in the publication.
- If the information is wrong in the journal, contact the journal publisher. Ask the publisher to publish an "erratum" using the information in the NLM Errata Fact Sheet.
- If the information is correct in the publication, and wrong in PubMed with a label [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]:
Send a message to NLM Customer Services at
- The correct journal name, volume, issue, and page number
- The title the of article, or the PMID number (example, PMID: 1234567)
- The author name using last name and initials (example, Jones JA)
NOTE: PubMed citations with tags [PubMed - in process] and [PubMed - as supplied by publisher] have not yet been processed through NLM's quality control procedures and are more likely to be incorrect than those labeled, [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]