MEDLINE/PubMed Search & Electronic Health Record Information Resources
The Electronic Health Record search focuses on all aspects of the Electronic Health Record. Subjects include: implementation, attitudes, beliefs and use, data privacy, health data standards and consumer access to the EHR and personal health records (PHRs).
The US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) defines the electronic health record as "An electronic record of health-related information on an individual that conforms to nationally recognized interoperability standards and that can be created, managed, and consulted by authorized clinicians and staff across more than one health care organization." The National Library of Medicine® is a major participant in electronic health record development.
Electronic Health Record Information Resources
- National Library of Medicine (NLM®)
- US Department of Health & Human Services (HHS)
- Other Federal Government Resources
- Associations & Foundations
- NLM Long Range Plan, 2006-2016, Goal 3: Integrated Biomedical, Clinical, and Public Health Information Systems that
Promote Scientific Discovery and Speed the Translation of Research into Practice
- Health Information Technology and Health Data Standards at NLM
NLM is the central coordinating body for clinical terminology standards within the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
- MedlinePlus Connect: Linking Electronic Health Records (EHRs) to MedlinePlus Health Information
- Ending the Document Game: Connecting and Transforming Your Healthcare Through Information Technology
- MedlinePlus®: Personal Medical Records
- ClinicalTrials.gov: (Use of EHRs in disease management)
- Unified Medical Language System® (UMLS®) (1997)
- UMLS Bibliography, 1986 - present
- Confidentiality of Electronic Health Data (1996)
- FAQ: Medical Codes
- Health Information Technology Home
- AHRQ National Resource Center for Health Information Technology - Electronic Medical Records Systems
- Personal Health Record – Overview: Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- VA/DoD Health IT Sharing (HITS) Program: Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense
Healthcare for veterans and eligible service members, including National Guard soldiers and reservists.
Responsible for the oversight and coordination of VA/DoD health IT projects and programs within the VA.
- Indian Health Service E.H.R. Initiatives
- American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
- American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA)
- Health IT: California HealthCare Foundation
- Certification Commission for Healthcare Information Technology (CCHIT)
“certification body for electronic health records and their networks, and a private, nonprofit initiative.”
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS)
- HL7: Health Level 7: Standards for clinical information systems
- Healthcare Information Technology Standards Panel (HITSP): The American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
Link to the official HITSP site
- Health Record Banking Alliance (HRBA): Organization for storing and archiving electronic health records
- International Medical Informatics Association: IMIA
Group of major regional national informatics associations. AMIA is the US member.
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO): Standards (for purchase) & other documents
- Public Health Informatics Institute (PHII)
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)
- Computational Technology for Effective Health Care: Immediate Steps and Strategic Directions (2009)
National Academy of Sciences. Commissioned and partially funded by the NLM
- Government Health IT Magazine and Web site
- Health Information Management Journal (HIM Journal), Health Information Management Association of Australia (HIMAA) Ltd.
- Journal of AHIMA, American Health Information Management Association