FAQ: Medical Statistics
National Library of Medicine® (NLM®) reference librarians created an annotated subject guide on Health Statistics and Numerical Data. The subject guide includes specific Medical Subject Headings (MeSH terms) to search for in PubMed and links to data on:
- specific diseases
- health insurance
- medical procedures, and
Here are a few of the major sources of health and medical statistics:
US Health and Medical Statistics Sources
- Agency for Health Research and Quality (AHRQ) for Health Care Utilization (HCUP) and Medical Expenditures (MEPS)
- CDC National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) for US health statistics, including community health status indicators.
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) for spending, enrollment and claims data.
- FedStats links to statistical information from over 100 federal agencies and programs, including the US Census bureau for population-related statistics.
- NIH Institutes and Offices for disease specific statistical information starting points.
- NLM MedlinePlus® Health Statistics topic page for links to selected health statistics sources; MedlinePlus Health topic pages for links to disease-specific statistics sources.
- NLM National Information Center on Health Services Research and Health Care Technology (NICHSR):
- Partners in Information Access for the Public Health Workforce for links to individual state statistics, county and local health data.
- US Census Bureau for vital health and other statistics.
- Injuries, Illnesses, and Fatalities (IIF) for annual reports on workplace injuries, illnesses, and fatal injuries.
International Health Statistics Sources
- World Health Organization (WHO) Global Health Observatory (GHO) for data, tools, analysis and reports by country or health topic.
- United Nations UNdata and Statistical Databases for links to Millennium Development Goals (MDG) Indicators and other international sources of data.
- Pan American Health Organization for Regional Core Data and other international statistical information.
- EU Health Statistical Reports for reports from Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union.
- UK National Statistics for data from United Kingdom by topic or department for statistical release announcements.