FAQ: Medical Statistics
NLM® MEDLINE®/PubMed® can be searched for citations to published articles with statistics (add "AND statistics[mh]" to the search or append "/statistics and numerical data[mh]" to a MeSH term). NLM staff have also created an annotated subject guide on Health Statistics and Numerical Data which includes many of the major sources for this information and more about searching PubMed for statistics.
Some selected sources of health and medical statistics are:
US Health and Medical Statistics Sources
- Agency for Health Research and Quality (AHRQ) links to Health Care Utilization (HCUP) and Medical Expenditures (MEPS).
- CDC National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) is the principal US health statistics agency that compiles statistical information.
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is a major source for research statistics, data & systems information.
- FedStats makes statistics available from 100+ agencies/programs available.
- NIH Institutes and Offices are starting points for disease specific statistical information.
- NLM MedlinePlus® Health Statistics topic page links to selected health statistics sources; MedlinePlus Health Topic pages link to disease-specific statistics sources.
- NLM National Information Center on Health Services Research and Health Care Technology (NICHSR) Finding and Using Health Statistics describes available health statistics and sources. The NICHSR HSR Information Central (HSRIC) links to Data, Tools and Statistics, HSRR (Health Services and Sciences Research Resources), and more.
- Partners in Information Access for the Public Health Workforce includes links for individual states statistics.
- US Census Bureau collects vital health and other statistics.
- US Bureau of Labor Statistics Injuries, Illnesses, and Fatalities (IIF) links to work-related statistics.
International Health Statistics Sources
- World Health Organization (WHO) Global Health Observatory (GHO) is a starting point for data, tools, analysis and reports.
- United Nations UNdata and Statistical Databases and link to Millennium Development Goals (MDG) Indicators link to many international sources of data.
- Pan American Health Organization provides Regional Core Data and other international statistical information.
- European Commission for EU Health Statistical Reports are available from Eurostat.
- UK National Statistics are available by topic or department.