Medical Stock Sources: Images, Photographs, Videos, Animations, and Film Footage
The National Library of Medicine® (NLM®) is not a source for medical stock shots, images, videos, animations, or footage. For your convenience, we list resources for medical stock shots, images, photographs, slides, videos, animations, and film footage that may be helpful.
US Government Medical Stock Image & Footage
Most US government images and graphics are in the public domain. Read the disclaimers on each site before use.
- US Government Photos and Graphics list biomedical images under "Health and Nutrition."
- Images from the History of Medicine (IHM) has more than 70,000 historical images, from the Middle Ages to the present. You can also search IHM through LocatorPlus® and NLM Catalog. Our Interlibrary Loan Fact Sheet explains how to borrow items from our collection.
- The NLM Visible Human Project® is a digital image library of complete, normal adult male and female anatomies.
- NCI Visuals Online from the National Cancer Institute helps communicators of medical and public health convey meaning, describe concepts, and tell stories.
- Open-I is an Open Access Biomedical Images search engine accessing the National Library of Medicine's PubMed Central (PMC) open archive of free full-text biomedical and life sciences journal literature.
- The Photos, Images, and Videos Catalog is from the National Eye Institute.
- Public Health Image Library (PHIL) is a gateway to pictures at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- The US Census Multimedia Gallery resources are free to use in news media and public information products.
Biology Image Library (United Kingdom)
FOTOSEARCH, includes LifeART
You can find more information in the book, AV Marketplace (New York: Information Today, Inc.); a library in your area may own this.
NLM is not responsible for the availability or content of non-NLM sites, nor does NLM endorse, warrant, or guarantee the products, services, or information described or offered at other sites.