Classification and Shelflisting
- The National Library of Medicine Classification is published online. The NLM Classification has been updated as of May 2014. See NLM Technical Bulletin, 2013 Nov.-Dec.;(395):e5.
For a brief explanatory discussion, follow this link to the NLM Fact Sheet on the National Library of Medicine Classification. For geographic notation, see the following section:
--Table G Practices
--Table G (geographic notation)
Outline of Schedules: see online NLM Classification.
Downloading the NLM Classification
The National Library of Medicine Classification is available for download in PDF and HTML formats.
Note: The National Library of Medicine Classification is no longer available as a print publication.
- NLM Policy on Subject Analysis and Classification html | pdf
- Accession number shelving of printed monographs
See NLM Technical Bulletin, Jan/Feb 1994 (pages 19-20).
- Accession Number Shelving of Non-Print Materials
See NLM Technical Bulletin 2004 Nov-Dec;(341):e5.
- Shelflisting Procedures for Monographs and Classed Serials
- Shelflisting Procedures and Policies for W1 Serials
See NLM Technical Bulletin, May/June 1995 (page 21).