Mission of the National Library of Medicine Cataloging and Metadata Management Section
(1) Provides authoritative bibliographic records required for the bibliographic control of the biomedical literature procured in English and foreign languages for the NLM collection and other NLM programs;
(2) maintains machine-readable bibliographic and related records in NLM data bases and Name Authority Files;
(3) distributes machine-readable records in MARC and XML formats;
(4) provides metadata mapping and services for bibliographic and authority data;
(5) maintains the NLM Classification;
(6) cooperates with the Library of Congress and with other libraries in a variety of shared and cooperative bibliographic control programs; and
(7) assists biomedical libraries using NLM's bibliographic data as the source for cataloging copy.