Associate Fellowship Program: Host Institutions
Deadline for letters of interest: April 1, 2020
The NLM Associate Fellowship Program includes an optional second year at a library or information center in an academic health sciences center, hospital, or other health-related organization. The additional year provides an opportunity to develop skills and gain experience in working with administrators, librarians, health professionals, system developers, and educators to design and implement information services that are integrated with clinical and/or educational programs and contribute directly to accomplishing the parent institution's mission.
Visit the Optional Second Year page for a list of current and past second year Associate placements.
Timeline for Host Institutions
April 1, 2020 -- Deadline for Institution Letter of Interest
April 2020 - June 2020 -- Review
June 2020 - July 2020 -- Decision made by Associate Fellows and host sites
September 1, 2020 - August 31, 2021 -- Associate Fellow will be at Host Institution
Institution Letters of Interest
Due: April 1, 2020
A potential host institution is a library or information center in an academic health sciences center, hospital, or other health-related organization that expresses interest in hosting an associate fellow by submitting a letter of interest. The letter of interest should include the following:
- Name of the institution
- Statement of interest to host an Associate Fellow
- Proposed stipend and benefits to the Associate Fellows
- Named preceptor, with brief bio (250 words)
- Budget with stipend list and institutional letter of financial commitment
- Potential project areas, briefly summarized (200 words); minimum of 2 project areas listed. Project areas can include but are not limited to:
- Bioinformatics and/or translational sciences
- Clinical librarianship and/or clinical informatics
- Outreach to underserved or previously unreached populations
- Data Curation and data management
- Specialized library experience (veterinary, public health, science, history of medicine, archives, etc.)
- Instruction and Instructional Design
- Medical ontology/terminology and representation
- User experience research and design
- Social media
The letter of interest is not expected to exceed 4 pages. Received letters of interest will be acknowledged by NLM. Approved host sites will be sent copies of the curriculum vitae of the Associate Fellows and contact information.
Review by Host Sites and Associate Fellows
April 2020 - June 2020
Associate Fellows receive letters of interest, review them, and contact the institutions in which they are interested. Host sites may contact the Associate Fellows to interest them in spending the 2nd year at their institution. During this time period, the Associate Fellows will select one institution to visit based on conversations with the host site. Approval of the NLM Associate Fellowship Coordinator is required prior to institution selection.
June 2020 - July 31, 2020
Associate and host site reach mutual agreement that the host site will commit to hosting the Associate Fellow for the year, pending final approval from NLM. Plan for hosting an Associate Fellow for the 2nd fellowship year due at the end of July 2020.
NLM Associate Fellow Institution Hosting Plan
July 31, 2020
Final NLM approval of the host site requires letters of support from Library Administration and from the Institution’s Administration. Host sites must commit to providing a physical location for the Associate Fellow, appropriate office equipment, and sufficient supervisory and mentor guidance, and stated activities that would further leadership development of the Associate Fellow. A selected preceptor should commit to 2-5% of his or her time to mentoring the Associate Fellow.
The Host Institution will provide:
- Stipend or salary for a year, at a locally competitive rate for an entry-level librarian, payable directly to the Associate Fellow
- Health benefits
The National Library of Medicine will provide:
- Professional development funds to support the Associate Fellow’s learning, $7,000
- Professional development funds to support the institution’s preceptor, $5,000
- Support for the Associate Fellow and preceptor to attend a colloquium at the National Library of Medicine in June
- Support for the Associate Fellow to attend the Medical Library Association’s annual conference
- Support for an interview trip for the Associate Fellow to a potential host site
- Relocation funding
- Mentoring support from the Associate Fellowship Program office through progress phone calls and site visits
There is no obligation by a potential Host Institution to make an offer or by an Associate Fellow to accept an offer.
Quarterly Report: At the end of each quarter, the Associate Fellow will send a quarterly report of activities to the Associate Fellowship Coordinator. The Preceptor will send a financial report to the NLM Associate Fellowship Program Coordinator. Periodic evaluations of the Associates should be sent to the NLM Associate Fellowship Program Coordinator.
Annual Report and NLM Evaluation: All Fellows and Host Preceptors will participate in a colloquium reporting on the experience at NLM during the summer, usually in June. This sharing of experiences will help NLM, the host institutions, and the Associate Fellows evaluate the effectiveness of the program and identify possible improvements.
Any written project reports or summaries resulting from the experience should be submitted to both NLM and ORISE.
Any resulting publications should acknowledge the support of the host institution, NLM and ORISE.
Send 1 (One) Copy of All Letters and any questions to:
Kathel Dunn, Program Coordinator
Associate Fellows Program
Bldg 38 Room 2N-05
National Library of Medicine
8600 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD 20894
Last Reviewed: December 11, 2019