Staff Scientist 1 for HCC Approval #: NLM27-0009
The following position will be posted from Wednesday, February 3, 2021 – Wednesday, March 5, 2021
NATIONAL LIBRARY OF MEDICINE, BETHESDA, MARYLAND
The National Library of Medicine’s (NLM), National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) is recruiting for a Staff Scientist 1. The position supports interdisciplinary research in the Computational Biology Branch. NLM is one of 27 Institutes at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), part of the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).
NLM is seeking an outstanding candidate to conduct research, devise new methods, and develop programs to answer important questions in different areas of computational biology. This position is responsible for:
- performing interdisciplinary research;
- designing algorithms, devising new computational methods, and developing stand-alone and web-based applications;
- maintaining and improving previously developed in-house programs;
- providing support to users of the developed software;
- mentoring students and Postbaccalaureate Fellows; and,
- staying abreast of bioinformatics and learning emerging computational biology methods.
The ideal candidate may or may not be a United States citizen and must have a doctoral degree.
We are looking for an individual with:
- a Ph.D. in a quantitative field, such as Physics, Mathematics, Computational Biology, etc.;
- at least seven years of relevant postdoctoral experience;
- a strong track record in research as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications;
- research experience in advanced nucleotide and amino acid sequence analysis, mathematical modeling of genome evolution, and the discovery of diagnostic cancer gene signatures;
- familiarity with Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data and relevant tools, such as genome assemblers, aligners, and variant callers;
- proven ability to apply mathematical modeling to a broad range of problems;
- fluency in MATLAB, Python, and R;
- demonstrated experience in scientific programming and development of web applications;
- proven ability to work on interdisciplinary projects not directly related to his/her training;
- demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing; and,
- proven ability to work both independently and as a team member.
Salary is commensurate with research experience and accomplishments. A full package of benefits, including retirement, health, life, and long-term care insurance, Thrift Savings Plan participation, etc., is available.
The successful candidate will serve in a non-competitive appointment in the excepted service.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested individuals should send a copy of their CV and Bibliography with the names of three references along with a cover letter detailing research interests, a brief summary of communication and organizational skills, and evidence of engagement in multi-disciplinary collaborative research to email@example.com. Please include the announcement number, NLM 27-0009, in the cover letter. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Last Reviewed: February 3, 2021