Skip Navigation Bar
 

Guide to Collections Relating to the History of Artificial Internal Organs

respository

Mayo Foundation Archives, Mayo Clinic



address

200 First Street SW; Plummer Building - 3rd Floor, Rochester, Minnesota, 55905


Telephone

(507) 284-2585


Fax Number

507-266-2295


Website


Contact Person

Renee Ziemer, Coordinator, Mayo Historical Unit


email

ziemer.renee@mayo.edu



Access and Services

The resources of the Archives are open to all members of the Mayo community, and upon approval to others interested in the history of the Mayo Foundation. The collections may be accessed from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday.



Abstract

The Mayo Foundation Archives documents and supports the life of the Mayo Foundation through its collections, programs, and services. The Archival collections contain official records of the Foundation and its administrative offices, official and unofficial publications, departmental annual reports, committee minutes, records of organizations, as well as personal papers and memorabilia pertaining to the Mayo Foundation and its programs and people.




Collections


title/date

Gibbon-type Heart-lung Bypass Machine, 1954.



Collection ID

Unaccessioned



Quantity

One object



Biographical Note

The heart-lung bypass machine was designed to divert blood flow around the heart to create an operative field free of blood for the time required to repair defects in the heart. It was employed in some of the first successful operations on human hearts conducted with the aid of mechanical pump oxygenator systems. The machine was built largely in 1954 in the Section of Engineering of the Mayo Clinic under the direction of Richard E. Jones. The basic apparatus was originated by Dr. John H. Gibbon, of Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia and built for him by International Business Machines, Inc. Dr. Gibbons placed the plans and specifications of his apparatus at the disposal of the research and clinical team of the Mayo Clinic. Specifications for the modifications and changes incorporated in the Mayo Clinic apparatus were based on work carried out by Doctors David E. Donald, and Dr. H.J.C. Swan, research assistants, Dr. Harry G. Harshbarger, a fellow in surgery; Dr. John W. Kirklin, head of a section of Surgery; and Dr. Earl H. Wood, of the Section of Physiology of the Mayo Clinic. Work in the experimental laboratory, required before the apparatus could be ready for use on humans, was carried out by Dr. Peter S. Hetzel, research assistant, Dr. Robert T. Patrick, of the Section of Anesthesiology and Intravenous Therapy, and Drs. Kirklin, Wood, Donald and Harshberger. The bypass machine was first employed at the Mayo Clinic on a five year old girl on March 23, 1955. Dr. Kirklin was the cardiac surgeon, assisted by Dr. Harshbarger. The anesthesiologist was Dr. Robert Patrick. Dr. Donald and Jim Fellows operated the heart-lung machine. Drs. Wood and Hetzel collected the physiological data in a separate recording room.



Collection Description

Gibbon-type heart-lung bypass machine, 1954.



Finding Aid

None



Restrictions

None



Related Material

Mayo Clinic Subject Vertical Files, c. 1900 and ongoing.




title/date

Mayo Clinic Subject Vertical Files, c. 1900 and ongoing.



Collection ID

580.01/01



Quantity

22 linear feet



Biographical Note

The subject file was initiated in the 1960s by Archives staff.



Collection Description

This growing collection of materials includes articles, newspaper clippings, photos, correspondence, and reprints. Subjects related to artificial organs include:

  • Gibbon's Heart-Lung Machine (1954)
  • Artificial Larynx (1931), Dr. Charles Sheard
  • Artificial Kidney Machines (1954- )


Finding Aid

None



Restrictions

None



Related Material

None