History of Medicine
F Street, with the Treasury Building in background, 1915
Courtesy Library of Congress
In the 19th and early 20th centuries, the stretch of F Street from the Department of Treasury (just east of the White House) to 6th Street, NW, was a fashionable district of Washington. A few of the early medical establishments were also located here. Georgetown University Medical Department occupied a building next to the corner of F and 12th Streets from 1851 to 1868. The Medical Hall, the first headquarters of the Medical Society of the District of Columbia, was built in 1868 near the corner of F and 10th Streets. Dr. Robert King Stone (1822-1872), a prominent Washington physician, lived and maintained his office in a large house at the corner of F and 14th Streets. He was President Abraham Lincoln's doctor. The Children's Hospital operated in a 12-bed facility at F and 13th Streets from 1870 until 1879. A few years later, in 1884, the National Homeopathic Hospital was founded on F Street, between 11th and 12th Streets. Yet today tall business buildings and establishments such as Banana Republic, McDonald's and Popeyes that line F Street provide no clues as to the medical importance of the area in the 19th century.
See: #13 on Downtown Map.
Nearest Metro Station: 'Metro Center' on Blue, Orange and Red Lines; 'Gallery Place-Chinatown' on Red, Green and Yellow Lines.
Note: Buildings mentioned no longer exist.