National Information Center on Health Services Research and Health Care Technology (NICHSR)
Serving the Information Needs of the Health Services Research Community
HSR General Resources
- Data, Tools and Statistics
- HSR Social Media Resources
- Education and Training
- Grants, Funding and Fellowships
- Guidelines, Journals Other Publications
- Key Organizations
- Meetings and Conferences
- State and State/Local Resources
- Aging Population Issues
- Comparative Effectiveness Research (CER)
- Child Health Services Research
- Evaluation Resources for Assessing HIT Systems and HIT Implementation, Adoption and Use
- Dissemination and Implementation Science
- Evidence-Based Practice and Health Technology Assessment
- Health Care Reform, Health Economics, and Health Policy
- Health Disparities
- Health Informatics
- Health Literacy and Cultural Competence
- Privacy/Security and Research with Electronic Health Records
- Public Health Services and Systems Research
- Rural Health
News about Health Services Research
News items 4 weeks and older are available on the News Archive Web page.
- Heath System Leaders Working Towards High Value Care through Integration of Care and Research - (Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) US) - 16-APR-2014 This two-day workshop will be shown via webcast on April 23 - April 24, 2014. Registration is required.
- CMS proposes adoption of updated Life Safety Code - (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)) - 15-APR-2014 Comments are welcome on a proposed rule on the adoption of updated life safety code until June, 16, 2014.
- MEPS Two-Day Data Users' Workshop - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - 14-APR-2014 Registration is open for the workshop, being held May 5-6, 2014 in Rockville, MD. The workshop will assist health services researchers in utilizing the Medical Expenditure Panel Survey, Household Component data/
- Using Patient Safety Organizations to Improve Quality, Safety, and Efficiency in Health Care - (National Patient Safety Foundation (NPSF) US) - 11-APR-2014 This 1/2 day class will be held in conjunction with the 16th Annual NPSF Patient Safety Congress, on Wednesday, May 14, 2014
- Roundtable on Population Health Improvement and Roundtable on the Promotion of Health Equity and the Elimination of Health Disparities - Accelerating a Movement to Improve Health and Promote Health Equity - (Institute of Medicine (IOM)) - 11-APR-2014 The agenda and selected presentation from this December 5, 2013 meeting are available.
- The Coverage Gap: Uninsured Poor Adults in States that Do Not Expand Medicaid - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 08-APR-2014 An issue brief and technical appendices examine the effects on the uninsured populations in 26 states that opted to not expand Medicaid.
- How Will the Uninsured Fare Under the Affordable Care Act? - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 08-APR-2014 This fact sheet presents statistical data on the effects of ACA on the uninsured.
- Capturing Social and Behavioral Domains in Electronic Health Records: Phase 1 - (Institute of Medicine (IOM)) - 08-APR-2014 This publication is the first phase of a study which will identify the domains and measures that capture the social determinants of health which will inform recommendations for meaningful use of EHRs.
- CHARTS: How Enrollment in ACA Compares to CHIP and Medicare Part D - (Brookings Institution US) - 02-APR-2014 A new chart compares the "take-up rate" of the ACA to CHIP and Medicare Part D.
- The Health of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender People: Building a Foundation for Better Understanding - (Institute of Medicine (IOM)) - 01-APR-2014 This report looks at the varying factors that impact the health care of the LGBT community.
- Children's Health Coverage: Medicaid, CHIP and the ACA - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 01-APR-2014 A new issue brief provides an overview of the history of Children's health coverage, and issues leading to the reauthorization of CHIP.
- Health System Leaders Working Towards High Value Care through Integration of Care and Research - (Institute of Medicine (IOM)) - 31-MAR-2014 Registration is available to view the webcast of this meeting, being held April 23, 2014 - April 24, 2014 in Washington DC.
- Patient-Centered Research to Benefit Underserved Populations - (Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) US) - 31-MAR-2014 A new brief looks at PCORI's work to assist underserved communities.
- Population Health Implications of the Affordable Care Act: Workshop Summary (2014) - (Institute of Medicine (IOM)) - 21-MAR-2014 The results of a workshop held in June 2013 are issued in this summary document.
- ACE Measure™ - (Altarum Institute US) - 19-MAR-2014 This 21 question survey is designed to measure the health engagement levels of individuals and populations.
- Rural/Urban Differences in Inpatient Related Costs and Use among Medicare Beneficiaries - (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC)) - 18-MAR-2014 Revised in March of 2014, this issue brief examines rural-urban differences in inpatient costs and use among Medicare beneficiaries.
- D.C. Briefing on The Supreme Court and Contraceptive Coverage: Legal and Policy Implications - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 14-MAR-2014 Video of the policy briefing, held on March 11, 2014 (two weeks before the March 25 Supreme Court hearing) is available.
- Personal Data for the Public Good: New Opportunities to Enrich Understanding of Individual and Population Health - (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)) - 14-MAR-2014 This report discusses the use of "self-tracking data" as another means of getting reliable measures of everyday behavior, as well as fill in the gaps of more traditional health data.
- Why Bother! The Comprehensive Pre-Op Panel - (New York Academy of Medicine) - 14-MAR-2014 Registration is open for this meeting, being held April 30, 2014 from 6:00- 8:00 PM in New York City. The appropriate use of pre-operative testing, as per national guidelines will be the focus of the event.
- Reducing Health Care Disparities: Where Are We Now? - (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)) - 12-MAR-2014 This paper examines the evolution of health care disparities, and looks forward towards emerging perspectives, progress, and needs.
- ACOG Committee Opinion: Health Disparities in Rural Women - 12-MAR-2014 ACOG discusses the poorer health outcomes and limited access to health care that face rural women.
- Profiles of Medicaid Outreach and Enrollment Strategies: Using Text Messaging to Reach and Enroll Uninsured Individuals into Medicaid and CHIP - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 12-MAR-2014 A new Issue Brief examines the use of Text4Baby, an initiative to connect eligible pregnant women and their families with health insurance.
- Integrating Electronic Health Records into Clinical Workflow: An Application of Human Factors Modeling Methods to Ambulatory Care - (National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) US) - 11-MAR-2014 This report documents end-user needs to improve EHR workflow for clinicians in outpatient care settings.
- Assessment of a Method To Detect Signals for Updating Systematic Reviews - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - 11-MAR-2014 This White Paper discusses a surveillance system that was created to determine when systematic review require updating.
- Request for Information (RFI): AHRQ Solicits Input on Metrics Currently in Use and Available for Research - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - 10-MAR-2014 AHRQ is soliciting recent information about system performance metrics that are currently used by delivery systems and payers and that might prove useful, for the development of research and funding.
- The Uninsured: An Analysis by Age, Income, and Geography - (University of Iowa College of Public Health USA) - 06-MAR-2014 A comparison of uninsured status of the rural population vs. the urban population is presented in this statistical brief.
- Systematic Reviews of Complex Multicomponent Health Care Interventions - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - 04-MAR-2014 A new white paper looks at the challenges of conducting systematic reviews of complex multicomponent health care interventions.
- Adding an Out-of-Pocket Spending Maximum to Medicare: Implementation Issues and Challenges - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 03-MAR-2014 This issue brief examines a proposal that would set a maximum on Medicare out-of-pocket payments.
- AHRQ Announces Interest in Research on Health Insurance Coverage, Access and Affordability - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - 28-FEB-2014 AHRQ encourages grant applications that propose research on the topics of health insurance coverage, access to care and health care costs
- AHRQ Announces Interest in Research on Healthcare Delivery System Affordability, Efficiency, and Quality - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - 28-FEB-2014 This notice is part of AHRQ's mission of increasing the affordability, efficiency and quality of health care
- Overlapping Eligibility and Enrollment: Human Services and Health Programs Under the Affordable Care Act - (Urban Institute (UI)) - 28-FEB-2014 This report examines the overlaps between expanded eligibility for health coverage and current receipt of human services benefits.
- Kaiser Permanente and UCSF Add Substantial Genetic, Health Information to NIH Online Database - 27-FEB-2014 The Genetic Epidemiology Research on Adult Health and Aging (GERA) cohort has donated data on 78,000 people to the database of Genotypes and Phenotypes of the National Institutes of Health.
- Quality Data Added to Physician Compare Website - (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)) - 25-FEB-2014 Quality measures have been added to Physician Compare. Currently included are specific measures related to diabetes and heart disease.
- Reducing Inappropriate Emergency Department and Avoidable Hospitalization Rates: Assessing the Influence of Medical Group Practice Characteristics - (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)) - 21-FEB-2014 This Findings Brief looks at practice size as an impact factor in ED admissions.
- Data Service Infrastructure for the Social Sciences and Humanities - 21-FEB-2014 This report presents an international perspective to the ethical and legal aspects of research. It looks as well at the General Data Protection Regulation.
- Proposed Revisions to the Common Rule for the Protection of Human Subjects in the Behavioral and Social Sciences - (National Academies Press (NAP)) - 21-FEB-2014 This consensus report is the result of workshop and prior reports. It would expand IRB responsibilities in its consideration of ethical conduct towards human subject research.
- The Uninsured at the Starting Line in California: California findings from the 2013 Kaiser Survey of Low-Income Americans and the ACA - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 20-FEB-2014 This report on California is part of a series of surveys that will provide data on these groups' experience with health coverage, current patterns of care, and family finances in various states.
- Meaningful Use of the Electronic Health Record by Rural Health Clinics - (Maine Rural Health Research Center USA) - 20-FEB-2014 A new Working Paper examines the proliferation of EHRs within rural health clinics.
- Legislation Introduced to Prevent Overregulation of Health IT - 14-FEB-2014 A new bill currently being discussed in the Senate, "Preventing Regulatory Overreach To Enhance Care Technology (PROTECT) Act of 2014" attempts to provide a regulatory framework for health IT innovation, and balances protecting patient safety.