National Information Center on Health Services Research and Health Care Technology (NICHSR)
Serving the Information Needs of the Health Services Research Community
HSR General Resources
- Data, Tools and Statistics
- HSR Social Media Resources
- Education and Training
- Grants, Funding and Fellowships
- Guidelines, Journals Other Publications
- Key Organizations
- Meetings and Conferences
- State and State/Local Resources
- Aging Population Issues
- Community Benefit / Community Health Needs Assessment
- Comparative Effectiveness Research (CER)
- Child Health Services Research
- Evaluation Resources for Assessing HIT Systems and HIT Implementation, Adoption and Use
- Dissemination and Implementation Science
- Evidence-Based Practice and Health Technology Assessment
- Health Care Reform, Health Economics, and Health Policy
- Health Disparities
- Health Informatics
- Health Literacy and Cultural Competence
- Privacy/Security and Research with Electronic Health Records
- Public Health Services and Systems Research
- Rural Health
News about Health Services Research
News items 4 weeks and older are available on the News Archive Web page.
- Comparative Effectiveness Research: HHS Needs to Strengthen Dissemination and Data-Capacity-Building Efforts - (Government Accountability Office (GAO) US) - 04-MAR-2015 GAO presents the results of their investigation into AHRQ's abilities to disseminate federally-funded comparative effectiveness research.
- Now What? Implications Of Current Political And Fiscal Environment On PHSSR - (National Coordinating Center for Public Health Services and Systems Research) - 04-MAR-2015
- Event Information: A National Webinar on Patient-Centered Outcomes Research (PCOR) and the Use of Decision Aids to Facilitate Shared Decision Making - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - 04-MAR-2015 Registration is required for this webinar, being held Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 3:30 pm (ET).
- AHRQ Establishes Plan for Public Access to Federally Funded Research - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - 04-MAR-2015 AHRQ has established a policy for public access to scientific publications and scientific data in digital format resulting from AHRQ funding. The policy will require that authors of scholarly publications submit their final peer-reviewed accepted journal manuscripts to PubMed Central (PMC).
- How Will the Affordable Care Act Affect the Use of Health Care Services? - (Commonwealth Fund) - 03-MAR-2015 A new issue brief provides state estimates for the increased demand for physician and hospital services that is expected to result from the ACA.
- The Role and Potential of Communities in Population Health Improvement: Workshop Summary (2014) - (Institute of Medicine (IOM)) - 03-MAR-2015 The results of a workshop held in April 2014, to discuss the role that community groups can play in improving the health of the community.
- Congressional Testimony on SNAP Household Characteristics - (Mathematica Policy Research, Inc.) - 03-MAR-2015 Testimony from a MPR Institute expert on SNAP recipient characteristics and participation patterns.
- National Impact Assessment of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Quality Measures Reports Has Been Released - (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)) - 03-MAR-2015 The 2015 report examines 25 CMS programs and nearly 700 quality measures from 2006 to 2013.
- The Coverage Provisions in the Affordable Care Act: An Update - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 03-MAR-2015 This March, 2015 issue brief examines how various provisions of the Affordable Care Act have been implemented, and the impacts of this implementation.
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Receipt for Households: 2000-2013: American Community Survey Briefs (2015) - (U.S. Census Bureau) - 03-MAR-2015 This report presents data from 2000 to 2013 on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) receipts. Data is available on a national and state level.
- HHS Public Access Plan - (Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) U.S.) - 27-FEB-2015 The public access implementation plans of NIH, FDA, CDC, AHRQ, and ASPR are outlined.
- Measuring Progress Towards a Population Health Perspective: A Framework for a New Type of Population Health Scorecard (2015) - (New York Academy of Medicine) - 27-FEB-2015 A new issue brief proposes a framework to assess progress toward the effective promotion of population health in a state or other geographic region.
- Are Premium Subsidies Available in States with a Federally-run Marketplace? A Guide to the Supreme Court Argument in King v. Burwell - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 26-FEB-2015 A new issue brief looks at the Supreme Court case King v. Burwell, which centers on the availability of premium subsidies in states which have opted to have their health insurance marketplace run by the federal government.
- New Studies Seek to Transform the Delivery of Prevention and Public Health Strategies by Examining Cost, Quality, and Value - 25-FEB-2015 Nine new studies being funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, that will support research to improve the quality, efficiency, and value of public health systems and service have been announced.
- 2015 Comparative Effectiveness Research and the Environment for Health Care Decision-Making - (National Pharmaceutical Council (NPC) US) - 25-FEB-2015 This webinar will be held on Thursday March 26, 2015 from 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM EDT
- State Actions to Address Health Insurance Exchange - (National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL)) - 23-FEB-2015 An outline of the important dates for the Health Insurances Exchanges in 2015.
- Request for Information (RFI): Soliciting Input into the Deliberations of the Advisory Committee to the NIH Director (ACD) Working Group on the National Library of Medicine (NLM) - 18-FEB-2015 You have a unique opportunity to affect the future of the National Library of Medicine (NLM). Dr. Francis Collins, Director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), has convened a "Working Group to Chart the Course for the NIH National Library of Medicine." The working group has developed a Request for Information to collect input from stakeholders and members of the public regarding the current value of and future need for NLM programs, resources, research and training efforts, and services. Please consider responding by March 13th, 2015.
- An Overview of Actions Taken by State Lawmakers Regarding the Medicaid Expansion - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 18-FEB-2015 Graphics illustrate the state's expansion of Medicaid benefits in this new fact sheet.
- Are Uninsured Adults Who Could Gain Medicaid Coverage Working? - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 18-FEB-2015 A new KFF fact sheet provides statistical data on the uninsured adults who could gain Medicaid coverage under the ACA.
- The ACA and Medicaid Expansion Waivers - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 18-FEB-2015 A new issue brief looks at the Section 1115 waivers which have expanded Medicaid coverage.
- CHIP Remains Critical Link for U.S. Children's Health: Landmark Program Still Vital, Even with Affordable Care Act - (The Nation's Health) - 13-FEB-2015 With federal funding for the Children's Health Insurance Program set to expire in September, children's health advocates are calling on policymakers to take action on behalf of the millions of children at risk of losing access to affordable and comprehensive care.
- Alice Rivlin discusses the Affordable Care Act, America's health, and leading the CBO - (Brookings Institution US) - 13-FEB-2015 A new podcast features a discussion of the Affordable Care Act by Brookings Senior Fellow Alice Rivlin.
- Cost-Sharing Subsidies in Federal Marketplace Plans - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 13-FEB-2015 A new slide set compares cost sharing across standard silver plans and their variants in federally-facilitated ACA marketplaces.
- Trends in Medicaid Spending Leading up to ACA Implementation - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 13-FEB-2015 A new Issue Brief looks at Medicaid overall spending trends and trends by service type from 2007-2013.
- Risk-Based Managed Care in New Hampshire's Medicaid Program: A Qualitative Assessment of Implementation and Beneficiary Experiences in Year One - (Urban Institute (UI)) - 12-FEB-2015 This report provides an overview of managed care implementation for Medicaid acute care services, drawing upon a case study conducted in July 2014.
- Characteristics of Those Eligible for Cost-Sharing Reductions and Premium Tax Credits Under the Affordable Care Act - (Urban Institute (UI)) - 12-FEB-2015 This brief estimates the characteristics of the cost sharing reductions eligible population using the Urban Institute's Health Insurance Policy Simulation Model.
- FDA Taking Steps To Improve Analysis of Adverse-Event Data - 11-FEB-2015 A recent article discussed FDA's efforts to improve the Sentinel drug tracking system by using data mining.
- Rebalancing in Capitated Medicaid Managed Long-Term Services and Supports Programs: Key Issues from a Roundtable Discussion on Measuring Performance - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 06-FEB-2015 An issue brief looks at state efforts to rebalance the financing of Medicaid to better cover spending on home and community-based services.
- Summary of Medicare Provisions in the President's Budget for Fiscal Year 2016 - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 06-FEB-2015 A new issue brief outlines President Obama's budget for fiscal year 2016 related to Medicare.
- Using a Population Health Driver Diagram to Support Health Care and Public Health Collaboration - (Institute of Medicine (IOM)) - 04-FEB-2015 This discussion paper examines the role of the Public Health Foundation's population health driver diagram framework as a method for aligning the efforts of the public health and health care workforce to better achieve their mutual goals of improved population health.
- Bringing Community Health Workers into the Mainstream of U.S. Health Care - (Institute of Medicine (IOM)) - 04-FEB-2015 A new discussion paper advocates the use of community health workers in the primary care arena to better assist vulnerable populations.
- Adults who Remained Uninsured at the End of 2014 - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 02-FEB-2015 A new issue brief analyzes potential motivations in adults who remain uninsured, despite eligibility via the ACA.
- A Sustainable Business Model for Health Information Exchange Platforms: The Solution to Interoperability in Healthcare IT (2015) - (Brookings Institution US) - 02-FEB-2015 This paper discusses economic vs. interoperability barriers to the adoption of health information exchange (HIE) platforms.
- Connecting Health and Care for the Nation: A Shared Nationwide Interoperability Roadmap - (Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology, HHS (ONC)) - 02-FEB-2015 ONC is accepting public comment on this draft version of the Roadmap until 5 p.m. ET on April 3, 2015. An updated Roadmap which incorporates public comments will be released later in 2015.