National Information Center on Health Services Research and Health Care Technology (NICHSR)
Serving the Information Needs of the Health Services Research Community
HSR General Resources
- Data, Tools and Statistics
- HSR Social Media Resources
- Education and Training
- Grants, Funding and Fellowships
- Guidelines, Journals Other Publications
- Key Organizations
- Meetings and Conferences
- State Resources
- Aging Population Issues
- Comparative Effectiveness Research (CER)
- Child Health Services Research
- Evaluation Resources for Assessing HIT Systems and HIT Implementation, Adoption and Use
- Dissemination and Implementation Science
- Evidence-Based Practice and Health Technology Assessment
- Health Care Reform, Health Economics, and Health Policy
- Health Disparities
- Health Informatics
- Health Literacy and Cultural Competence New
- Privacy/Security and Research with Electronic Health Records
- Public Health Services and Systems Research
- Rural Health
News about Health Services Research
News items 4 weeks and older are available on the News Archive Web page.
- The Uninsured: An Analysis by Age, Income, and Geography - (University of Iowa College of Public Health USA) - 06-MAR-2014 A comparison of uninsured status of the rural population vs. the urban population is presented in this statistical brief.
- Public Health Funding Series: Finding Evidence-Based Efficiencies in the Era of Austerity - (AcademyHealth) - 06-MAR-2014 March 18, 2014, 2:00 - 2:30 PM. This first of three fireside chats, The Appropriations Process, will be an informal talk with congressional staff about how they and the elected official they represent make funding decisions amid fiscal and political constraints, where they turn for evidence, and what knowledge gaps remain.
- The Role and Potential of Communities in Population Health Improvement: A Workshop - (Institute of Medicine (IOM)) - 06-MAR-2014 Registration is open for this workshop, being held April 10, 2014 in Los Angeles CA or via webcast.
- Systematic Reviews of Complex Multicomponent Health Care Interventions - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - 04-MAR-2014 A new white paper looks at the challenges of conducting systematic reviews of complex multicomponent health care interventions.
- Making the Business Case for Payment and Delivery Reform - (AcademyHealth) - 03-MAR-2014 This free webinar will be held on Friday, March 28, 2014, 1:00-2:30 p.m. EDT. It supports the recently released issue brief.
- Patient Safety Awareness Week, 2014 - (National Patient Safety Foundation (NPSF) US) - 03-MAR-2014 The theme of this year's event is "Navigate Your Health…Safely". Webinars and videos are available to help educate clinicians, health systems, and patients and consumers on patient safety issues.
- Adding an Out-of-Pocket Spending Maximum to Medicare: Implementation Issues and Challenges - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 03-MAR-2014 This issue brief examines a proposal that would set a maximum on Medicare out-of-pocket payments.
- AHRQ Announces Interest in Research on Health Insurance Coverage, Access and Affordability - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - 28-FEB-2014 AHRQ encourages grant applications that propose research on the topics of health insurance coverage, access to care and health care costs
- AHRQ Announces Interest in Research on Healthcare Delivery System Affordability, Efficiency, and Quality - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - 28-FEB-2014 This notice is part of AHRQ's mission of increasing the affordability, efficiency and quality of health care
- The 11th International Conference on Urban Health - (International Society for Urban Health) - 28-FEB-2014 The annual meeting will be held in Manchester (UK) from March 4-7, 2014.
- Overlapping Eligibility and Enrollment: Human Services and Health Programs Under the Affordable Care Act - (Urban Institute (UI)) - 28-FEB-2014 This report examines the overlaps between expanded eligibility for health coverage and current receipt of human services benefits.
- Kaiser Permanente and UCSF Add Substantial Genetic, Health Information to NIH Online Database - 27-FEB-2014 The Genetic Epidemiology Research on Adult Health and Aging (GERA) cohort has donated data on 78,000 people to the database of Genotypes and Phenotypes of the National Institutes of Health.
- Quality Data Added to Physician Compare Website - (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)) - 25-FEB-2014 Quality measures have been added to Physician Compare. Currently included are specific measures related to diabetes and heart disease.
- Reducing Inappropriate Emergency Department and Avoidable Hospitalization Rates: Assessing the Influence of Medical Group Practice Characteristics - (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)) - 21-FEB-2014 This Findings Brief looks at practice size as an impact factor in ED admissions.
- PCORI Patient and Family Engagement Rubric Town Hall - (Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) US) - 21-FEB-2014 This webinar will be held on March 13, 2014 from 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. (ET).
- Data Service Infrastructure for the Social Sciences and Humanities - 21-FEB-2014 This report presents an international perspective to the ethical and legal aspects of research. It looks as well at the General Data Protection Regulation.
- Proposed Revisions to the Common Rule for the Protection of Human Subjects in the Behavioral and Social Sciences - (National Academies Press (NAP)) - 21-FEB-2014 This consensus report is the result of workshop and prior reports. It would expand IRB responsibilities in its consideration of ethical conduct towards human subject research.
- The Uninsured at the Starting Line in California: California findings from the 2013 Kaiser Survey of Low-Income Americans and the ACA - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 20-FEB-2014 This report on California is part of a series of surveys that will provide data on these groups' experience with health coverage, current patterns of care, and family finances in various states.
- Meaningful Use of the Electronic Health Record by Rural Health Clinics - (Maine Rural Health Research Center USA) - 20-FEB-2014 A new Working Paper examines the proliferation of EHRs within rural health clinics.
- Legislation Introduced to Prevent Overregulation of Health IT - 14-FEB-2014 A new bill currently being discussed in the Senate, "Preventing Regulatory Overreach To Enhance Care Technology (PROTECT) Act of 2014" attempts to provide a regulatory framework for health IT innovation, and balances protecting patient safety.
- Medicaid Per Enrollee Spending: Variation Across States - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 07-FEB-2014 This brief looks at the differences in Medicaid reimbursement in various states and over time. It provides relevant data for program policy and financing.
- Private Health Insurance: The Range of Base Premiums for Individuals Age 19 and 64 in the Individual Market by State in January 2013 - (Government Accountability Office (GAO) US) - 07-FEB-2014 The report looked at data between November 2013 to January 2014 in order to determine range of base premiums as of January 2013 in all 50 states.
- Mayors' Resource Guide on Behavioral Health Issues - (Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)) - 07-FEB-2014 With the costs of behavioral health disorders factoring into cities' economies, this guide attempts to assist mayors with the programs that can impacts health promotion, illness prevention, and early treatment intervention.