National Information Center on Health Services Research and Health Care Technology (NICHSR)
Serving the Information Needs of the Health Services Research Community
HSR General Resources
- Data, Tools and Statistics
- HSR Social Media Resources
- Education and Training
- Grants, Funding and Fellowships
- Guidelines, Journals Other Publications
- Key Organizations
- Meetings and Conferences
- State and State/Local Resources
- Aging Population Issues
- Community Benefit / Community Health Needs Assessment
- Comparative Effectiveness Research (CER)
- Child Health Services Research
- Evaluation Resources for Assessing HIT Systems and HIT Implementation, Adoption and Use
- Dissemination and Implementation Science
- Evidence-Based Practice and Health Technology Assessment
- Health Care Reform, Health Economics, and Health Policy
- Health Disparities
- Health Informatics
- Health Literacy and Cultural Competence
- Privacy/Security and Research with Electronic Health Records
- Public Health Services and Systems Research
- Rural Health
News about Health Services Research
News items 4 weeks and older are available on the News Archive Web page.
- Building Bridges between Transportation and Health - (American Public Health Association (APHA)) - 28-MAY-2015 June 3, 2015, 2:00-3:00 EDT. This webinar will discuss the connection between transportation and health and give insight into the specific process one community used to fund programs and how the programs are implemented from start to finish.
- A Comparison of Closed Rural Hospitals and Perceived Impact (2015) - (Cecil G. Sheps Center for Health Services Research) - 28-MAY-2015 A new findings brief compares the characteristics of abandoned rural hospitals and their markets to those of converted rural hospitals.
- A Disruptive Health Services MashUp - Moving Research into Policy\ - (AcademyHealth) - 27-MAY-2015 This breakfast meeting will take place on Tuesday, June 2nd 8:00-8:45 am in Washington DC.
- Applying a Health Lens II: The Role and Potential of the Private Sector to Improve Economic Well-Being and Community Outcomes - (Institute of Medicine (IOM)) - 27-MAY-2015 This live seminar and webinar will be held on June 4, 2015. It will explore the role of the private sector in improving economic well-being and community outcomes.
- Innovation in Health Care Leadership: A New Health Care Marketplace - (New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) US) - 27-MAY-2015 Registration is open for this free webinar, being held June 4, 2015 from 1-5pm CT
- Teaching Population Health: Innovative Medical School Curricula for Environmental Health - (Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)) - 27-MAY-2015 Registration is open for this webinar, being held June 2, 2015 from 1 - 2:30 p.m. ET
- America's Health Rankings 2015 Senior Report: Successes and Challenges in Senior Health - 26-MAY-2015 United Health Foundation's America's Heath Rankings Senior Report offers a comprehensive picture of senior health across the nation, highlighting areas where seniors have made strides, while also shedding light on key challenges that remain.
- White House Conference on Aging Boston, MA Regional Forum - (White House Conference on Aging USA) - 26-MAY-2015 The fifth and final regional forum will be held on Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 8:30 AM (ET). The event will be streamed live.
- Maximizing the Return on Your Value-Based Mission - (FierceMarkets US) - 26-MAY-2015 This free one-hour webinar, featuring Dr. Bruce Vladeck, will be held on Thursday, June 4th at 11am ET.
- Best Practices in Program Evaluation and Learning - 26-MAY-2015 This webinar, hosted by the Federal Reserve System, will be held from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM on May 28, 2015. It looks at potential solutions to the evaluation of program impacts, in order to successfully adapt them to local communities.
- Medicaid Financing: How Does it Work and What are the Implications? - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 21-MAY-2015 A new issue brief looks at the ways in which Medicaid is financed.
- The Role of Metrics That Matter for Population Health Action - (Institute of Medicine (IOM)) - 21-MAY-2015 This workshop will be held on July 30, 2015 in Oakland CA and via webcast. Registration is required.
- The Problem of Underinsurance and How Rising Deductibles Will Make It Worse - (Commonwealth Fund) - 21-MAY-2015 This issue brief and chartpacks outline the rates of underinsurance among 19-to-64-year-old adults. These individuals were insured, but high healthcare costs that were not covered.
- Being Low-Income and Uninsured in Missouri: Coverage Challenges during Year One of ACA Implementation - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 21-MAY-2015 This brief examines Medicaid coverage in Missouri, a state which opted to not expand coverage under the Affordable Care Act.
- National Healthcare Quality and Disparities Report: Chartbook on Person- and Family-Centered Care - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - 21-MAY-2015 A section of the National Healthcare Quality and Disparities Report, this chartbook provides trends across measures of person-centered care.
- Teaching Population Health: Innovative Medical School Curricula on Environmental Health, Tuesday, June 2, 2015 1:00 pm, EDT - (Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)) - 18-MAY-2015 To promote increased public health awareness and encourage inclusion of public health perspectives within medical education. This webinar will highlight the importance of teaching tomorrow's doctors the ways in which the environment affects health and behavior.
- 50 Years of Medicare: How did we get here? - (Commonwealth Fund) - 15-MAY-2015 Medicare's half-century anniversary is marked with this history of the program.
- Mobile Health and Patient Engagement in the Safety Net: A Survey of Community Health Centers and Clinics - (Commonwealth Fund) - 14-MAY-2015 A new issue brief and chartpacks examines the use of cell phones and text messages as a means of better engaging patients in the maintenance of their chronic conditions.
- Reading the Stars: Nursing Home Quality Star Ratings, Nationally and by State - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 14-MAY-2015 This issue brief looks at nursing home ratings from Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Nursing Home Compare. It found that 1/3 of the nursing homes listed received low ratings.
- Congressional Briefing: Children's Hospitals: Looking Beyond the Walls of the Clinic to Keep Children Healthy - 13-MAY-2015 RSVP for this event, being held Tuesday, June 9th, 2015 in the Capitol Visitor Center in Washington DC from 11:00am-12:00pm.
- Early Insights from One Care: Massachusetts' Demonstration to Integrate Care and Align Financing for Dual Eligible Beneficiaries - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 13-MAY-2015 This issue brief describes the results of Massachusetts initiative to integrate care for beneficiaries who are dually eligible for Medicare and Medicaid.
- Business Engagement in Building Healthy Communities: Workshop Summary (2015) - (Institute of Medicine (IOM)) - 12-MAY-2015 The results of a July 2014 workshop, this report looks at business' role in improving population health.
- Medicaid Benefit Designs for Newly Eligible Adults: State Approaches A Realizing Health Reform's Potential - (Commonwealth Fund) - 12-MAY-2015 This brief analyzes states' Medicaid benefits in comparison to those required by the Federal government, finding that states have chosen to offer more generous coverage than was required.
- Medicaid Primary Care Parity - (Health Affairs) - 12-MAY-2015 This brief looks at the Medicaid primary care fee bump, and the states' decisions on whether to implement it.
- Hispanics' Health in the United States - 12-MAY-2015 The first national study on Hispanic health risks and leading causes of death in the United States by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) showed that similar to non-Hispanic whites (whites), the two leading causes of death in Hispanics are heart disease and cancer.
- National Center for Health Statistics Releases Health, United States, 2014 - 12-MAY-2015 The National Center for Health Statistics announces the release of Health, United States, 2014. Health, United States is the annual report on the health status of the nation, compiled by the National Center for Health Statistics and submitted by the Secretary of Health and Human Services to the President and Congress.
- Intimate Partner Violence in Rural America - 12-MAY-2015 This brief presents the results of a September 2014 meeting of the National Advisory Committee on Rural Health and Human Service on the impact of Intimate Partner Violence on families and communities in rural areas.
- Elder Justice Policy Brief - (White House Conference on Aging USA) - 08-MAY-2015 A new policy brief outlines the government's response to elder abuse, and the actions being taken on the federal, state, local, and tribal levels to respond.
- What Drives Nutritional Disparities? Retail Access and Food Purchases Across the Socioeconomic Spectrum - (National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) USA) - 08-MAY-2015 This study looks at economic and educational status as drivers of nutritional status. Given the same buying options, poorer shoppers tend to purchase less healthy foods, and access to healthy foods cannot be the only target of health policy.
- Overcoming Barriers to Data Sharing in Public Health; A Global Perspective - 07-MAY-2015 Centre on Global Health Security examines barriers to public health data sharing and the international ramifications.
- How Are Hospitals Faring Under the Affordable Care Act? Early Experiences from Ascension Health - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 06-MAY-2015 This report looks at the experiences with of the nation's largest not-for-profit health system, which includes 131 acute-care hospitals and more than 30 senior care facilities in 23 states and the District of Columbia. It provides a comparison in states that expanded Medicaid with those that did not.
- Medicaid at 50 - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 06-MAY-2015 The history of Medicaid is examined in this report.
- Health Insurance Marketplaces: Early Findings on Changes in Plan Availability and Premiums in Rural Places, 2014-2015 (2015) - 06-MAY-2015 This issue brief examines Health Insurance Marketplaces in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, concentrating on health insurance plans offered and premiums charge, with a focus on differences between those that exist in rural and urban areas.
- Findings from a Survey of Health Care Delivery Innovation Centers - (Commonwealth Fund) - 06-MAY-2015 This chartpack examines the partnerships forged and the technologies utilized to promote health system transformation.
- Community Health Maps Survey - (National Library of Medicine, Specialized Information Services Division) - 05-MAY-2015 Survey to improve Community Health Maps (CHM) and tailor it the specific requirements of its users. The CHM project (http://communityhealthmaps.nlm.nih.gov) identifies and promotes tools that seek to meet the mapping needs of communities and community organizations such as clinics, schools, libraries, health departments, faith-based and community-based groups. These tools can be used to collect and visualize health statistics and local resources, to compare data across locations, and to explore trends.
- Babies Born Just Miles Apart in Cities Across the U.S. Face Large Gaps in Life Expectancy - 05-MAY-2015 A growing body of research shows that a complex web of factors influence health-opportunities for education and jobs, safe and affordable housing, availability of nutritious food and places for physical activity, clean air, and access to health care, child care, and social services.
- Beneficiaries with Medigap Coverage - (America's Health Insurance Plans (AHIP)) - 05-MAY-2015 The 2012 Medicare Current Beneficiary Survey provides data on the number of people who had had Medigap coverage that year.
- Recent Evidence that Health IT Improves Patient Safety (2015) - (RTI International) - 04-MAY-2015 This issue brief prepared for the Office of the National Coordinator discusses the results of four systematic reviews on health information technology.
- Press Release: Institute of Medicine to Become National Academy of Medicine - 28-APR-2015 IOM announced their name change, which takes effect July 1, 2015.