National Information Center on Health Services Research and Health Care Technology (NICHSR)
Serving the Information Needs of the Health Services Research Community
- Aging Population Issues
- Child Health Services Research
- Community Benefit / Community Health Needs Assessment
- Comparative Effectiveness Research (CER)
- Dissemination and Implementation Science
- Domestic Violence -- New
- Evaluation Resources for Assessing HIT Systems and HIT Implementation, Adoption and Use
- Evidence-Based Practice and Health Technology Assessment
- Health Care Reform, Health Economics, and Health Policy
- Health Disparities
- Health Informatics
- Health Literacy and Cultural Competence
- Privacy/Security and Research with Electronic Health Records
- Public Health Services and Systems Research
- Rural Health
HSR General Resources
News about Health Services Research
News items 4 weeks and older are available on the News Archive Web page.
- For Third Enrollment Period, Marketplaces Expand Decision Support Tools to Assist Consumers - (Penn State) - 20-MAY-2016 The Leonard Davis Institute looks at what health consumers see when "window shopping" vs. "actual shopping" for health marketplace plans in 13 state-based marketplaces and on HealthCare.gov.
- Detecting Potential Overbilling in Medicare Reimbursement via Hours Worked - (Penn State) - 20-MAY-2016 A new brief from the Leonard Davis Institute examines the means available to detect the 3% of physicians who overbill for Medicare services.
- Achieving Health Equity: How Academic Medicine is Addressing the Social Determinants of Health - (Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)) - 20-MAY-2016 This compilation of articles presents strategies that have been created by medical schools and teaching hospitals to narrow inequities that affect communities and their health.
- Paying for Value: Progress and Obstacles - (AcademyHealth) - 20-MAY-2016 This brief is the result of a meeting on December 8, 2015, which looked at using provider payment as a means of improving clinical quality, patients' experience of care, and the efficient use of resources.
- MACRA: Digging Deeper into the MIPS Performance Categories - (Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society) - 20-MAY-2016 This article focuses on key provisions of the proposed Merit Based Incentive Payment System program, which sunset's payment adjustments under the current Physician Quality Reporting System, the Value Based Payment Modifier, and the Medicare EHR Incentive Program.
- Health Literacy and Palliative Care: Workshop Summary (2016) - (National Academy of Medicine (NAM)) - 20-MAY-2016 The results of a July 9, 2015 one-day workshop, this publication looks at the barrier low health literacy causes in providing quality palliative care.
- Implementation Oversight for Evidence Based Programs: A Policymaker's Guide to Effective Program Delivery - (Pew Charitable Trusts USA) - 19-MAY-2016 In this brief, examines the delivery of proven programs to practice, and finds that most are not being properly implemented.
- Medication-Assisted Treatment Models of Care for Opioid Use Disorder in Primary Care Settings - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - 19-MAY-2016 This technical brief is open for comment until 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Jun. 9, 2016.
- Call for Papers: Advancing High-Quality Value Assessment of Health Care Interventions. - (American Society of Health Economists (ASHEcon) U.S.A., International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR) US) - 19-MAY-2016 This call for papers will result in a themed issue of Value in Health aimed at the Initiative on Value Assessment Frameworks. Abstracts are due no later than 11:59pm on June 1, 2016.
- Health Coverage Rates For Lower Income Children Improving - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 17-MAY-2016 A recent study found that the number of lower income kids getting health coverage continues to improve.
- Fix For VA Health Snarls Veterans And Doctors In New Bureaucracy - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 17-MAY-2016 Veterans are still waiting to see a doctor.
- Doctors use Bitcoin tech to improve transparency in clinical trial research - 12-MAY-2016 Using Bitcoin technology, a new method which would prevent clinical trial documents from being altered has been developed.
- On Medicare But At Risk: A State-Level Analysis of Beneficiaries Who Are Underinsured or Facing High Total Cost Burdens - (Commonwealth Fund) - 12-MAY-2016 An issue brief and chartpack looks at Medicare within the context of beneficiaries who are underinsured, and bearing a high cost in out-of-pocket expenses.
- Medicare Advantage 2016 Spotlight: Enrollment Market Update - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 12-MAY-2016 A new data spotlight examines national and state-level Medicare Advantage enrollment trends as of March 2016.
- Changes in Consumer Cost-Sharing for Health Plans Sold in the ACA's Insurance Marketplaces, 2015 to 2016 - (Commonwealth Fund) - 12-MAY-2016 A new issue brief and chartpack discusses consumer deductibles, copayments, coinsurance, and out-of-pocket limits-for coverage for plans offered in the Affordable Care Act's marketplaces between 2015 and 2016.
- Electronic Health Records as a Resource for Public Health Surveillance - (Public Health Institute) - 10-MAY-2016 A new study looks at the EHR as a mechanism for chronic disease surveillance.
- Envisioning the Future of Health Professional Education: Workshop Summary (2016) - (National Academy of Medicine (NAM)) - 10-MAY-2016 Based on an April 2015 workshop, this report future directions for health professional education and workforce learning.
- Are better health outcomes related to social expenditure? : A cross-national empirical analysis of social expenditure and population health measures - (RAND Corporation USA) - 10-MAY-2016 Using longitudinal cross-national data sets on social spending, health outcomes and wider societal factors, this report looks at the ratio of social to health spending in relation to health outcomes.
- Yale School of Medicine Launches Cloud-Based Personal Health Data Platform - 10-MAY-2016 Yale has announced the development of Hugo, which will enable patients to access their electronic health records (EHRs) and synchronize their health data with a research database.
- What Are the Current Costs and Outcomes Related to Mental Health and Substance Abuse Disorders? - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 09-MAY-2016 A new slideshow demonstrates the prevalence, outcomes, access to care, and costs of mental health disorders and substance abuse in the United States.
- Private Health Insurance Exchanges: Early Evidence and Implications for the Future - (RAND Corporation USA) - 09-MAY-2016 In a new report, the workings of private health insurance exchanges, and the affect on employers and employees are discussed, as are implications for the ACA.
- 2015 National Healthcare Quality and Disparities Report and 5th Anniversary Update on the National Quality Strategy - (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)) - 09-MAY-2016 This year's National Healthcare Quality and Disparities Report and National Quality Strategy Update is a joint effort addressing the progress made against the National Quality Strategy (NQS) priorities at the 5-year anniversary of the Strategy.
- ONC NSTIC Pilot Webinar Series - 06-MAY-2016 Two webinars to discuss a current grant opportunity being offered to solutions in the area of the transmission of health information online across separate organization will be held on Wed, May 18, 2016 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT and Thu, May 26, 2016 3:00 PM - 4:30 PM EDT
- Minding the Gaps: Measuring Quality Based on Episodes of Care - (RAND Corporation USA) - 06-MAY-2016 A new study examines the ways in which to create episode-based care (management of a condition through diagnosis, treatment, and subsequent follow-up) measurements.
- The ACA and People with HIV: An Update - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 06-MAY-2016 A new issue brief outlines the key ways in which the ACA is impacting people with HIV.
- Healthiest Cities and Counties Challenge, call for proposals - (Aetna Foundation, American Public Health Association (APHA), National Association of Counties (NACo)) - 05-MAY-2016 Application due by May 31, 2016. More than $1.5 million in prizes will be awarded to cities, counties and federally recognized tribes most able to show measurable changes in health and wellness over the next several years.
- ACA Coverage and the Changing Labor Market: Voices from the Field - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 05-MAY-2016 This issue brief presents an analysis of focus group results with low and moderate income adults who received health insurance coverage following the implementation of the ACA.
- Physician payment in Medicare is changing: Three highlights in the MACRA proposed rule that providers need to know - (Brookings Institution US) - 05-MAY-2016 This analysis examines changes to physician payment models in the new MACRA rule.
- Fading Fast: Fewer Seniors Have Retiree Health Insurance - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 05-MAY-2016 This data brief provides statistical data drawn from five large national surveys to determine the number of seniors who no longer have employer- and union-sponsored retiree health benefits.
- What to Look for in 2017 ACA Marketplace Premium Changes - (Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) US) - 05-MAY-2016 In a new brief, KFF discusses the key factors that will influence the rate changes that insurers are requesting for the ACA.
- Principles and Obstacles for Sharing Data from Environmental Health Research: Workshop Summary (2016) - (National Academy of Medicine (NAM)) - 05-MAY-2016 Based on a March 19, 2014 workshop, this summary examines the issues surrounding data sharing from environmental health research.
- Medicare Program: Merit-Based Incentive Payment System and Alternative Payment Model Incentive under the Physician Fee Schedule, and Criteria for Physician-Focused Payment Models - 02-MAY-2016 The proposed rule is scheduled to be published on May 9, 2016.
- Health IT Policy and Standards Committees Discuss Task Force Recommendations and Privacy Updates - (Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society) - 25-APR-2016 At its April 19, 2016 meeting, the Health IT Policy Committee and Standards Committee, Federal Advisory Committees to the Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT were presented with draft recommendations by the API Task Force.
- CMS Releases IPPS Proposed Rule - 25-APR-2016 CMS recently released a proposed rule to update fiscal year 2017 Medicare payment policies and rates under the Inpatient Prospective Payment System and the Long-Term Care Hospital Prospective Payment System.
- Review of MEDICARE Contractor Information Security Program Evaluations for Fiscal Year 2014 Inquiries (2016) - (Office of Inspector General, HHS (OIG) US) - 25-APR-2016 The annual report on information security programs of the Medicare system is available.