Clostridium Difficile InfectionsAlso called: C. diff. infections, Clostridium enterocolitis, pseudomembranous colitis
Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) is a bacterium that causes diarrhea and more serious intestinal conditions such as colitis. Symptoms include
- Watery diarrhea (at least three bowel movements per day for two or more days)
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain or tenderness
You might get C. difficile disease if you have an illness that requires prolonged use of antibiotics. Increasingly, the disease can also be spread in the hospital. The elderly are also at risk. Treatment is with antibiotics.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- C. difficile Infection (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Clostridium difficile Infection (American Academy of Family Physicians) Available in Spanish
- FAQs about Clostridium Difficile (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) - PDF Available in Spanish
- Treating and Preventing C-diff Infections: A Review of the Research for Adults and Their Caregivers (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality) Available in Spanish
- Frozen as Good as Fresh for Fecal Transplant (01/12/2016, HealthDay)
- Post-Op Bacterial Infection Raises Odds for Complications, Death (11/25/2015, HealthDay)
Diagnosis and Tests
- Clostridium difficile and C. difficile Toxin Testing (American Association for Clinical Chemistry)
- Antibiotic-Associated Diarrhea (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Information about the Current Strain of Clostridium difficile (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Pseudomembranous colitis (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Clostridium difficile Infections (National Institutes of Health)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Enterocolitis, Pseudomembranous (National Institutes of Health)
Journal ArticlesReferences and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Frozen vs Fresh Fecal Microbiota Transplantation and Clinical Resolution of...
- Article: The impact of PCR on Clostridium difficile detection and clinical...
- Article: Impact of Clostridium difficile infection among pneumonia and urinary tract...
- Clostridium Difficile Infections -- see more articles
Find an Expert
- Special Concerns for Seniors: Clostridium difficile (Alliance for the Prudent Use of Antibiotics)