A hysterectomy is surgery to remove a woman's uterus or womb. The uterus is the place where a baby grows when a woman is pregnant. After a hysterectomy, you no longer have menstrual periods and can't become pregnant. Sometimes the surgery also removes the ovaries and fallopian tubes. If you have both ovaries taken out, you will enter menopause.
Your health care provider might recommend a hysterectomy if you have
- Endometriosis that hasn't been cured by medicine or surgery
- Uterine prolapse - when the uterus drops into the vagina
- Cancer of the uterine, cervix, or ovaries
- Vaginal bleeding that persists despite treatment
- Chronic pelvic pain, as a last resort
Dept. of Health and Human Services Office on Women's Health
- Hysterectomy At Younger Age Tied to Heart Disease Risks (08/05/2015, HealthDay)
- Ovarian Cancer: Still Possible After Hysterectomy? (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Pap Smear: Still Necessary After Hysterectomy? (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Expanding Patient Options: Minilaparotomy for Hysterectomy (OR-Live) - Highland Park Hospital, Highland Park, IL, and Diablo Woman Medical Group, Concord, CA, 5/26/2010
- Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy (OR-Live) - Shawnee Mission Medical Center, Shawnee Mission, KS, 10/18/2007
- Robot-Assisted Gynecologic Oncology Surgery (OR-Live) - Halifax Health Medical Center, Daytona Beach, FL, 4/24/2008
- Robot-Assisted Gynecologic Surgery (OR-Live) - Halifax Health Medical Center, Daytona Beach, FL, 9/27/2011
- Robot-Assisted Hysterectomy (OR-Live) - University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI, 9/20/2006
- Robotic-Assisted Hysterectomy (OR-Live) - Hartford Hospital, Hartford, CT, 10/02/2007
- Robotic-Assisted Hysterectomy for Endometrial Cancer (OR-Live) - University of North Carolina Hospital, Chapel Hill, NC, 2/21/2007
- Scarless Hysterectomy (OR-Live) - Baptist Hospital, Miami, FL, 10/17/2013
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Hysterectomy (National Institutes of Health)
Journal ArticlesReferences and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Comparison of Robotic vs. Standard Surgical Procedure on Postoperative Nursing...
- Article: Surgical and oncological outcome of robotic surgery compared to laparoscopic...
- Article: Genetic and Clinical Factors Associated with Chronic Postsurgical Pain after...
- Hysterectomy -- see more articles
- Female Reproductive System (National Cancer Institute)