See, Play and Learn
- No links available
Noroviruses are a group of related viruses. Infection with these viruses causes an illness called gastroenteritis, an inflammation of the stomach and intestines. It can spread from person to person, or through contaminated food or water. You can also get it if you touch a contaminated surface. Norovirus can be serious, especially for young children and older adults.
The most common symptoms of norovirus infection are
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach pain
Other symptoms may include fever, headache or body aches.
Treatment includes bed rest and lots of liquids to prevent dehydration. There is no specific medicine to treat norovirus infections.
Proper hand washing and safe food preparation may help prevent infections.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Stomach Bug Traced to Swimming in Contaminated Lake Water (05/14/2015, HealthDay)
- 'Cruise Ship' Norovirus Bug Can Spread by Air (05/06/2015, HealthDay)
Treatments and Therapies
- Norovirus Treatment (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Norovirus: Food Handlers (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
Statistics and Research
- Surveillance for Norovirus Outbreaks (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)