MedlinePlus produces XML data sets that you are welcome to download and use. If you have questions about the MedlinePlus XML files, please contact us. For additional sources of MedlinePlus data in XML format, visit our Web service page, or see our XML data sources handout.
If you use data from MedlinePlus XML files or build an interface that utilizes the files, please indicate that the information is from MedlinePlus.gov. Please see NLM’s API page for further guidance. To receive notification when MedlinePlus releases enhancements to its XML files or updates the documentation, sign up for our XML file email updates:
MedlinePlus publishes three types of health topic XML files daily (Tuesday-Saturday):
- MedlinePlus Health Topic XML
- MedlinePlus Compressed Health Topic XML
- MedlinePlus Health Topic Group XML
The six most recent files and their corresponding DTDs are linked at the bottom of this section.
The MedlinePlus health topic XML files contain records for all English and Spanish health topics. Each health topic record includes data elements associated with that topic. This associated data includes:
- basic metadata (health topic title, URL, language, date created, and ID),
- vocabulary (MeSH, "Also called" terms, and see references),
- full summary,
- group membership,
- related health topics,
- equivalent English or Spanish topics,
- related content in other languages,
- primary NIH institute, and
- all site records (links) assigned to a health topic page, including their names, URLs, organizations, category assignments, and standard descriptions.
These XML files allow you to download and use virtually all text and links that appear on MedlinePlus health topic pages. For complete details on all elements and attributes in the MedlinePlus health topic XML, see the MedlinePlus XML file description.
The MedlinePlus Compressed Health Topic XML contains the same information as the MedlinePlus Health Topic XML, but it is posted as a .zip file for easier downloading.
Files generated on August 01, 2015
Files generated on July 31, 2015
Files generated on July 30, 2015
Files generated on July 29, 2015
Files generated on July 28, 2015
Definitions of Health Terms
These files contain English definitions of health terms. The files contain
- health terms
- NIH sources for the definitions
These files are updated on an infrequent basis.
Definitions of Health Terms: Fitness XML (7 K)
Definitions of Health Terms: General Health XML (5 K)
Definitions of Health Terms: Minerals XML (9 K)
Definitions of Health Terms: Nutrition XML (14 K)
Definitions of Health Terms: Vitamins XML (9 K)
XML Schema Definition (XSD, 2 K)
Health Services Vocabulary
This file contains information on all of the Local Service Terms used for the Go Local Web site. The file contains
- service terms
- definitions and see references
- service types for each service term
The National Library of Medicine ceased maintaining this file as of March 31, 2010. This file is for reference only.