Medical Subject Headings
MeSH® Memorandum of Understanding
You should read carefully the following Memorandum of Understanding. Downloading MeSH data through this site indicates your acceptance of the following terms and conditions.
- MeSH Subject Authority File
- MeSH (Medical Subject Headings) is a controlled vocabulary thesaurus produced by the National Library of Medicine (NLM). The files are available via FTP and have online documentation.
- Terms and conditions of use
- No license is required to obtain the data via FTP for personal use with the exception of the MeSH translation (MTMS) files which are licensed for use by the individual organizations that produce them. For more information on availability, licensing, and fees for use of MTMS files please use the Contact NLM form to request information from MeSH.
- If the use is not personal, (1) the U.S. National Library of Medicine must be identified as the creator, maintainer, and provider of the data; (2) the version of the data must be clearly stated by MeSH year, e.g., 1997 MeSH; and (3) if any modification is made in the content of the file, this must be stated, along with a description of the modifications.
- Neither the United States Government, nor any of its agencies, contractors, subcontractors or employees makes any warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to data contained in the database, and, furthermore, assumes no legal liability for any party's use, or the results of such use, of any part of the database.
- You will not assert any proprietary rights to any portion of the database, or represent the database or any part thereof to anyone as other than a United States Government database.
- The MeSH data carry an international copyright outside the United States, its Territories or Possessions. These terms and conditions are in effect as long as the user retains any of the MeSH data obtained from this site.
- These terms and conditions are in effect as long as the user retains any of the MeSH data obtained from this site.
- MeSH files produced by the NLM are available to all requesters, both within and outside the United States. There is no charge for obtaining the MeSH files produced by the NLM, however MTMS files are licensed for use by the individual organizations that produce them. Please use the Contact NLM form to request information on the use and licensing of MTMS data.