National Library of Medicine Offers Disaster Information Resources on Hurricanes and Wildfires
With the hurricane season upon us and continuing battles with wildfires, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) leads federal efforts to provide online health safety information for people in the path of a hurricane or wildfire.
For wildfire information, go to: //sis.nlm.nih.gov/enviro/californiafires.html. Learn how to prepare and protect yourself from wildfires, and get information on how the smoke and particulate matter may affect your health.
And for up-to-date information on hurricanes, go to: //sis.nlm.nih.gov/enviro/hurricane.html. Here, you can find information on everything from taking care of pets during a storm to food safety for consumers upon returning home after a hurricane.
A complete list of disaster health web link pages can be found at: //sis.nlm.nih.gov/dimrc/subjectguides.html.
Additionally, the National Library of Medicine (NLM) has numerous Web sites that provide information for the general public, emergency planners, and public health professionals. NLM's Web site, //medlineplus.gov contain numbers Web pages with easy-to-understand information for the general public, available in English and Spanish.
- Hurricanes //www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/hurricanes.html
- Floods //www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/floods.html
- Disaster Preparation and Recovery //www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/disasterpreparationandrecovery.html
- Huracanes //www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/spanish/hurricanes.html
- Inundaciones //www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/spanish/floods.html
- Preparativos y recuperación ante un desastre //www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/spanish/disasterpreparationandrecovery.html