National Information Center on Health Services Research and Health Care Technology (NICHSR)
Core Health Policy Library Recommendations, 2000
by Naomi R. Adelman, M.L.S.
for Academy for Health Services Research and Health Policy
funded by National Library of Medicine
- American Journal of Public Health, http://www.ajph.org/
- Health Affairs, http://www.healthaffairs.org/home.htm
- Health Care Financing Review, http://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Research/HealthCareFinancingReview/index.html?redirect=/healthcarefinancingreview
- Health Care Management Review, http://journals.lww.com/hcmrjournal/Pages/default.aspx
- Health Economics, http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/%28ISSN%291099-1050
- Health Policy, http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505962/description#description
- Health Policy and Planning, http://heapol.oupjournals.org
- HSR Health Services Research, http://www.hsr.org/
- Inquiry, http://www.inquiryjournal.org
- International Journal of Health Services, http://joh.sagepub.com/
- JAMA, http://jama.ama-assn.org/
- The Joint Commission Journal on Quality Improvement, http://www.jcrinc.com/The-Joint-Commission-Journal-on-Quality-and-Patient-Safety/
- Journal of Health Economics, http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505560/description#description
- Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law, http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/journal_of_health_politics_policy_and_law/
- Journal of Public Health Policy, http://www.members.aol.com/jphpterris/jphp.htm
- Medical Care, http://journals.lww.com/lww-medicalcare/Pages/default.aspx
- Medical Care Research and Review, http://mcr.sagepub.com/
- The Milbank Quarterly, http://www.milbank.org/quarterly/about/
- The New England Journal of Medicine, http://http://content.nejm.org/
- Social Science and Medicine, http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description
Online Notification Services
- American Health Line, http://www.americanhealthline.com/
- Electronic Policy Network (Idea Central: Health Policy), http://www.movingideas.org/
- Medscape (Medscape eMed journals), http://www.medscape.com
- AARP, http://www.aarp.org/aarp-foundation/our-work/
- Academy for Health Services Research and Health Policy (AcademyHealth), http://www.academyhealth.org
- American Enterprise Institute, https://www.aei.org/
- American Public Health Association, http://www.apha.org
- The Brookings Institution, http://www.brookings.org
- Center for Studying Health System Change, http://www.hschange.com
- The Commonwealth Fund, http://www.cmwf.org/
- Employee Benefit Research Institute, http://www.ebri.org
- FamiliesUSA, http://www.familiesusa.org
- Grantmakers In Health, http://www.gih.org
- The Heritage Foundation, http://www.heritage.org/
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, http://www.jcaho.org
- Kaiser Family Foundation, http://www.kff.org
- Mathematica Policy Research, Inc., http://www.mathematica-mpr.com
- The Milbank Memorial Fund, http://www.milbank.org/
- National Academy of Medicine (formerly Institute of Medicine), https://nam.edu/
- National Committee for Quality Assurance, http://www.ncqa.org
- National Conference of State Legislatures, http://www.ncsl.org/
- National Governors' Association, http://www.nga.org/cms/home.html
- National Health Policy Forum, http://www.nhpf.org
- Rand, http://www.rand.org
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, http://www.rwjf.org
- Society for Medical Decision Making, http://www.smdm.org/
- The Urban Institute, http://www.urban.org
- World Health Organization, http://www.who.int
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, http:www.ahrq.gov
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, http://www.cdc.gov
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (formerly Health Care Financing Administration), https://www.cms.gov/
- Commerce Department (US) Bureau of Economic Analysis, http://www.bea.gov/
- Congressional Budget Office, http://www.cbo.gov
- Department of Health & Human Services (US), http://www.dhhs.gov
- Department of Labor (US), http://www.dol.gov
- Government Accountability Office (US), http://www.gao.gov/main.html
- Government Publishing Office (US), http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/index.html
- Health Resources and Services Administration (US), http://www.hrsa.gov
- Library of Congress, http://www.loc.gov
- Medicare Payment Advisory Commission, http://www.medpac.gov
- National Center for Health Statistics, http://www.cdc.gov/nchs
- National Institutes of Health, http://www.nih.gov
- National Library of Medicine, http://www.nlm.nih.gov
- Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation (DHHS), http://aspe.hhs.gov
- Office of Inspector General (DHHS), https://oig.hhs.gov/
- Office of Management and Budget, http://www.whitehouse.gov/OMB
- United States House of Representatives, http://www.house.gov
- United States Senate, http://www.senate.gov
Altman, S. H. & Reinhardt, U. E. (Eds.). (1996). Strategic choices for a changing health care system. Chicago: Health Administration Press.
Blank, R. H. & Bonnicksen, A. L. (Eds.). (1992). Emerging issues in biomedical policy: An annual review. Volume 1. New York: Columbia University Press.
Feldman, R.D. & Pauly, M. V. (Eds.). (2000). American health care: Government, market processes, and the public interest. Somerset, NJ: Transaction Publishers.
Feldstein, P. J. (1996). The politics of health legislation: An economic perspective (2nd ed.). Chicago: Health Administration Press.
Fuchs, V. R. (1994). The future of health policy. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
Garber, A. M. (Ed.). (2000). Frontiers in health policy research (3rd ed.). Cambridge: MIT Press.
Ginzburg, E. (Ed.). (1991). Health services research; Key to health policy. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
Lee, P. R. & Estes, C. L. (Eds.). (2000). The nation's health (5th ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett Publishers.
Marmor, T. R. (2000). The politics of medicare (2nd ed.). New York: Aldine De Gruyter.
Rover, J. (1999). Health care policy and politics A to Z (CQ's ready reference encyclopedia of American government). Washington, DC: Congressional Quarterly Books.
Shortell, S. M., Gillies, R. R. & Anderson, D. A. (2000). Remaking health care in America (2nd ed.). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Shortell, S. M. & Reinhardt, U. E. (Eds.). (1992). Improving health policy and management: Nine critical issues for the 1990s. Ann Arbor: Health Administration Press.
Starr, P. (1982). The social transformation of American medicine. New York: Basic Books
Plus titles from the Delmar Series in Health Services Administration. Albany, NY: Delmar Publishers, including:
Feldstein, P. J. (1999). Health care economics (5th ed.).
Litman, T. J. & Robins, L.S. (Eds.). (1997). Health politics and policy (3rd ed.). [wait for new edition]
Shortell, S. M. & Kaluzny, A. D. (Eds.). (2000). Health care management: Organization, design and behavior (4th ed.).
And titles from the RWJF Investigator Awards in Health Policy Research , including:
Millenson, M. L. (1997). Demanding medical excellence: Doctors and accountability in the information age.
Robinson, J. C. (1999). The corporate practice of medicine: Competition and innovation in health care.
Publishers and Distributors
- Amazon.com, http://www.amazon.com/
- Brookings Institution Press, http://www.brookings.edu/about/press
- Delmar Publishers, http://www.delmar.com
- Health Administration Presshttp://www.ache.org
- National Academy Press, http://www.nap.edu
- Robert Wood Johnson Investigator Awards in Health Policy Research, http://www.investigatorawards.org/