What is MedlinePlus?
MedlinePlus (https://medlineplus.gov/) is the National Library of Medicine's web site for consumer health information. The site offers authoritative, up-to-date health information, without advertisements, and is available anytime, anywhere for free. A Spanish-language version, MedlinePlus en español (https://medlineplus.gov/spanish), is also available.
What information is in MedlinePlus?
- Health Topics are the core of MedlinePlus. Health topics pages link to health information from NIH and other authoritative sources and also include a MEDLINE/PubMed® search, current news items about the topic, and links to related topics.
- Medical Encyclopedia - an extensive collection of medical images as well as 4,000 articles about diseases, tests, symptoms, injuries and surgeries
- Drugs, Supplements, and Herbal Information - prescription and over-the-counter medicines, plus herbs and supplements
- Current Health News - late-breaking stories about medicine and health
- Dictionary - spellings, definitions, and pronunciations of medical terms
- Multiple Languages - links to health information in over 48 languages
- Directories - locations and credentials of doctors, dentists and hospitals
- Other resources include:
- Facebook page, Twitter feed, Google+ page, email lists, RSS feeds, and a podcast - to help keep you informed about the latest health news and information
- Libraries - consumer health libraries providing services to local residents
- Special Collections of
- Easy-to-Read materials
- Health check tools
How are links selected for MedlinePlus?
MedlinePlus is not an exhaustive list of every health web resource. It is a selective list of authoritative health information sources from NIH and other government and professional organizations in the U.S. A link to the guidelines appears on every page.
Released October 22, 1998
Includes over 1000 health topics
Over 400 million people from around the globe use the site every year.
The Web site is updated nightly (date on page indicates date of most recent change)
For more statistics, see the MedlinePlus Statistics FAQ (https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/faq/stats.html)
Need more information?
NLM's toll-free number is 1-888-FINDNLM (1-888-346-3656)
NLM's e-mail address is email@example.com
A complete list of NLM Fact Sheets is available at:
(alphabetical list) https://www.nlm.nih.gov/pubs/factsheets/factsheets.html
(subject list): https://www.nlm.nih.gov/pubs/factsheets/factsubj.html
Or write to:
Office of Communications and Public Liaison
National Library of Medicine
8600 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, Maryland 20894
Phone: (301) 496-6308
Fax: (301) 496-4450