|August 15, 2000 [posted]|
|Hands On - Using Limits in a PubMed Search|
ant a quick way to find citations to English-language articles discussing therapies for children with sleep apnea published in 1999 to 2000?
Use PubMed's query box and the Limits feature. Here's how!
1. Enter sleep apnea therapy in the PubMed query box as shown in Figure 1.
2. Click on Limits on the PubMed features bar as in Figure 2 below.
3. The Limits screen opens as shown in Figure 3.
4. Select English from the Languages pull-down menu. See Figure 4.
5. Then select All Child: 0-18 years from the Ages pull-down menu as shown in Figure 5.
6. Specify the publication date range (leave MM & DD boxes empty) as in Figure 6 below.
7. Click the Go button and review the results. See Figure 7.
A box appears next to Limits in the features bar. The check indicates that Limits have been applied to your search strategy. To turn off Limits (for this or future searches), click the box to remove the check.
The Limits applied are prominently displayed in yellow just beneath the features bar as shown in Figure 7b below.
8. Optional step: click on Details to see how PubMed translated this search strategy. See Figure 8.
By Margaret McGhee
McGhee M. Hands On - Using Limits in a PubMed Search. NLM Tech Bull. 2000 Jul-Aug;(315):e1.