NLM Reading Rooms Conduct Policies
The National Library of Medicine (NLM) is committed to providing an environment for library users that is supportive of study, research, and scholarly collaboration. Library users are expected to:
- Understand and comply with NIH and NLM policies for access and security, including wearing an NIH visitor pass at all times.
- Behave in a manner that helps to preserve NLM collections and physical spaces.
- Refrain from consuming food and beverages in the reading room, rotunda, and entry lobby of the building. A cafeteria and canteen are available for use by visiting researchers.
- Handle all NLM materials, including collections, scanners, and other equipment, gently and with care. Writing in, or otherwise damaging library materials, equipment, furniture, or spaces, is strictly prohibited.
- Alert library staff to damaged materials, equipment, furniture, and facilities.
- Refrain from using mobile phones in the reading room and rotunda area.
- Use electronic devices at volumes that cannot be heard by others.
- Request permission before taking photos and follow the NLM Reading Room Policy on Photography Requests.