Unified Medical Language System® (UMLS®)
U.S. Food and Drug Administration Source Information
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) develops the FDA Terminology in cooperation with the U.S. National Cancer Institute (NCI). The terminology subsets are included in the NCI Thesaurus.
The NCI Thesaurus includes the following FDA Terminology subsets:
- Structured Product Labeling (SPL)
- Unique Ingredient Identifier (UNII) codes
- Individual Case Safety Report (ICSR) terminology
- Event Problem Code Terminology
- Global Unique Device Identification Database (GUDID)
The NCI Thesaurus has 15,000 terms from the FDA Terminology subsets
Metathesaurus Update Frequency
The FDA Terminology is updated annually as part of the NCI Thesaurus in the Metathesaurus.
- National Cancer Institute [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Cancer Institute (US); [cited 2014 Dec 02]. FDA Terminology; [updated 2014 Jan 10; cited 2014 Dec 02]. Available from: //www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/cancerlibrary/terminologyresources/fda
- National Cancer Institute [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Cancer Institute (US); [cited 2014 Dec 02]. NCI Subsets; [cited 2014 Dec 02]. Available from: //ncit.nci.nih.gov/ncitbrowser/pages/subset.jsf