Skip Navigation Bar

DOCLINE -- Report a Gap in Holdings

Question: How do I report a gap in holdings?


Missing volumes or years in holdings (gaps) can only be reported in permanently retained holdings. For limited retention holdings, libraries can indicate missing volumes in the Completeness field, but this information is not used by the routing algorithm.

To report a gap in permanently retained holdings:

  1. From the DOCLINE main menu, select Serial Holdings.
  2. Select Update/View.
  3. On the Serial Holdings Update/View Search page, input either: Journal Title/Title Abbreviation, NLM Unique ID, ISSN, or OCLC Number for the serial.
  4. Under Filters, make sure the checkbox for My Library is selected.
  5. Click SEARCH.
  6. If more than one serial title is displayed, select the appropriate bibliographic title.
    - If your library has no recorded holdings for this title, the serial holdings record displays with an Add button.
    - If previously reported, an ADD FORMAT button displays as well as Edit button(s) for previously reported format(s).
  7. Click Add or ADD FORMAT.
  8. Select the appropriate Acquisition Status.
  9. In the Permanently Retained holdings area, input Begin Volume and/or Begin Year data and End Volume and/or End Year for the initial set of holdings.
  10. Click Add New Range.
  11. Input Begin Volume and/or Begin Year data for holdings after the gap.
  12. Repeat Add New Range and input data as often as necessary to record your holdings.
  13. Click SAVE.

Related Questions:
How do I add a holdings record for my library?
How do I update a holdings record for my library?

Return to the top | Return to the list of DOCLINE FAQs | Return to the list of NLM FAQs